Blue ray question...i think!!

zoso02

Hi,

I am currently using a Pioneer grey market sort of DVD player. This is paired with the Yamaha HTR 5440 amp, matching 5.1 speakers and a 50" Samsung Plasma. Since this is a fairly old amp it does not support high definition formats.

Would it still make sense for me to buy a blue ray player if i was not changing the amp; since it will be connected through the amp?

Thanks,
Jasdeep

Blu-ray players can generally output decoded linear PCM, which makes sense if you have an old receiver. Does your receiver have HDMI inputs? If it can accept linear PCM over HDMI, then you should have no problems.

It only has the analogue, coaxil and fiber optic iputs. Will connecting through the firbre optic make a difference. Should I still buy a blu ray player if i cannot use the HDMI cable with my amp?

Does your amp have 5.1 or 7.1 inputs?

If yes, buy a blu ray player which can decode all the HD audio formats on board and built in analogue outs, then you are set.

If it does not then even then you can buy a blu ray player as above and later on upgrade your system when time and finance permits.

I hope this helps

Vinod

Thanks...it's a 5.1...the other thing i realised after talking to a friend is that my tv is HD Ready and not a full HDMI. This as i understand would mean that it would not show the 1080p resolution which is found in blue rays.

Will it still make sense to go in for a blue ray player or the regular dvd player that I am using will suffice.

blu ray discs are still quite expensive in india,do you have access to a rental service or do you plan to buy discs,even in hd ready tv there will be a large difference in the picture quality compared to dvd, if you sit like 10ft from TV wont find a difference in resolution, another option would be to buy a media player

Makes sense...don't have access to a rental service...will have to buy Blue Rays...else join a library. My sitting position is around 10ft from the TV. Why do you say it will not make much difference...should it be further away? Also, any media players that you recommend?

Thanks...

i meant you need to sit closer , may be at 6ft to realise the difference, unless your eyes are very special,mainly the comparatively pricier full hd tv's has better features like better contrast ratio which makes them look better, not the resolution imho. there are many many threads on the mediaplayer , please search

Ok...

So checking on my original question. With all the limitations on my current set up...will be make sense to buy a Blue Ray player or medial players? Will there be a worthwhile difference in video and audio?

Ok...

So checking on my original question. With all the limitations on my current set up...will be make sense to buy a Blue Ray player or medial players? Will there be a worthwhile difference in video and audio?

As i said earlier there will be a marked difference in picture quality, and whether it is worth only you can decide, player costs are not important but the software(discs) is, the cost of discs far exceed the setup cost in my case
regarding audio, i dont know my setup has hd audio capability and i havenot tried otherwise to tell you the difference

With all the limitations on my current set up...will be make sense to buy a Blue Ray player or medial players? Will there be a worthwhile difference in video and audio?

No, there would not be any worthwhile difference.

Reason is:

1. Blu Ray will downgrade Audio to SD while sending it over Optical to this receiver. So no benefit of HD Audio. On analogue, sub 20k blu ray players would be limited to Stereo.
2. From 10 meters, there is no "perceptible" difference in DVD and Blu Ray quality video.

However, I would suggest getting a media player. Not for the "Quality", but for Convenience. It can help you organizing all your media at one place and enables browsing Media from an easy to use interface.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back