Best bookshelf speakers with a natural and mellow sound under 1 lac

To serve for different customers I believe. For instance the 7000n and 40n being an all in one system is aimed at general consumes, hence they have a warm and smooth sound. The 8006 and model 30 on the other hand is aimed at audiophiles going for separates hence a more neutral and detailed sound.
Apparently model 40n is on the warmer side, class AB.
30n was more on the neutral, class D design.

Why don’t you look at a pair of active monitors? Those are natural and with HF attenuation you can make it sound warmer. What about your dac? Does it color the sound?

Why don’t you look at a pair of active monitors? Those are natural and with HF attenuation you can make it sound warmer. What about your dac? Does it color the sound?
I had Presonus active monitors but they are only good for near field listening.
And no, my dac only makes the signal cleaner I checked with and without it.

You need DSP AND the knowledge how to use it. The DSP (start with a Behringer DCX2496) you can buy, the knowledge will need to be learned.

Note - buying a DSP and randomly EQing will likely not get you the desired result, it will however help you learn. If you spend enough time through trial and error you will most certainly get what you want.

Read some more posts, I am certain DSP will help you. A resistor offers a fixed change that can't offer much capacity for tweaking, if you like it then it is good but if not then it will not work. DSP will work to offer the sound you want, preserve (or not) the raw emotion and energy of sound, shaping the color to your preference. For reference I have tried a resistor as well as different cables to change the damping factor and DSP, I use DSP and normal cables and no resistor, that is not to say the cables or resistor don't have a sound, they do but I preferred it this way. Hope this helps. Final point, there is a large difference between a resistor and DSP. Try it, it helps.

Read some more posts, I am certain DSP will help you. A resistor offers a fixed change that can't offer much capacity for tweaking, if you like it then it is good but if not then it will not work. DSP will work to offer the sound you want, preserve (or not) the raw emotion and energy of sound, shaping the color to your preference. For reference I have tried a resistor as well as different cables to change the damping factor and DSP, I use DSP and normal cables and no resistor, that is not to say the cables or resistor don't have a sound, they do but I preferred it this way. Hope this helps. Final point, there is a large difference between a resistor and DSP. Try it, it helps.
This is a very good advice, he can even source from a computer and enjoy all the benefits of great digital equalizers and signal processing alogorithms. It can even educate him a little more about what kind of upgrade he is really looking for.

I think I almost achieved the right sound here. The pairing of Elac dbr62 and Audiolab 6000a after putting the grills on, with some toe out, lowering the height of speakers and the burn in has given me a natural and mellow sound I am after. Now I say almost the right sound because the audiolab as good an amp it is doesn't seem to have enough power to drive the dbr62 to the fullest. It is doing more than 80 percent of the job in a small room but something seems to be missing in the low end.

I do not want to replace the audiolab as it has a clean sound with a sweet treble which I like. So I wonder if I can use the audiolab as a preamp and add Marantz MM7025 as power amp which has 140 watts of power.

If I do that would I still get the same sound quality as I get from audiolab alone with added power or would this in anyway change things for the worse?

If I do that would I still get the same sound quality as I get from audiolab alone with added power or would this in anyway change things for the worse
I was really really happy with my rega elex-r with my evo and tanny xt mini speakers as this amp drives them beautifully,had enough headroom, good vocals and clarity was good too unless I heard O&B power amp and rega as preamp.
Introducing of this power amp in chain not only added wider soundstage but also had darker background, meaty and crystal clear vocals and bass was right and tight. Everything I was hearing was couple of notches above than previous and really elevated the mood.

Now I own one O&B :)

If possible, loan a power amp and try in your system,but at same time O&B power amp just gels with most of the system.
Best part is you can customise your O&B power amp based on you need.

I have no idea if it is discontinued. Hifimart restocked it recently and put up a thread here. One’d think they’d mention that it is a discontinued model if it is so.
Unfortunately it is incumbent on the purchaser to do his due diligence. Hifimart has a number of discontinued products on sale including the Mission SX-2, Rega RX-1 and till very recently, the Dynaudio Excite X14 - not a bad thing per se because as long as it was on offer for sale, the X14 was the "best bookshelf speakers with a natural and mellow sound under 1 lac". 😄

Is there a difference between adding a resistor to the tweeter and using an equalizer to reduce brightness?
The resistor would shelf down the entire range of frequencies that the tweeter is handling. According to measurements from different sites, the speaker is not bright. On real world listening, if someone found it bright, probably they might have compared it with a speaker which has full response or did the audition in a room which reflects highs more. Or probably the listener listened it at a position in the room where the bass nulls happen resulting in poor bass performance. That automatically translates to „bright“.

If possible, loan a power amp and try in your system,but at same time O&B power amp just gels with most of the system.
Best part is you can customise your O&B power amp based on you need.
How do you mean customise the power amp? And which model of O&B do you own?

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back