Best Linux distro for Media Server (Plex/Kodi/Roon)?

OM_2K19

Although Ubuntu served me quite well with my media server on a Cerlon based NUC, over time with the growing library, the poor NUC is struggling to keep up with the pace. So, the conquest started to find a resource-light OS distro, and after trying tens of distros, I finally found DietPi. It's a super light Debian-based distro that runs on multiple platforms (ARM/X86) and comes with a lot of built-in customization that makes it a perfect candidate for an IoT system. Give it a try.

In what way is it better than Windows? My windows is now handling over 6TB of music.

DietPi started with SBC and that is where their strengths are.

Cheers

In what way is it better than Windows? My windows is now handling over 6TB of music.

DietPi started with SBC and that is where their strengths are.

Cheers
Well, it's free, and probably that's the most significant advantage of any Linux distro over Windows for a dedicated Media Server. You can easily save around $200/400 on Windows Licensing. Apart from that, it's super light on your hardware compared to major Linux distros available today. They have also optimized it (modified kernels, latest ALSA drivers, better drive management, preloaded media server binary like Plex/Kodi/Roon, and many more), making it ideal for Media Server.

On a side note, in the case of a Plex Server running on a Windows machine, you need to log in to that machine for Plex Server to run. You can't run Plex as Service on Windows machines natively (Plex running as Service on Windows can't utilize GPU for processing like HW Rendering). But it's not the case Linux; Plex natively runs as a Service, making it a "set-and-forget" solution. They did start with SBC but evolved into a True IoT platform over time.

Well, it's free, and probably that's the most significant advantage of any Linux distro over Windows for a dedicated Media Server. You can easily save around $200/400 on Windows Licensing. Apart from that, it's super light on your hardware compared to major Linux distros available today. They have also optimized it (modified kernels, latest ALSA drivers, better drive management, preloaded media server binary like Plex/Kodi/Roon, and many more), making it ideal for Media Server.

On a side note, in the case of a Plex Server running on a Windows machine, you need to log in to that machine for Plex Server to run. You can't run Plex as Service on Windows machines natively (Plex running as Service on Windows can't utilize GPU for processing like HW Rendering). But it's not the case Linux; Plex natively runs as a Service, making it a "set-and-forget" solution. They did start with SBC but evolved into a True IoT platform over time.
I dont think Windows is priced any more. Since MS makes money off MS Office and Cloud DB, they are allowing free installation of both Windows 10 and 11.

I am so used to the Windows UI that I am willing to live with whatever shortcomings it has. It plays music music well, and makes it available across my house on other Windows, Android, and Apple OS.

I am not trying to belittle Linux. Just that, for me, Windows is a more familiar territory, and it will take some effort to shift. Mentally I can only think of Linux for SBC and Windows for PCs. Maybe, I have to experiment and change my attitude.

Cheers

I dont think Windows is priced any more. Since MS makes money off MS Office and Cloud DB, they are allowing free installation of both Windows 10 and 11.
They're only allowing Free Upgrades of Windows 10/11 from the previously licensed versions, no barebone installation without a license. So you do need a License. As an Ex-MSFT, I can tell you; they never give you anything for Free. :) Development of those beasts cost tons of $$$.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back