Best DAC under Rs 5k

ricky641b

Sorry Guyz I know their is already thread for DAC but my needs are different. I Want to Connect my Latest HDTV which has only Digital Optical Out to transfer sound but I have old Stereo Amplifier which only supports Analog Input . so i was making my mind to Buy DAC. i was looking on this website , and i like some DAC's so i have 2 Questions.
http://www.proaudiohome.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=DAC
1) Which wuld be best suitable DAC for me?
2) My Amplifier is pretty big (Dont know how much Ohms) and I have DJ like speakers/High watt Speakers connected with that. So will these small DAC's wuld be able to my job without getting damaged?

Last edited:
I have this DAC and was using it with my HDTV to connect to my Bose Companion 2.0 and its pretty good. I was planning to dispose it off as I have got the V-DAC and using the same now. This will perfectly suit your requirements and should come within your budget. If interested PM me and we can take it forward.

Thanks

I have this DAC and was using it with my HDTV to connect to my Bose Companion 2.0 and its pretty good. I was planning to dispose it off as I have got the V-DAC and using the same now. This will perfectly suit your requirements and should come within your budget. If interested PM me and we can take it forward.

Thanks
Yeah im interested Plz tell me the final price you are offering!...

Yeah im interested Plz tell me the final price you are offering!...

I am offering for 1.2k including shipping as I got this from Amazon directly so with shipping/customs it came around 1.5k some months back (my purchase price was $20.26+shipping+customs). Let me know if you are interested with going ahead. I think I am not able to send you any PM, so let me know your mail id so that I can send you the pictures for confirmation.

I am offering for 1.2k including shipping as I got this from Amazon directly so with shipping/customs it came around 1.5k some months back (my purchase price was $20.26+shipping+customs). Let me know if you are interested with going ahead. I think I am not able to send you any PM, so let me know your mail id so that I can send you the pictures for confirmation.

[email protected]

Please understand that by using SPDIF out and a DAC in the chain, you are replacing the TV's internal DAC. If you are not sure that your external DAC is not at least 1.3 times (subjectively) better than the internal one, you may see no sound improvement, and in some situations, adverse sound quality if the internal DAC was better than the external one.
Now contrary to popular believe, it is not just DAC chip but end to end implementation including power supply, clock (for jitter) and I/V stage Op-amps greatly determines the DAC output.
So please be sure that your external DAC does not become the weakest link.

Please understand that by using SPDIF out and a DAC in the chain, you are replacing the TV's internal DAC. If you are not sure that your external DAC is not at least 1.3 times (subjectively) better than the internal one, you may see no sound improvement, and in some situations, adverse sound quality if the internal DAC was better than the external one.
Now contrary to popular believe, it is not just DAC chip but end to end implementation including power supply, clock (for jitter) and I/V stage Op-amps greatly determines the DAC output.

I totally agree to the point but it was day and night difference when compared to my LG 6690 TV internal DAC and this tiny DAC when played back on the Bose companion active speakers. I think TVs are manufactured at a price point and their main selling point is the video rather than audio. So investing in a outside DAC will definitely improve the sound quality albeit small but big compared to the TV sound.

I Dont want sound improvement. Actually I just want to redirect my tv sound to Amplifer and then to speakers so i can have like home theater experience.
Its Stereo Amplifier which is very old only supports audio with 3.5mm jack and My TV Doesnt support Analog output , it only supports Digital Optical Output So i Just want intermediate which can help me connect My TV to amplifier. Thats my only purpose of buying DAC

I totally agree to the point but it was day and night difference when compared to my LG 6690 TV internal DAC and this tiny DAC when played back on the Bose companion active speakers. I think TVs are manufactured at a price point and their main selling point is the video rather than audio. So investing in a outside DAC will definitely improve the sound quality albeit small but big compared to the TV sound.

I have no aim of sound improvement (although if it does i wuld be more than happy). If my TV had internal DAC then i have not wuld have been needed External DAC at first place. I Dont know now some TV manufacturers are not providing analog output:mad: these days. they are only providing Digital Optical Out . My TV is pretty high End , it was gifted to me . When i first saw that it has no analog output i was more than shocked.

Thats very costly for me. Coz im getting that same at approx 16$ approx 1.1k including shipping from amazon.

I have no aim of sound improvement (although if it does i wuld be more than happy). If my TV had internal DAC then i have not wuld have been needed External DAC at first place. I Dont know now some TV manufacturers are not providing analog output:mad: these days. they are only providing Digital Optical Out . My TV is pretty high End , it was gifted to me . When i first saw that it has no analog output i was more than shocked.

Yes most of the TVs manufactured since a year or before stopped providing a RCA out. My older TV Sony Bravia V series 32" has a RCA out which is good and I was using the Bose with it directly but the so called high end TV that I brought LG 6690 3D TV does not have any RCA out only Toslink output ;)

Then the the 1200/- offer you are getting from FM is good enough. Otherwise next dependable DAC - the FiiO D03K DAC would cost you 2K .

Hello all,

I am looking for something similar to connect the optical-out of my set-top box to a stereo integrated amplifier. I saw a similar (to what Manniraj mentioned) FIIO product D03K, which has a warning that it does not decode Dolby or DTS Audio.

Question is, if I connect these converters to the optical out of STB, will I have a problem with audio, if the HD channel is Dolby/DTS audio?

TIA,

Hello all,

I am looking for something similar to connect the optical-out of my set-top box to a stereo integrated amplifier. I saw a similar (to what Manniraj mentioned) FIIO product D03K, which has a warning that it does not decode Dolby or DTS Audio.

Question is, if I connect these converters to the optical out of STB, will I have a problem with audio, if the HD channel is Dolby/DTS audio?

TIA,

The optical output of STB cannot carry HD audio but it can carry DD/DTS.
I think there should be some settings on STB to turn it off i.e., downmix to stereo.
In that case the DAC should have no problem playing the audio.

Hello all,

TIA,

The DAC which I had earlier OREI and also the Fiio all can decode only PCM audio and does not detect/work with DTS/Dolby. So on the safer side you can use the optical/coaxial out of the TV to connect to this DAC and use the HDMI cable to connect the STB to TV as I have not see the audio setting in STB to transmit as PCM but almost all the TVs have this option. This DAC will convert your PCM audio to 2 channel stereo and its good and very miniature to hide behind the TV or the STB.

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back