BookShelf for PC, music production?

One of my friends is planning to buy a new speaker system for his PC that can be used for music production as well, but he needs them basically for listening to music.

He was also planning to invest in a sound card, which I discouraged hi to do as he plans to try his hand on music production and an interface would be a lt better option when he does get into it, than a sound card that is going to lack required interfacing options.

My question is that if I suggest him to get MAudio's AW30 or AW40 then will he need to invest in a sub and an amp to get decent results?

His music of choice is Rock, Pop and dubstep, so Bass IS important.

His budget was around 12k for a decent sound card and a 2.1 speaker system but I can convince him to get Bookshelf speakers if they wont need any other investment from him.

thanks!

...that can be used for music production as well...

Need more specifics about this. One thing it says is that the input (ADC) is as important as the output (DAC). It begins with having 2-channel analogue input, perhaps fed from a mixer, and then starts getting more and more complex, with inputs for instruments and microphones and/or pro-format digital connections

Dolphin Music is a British site, but take a look, and you'll see what I mean.

Need more specifics about this. One thing it says is that the input (ADC) is as important as the output (DAC). It begins with having 2-channel analogue input, perhaps fed from a mixer, and then starts getting more and more complex, with inputs for instruments and microphones and/or pro-format digital connections

Dolphin Music is a British site, but take a look, and you'll see what I mean.

I know music production isnt simple but it's just to get things started. What would you suggest someone with budget of 15k who wants to get into recording and mixing?

I think what is apt for that budget is to probably get some speakers and a MIDI interface to connect instruments to. Maybe then later an output interface and better speakers ?

Edit: If you dont think the budget is apt then you can suggest me what wld be a right budget for a start? He is on board to get speakers first then buy other stuff as and when possible. Are there any decent 2.1 speaker systems out there for 12k that have good enough quality to also serve as a monitors ? Also, are entry level monitors are loud enough to be used as casual speakers?

Last edited:
What I'm saying is that it has to begin with defining the requirements.

That's why I pointed you to the variety of interfaces available, to demonstrate that what you buy can only be determined by what you want to attach to it. A very popular card is the ESI Juli@ (yes, that is how they spell it) and it is very good value for money --- but if anyone was to buy it expecting to be able to plug in a microphone and a guitar, they would be sadly disappointed. You could give it the output from a small mixing desk, though!

I've never set up a home studio --- but, somehow, over the years, I've acquired bits of equipment with which I could :eek:.

I don't, I'm afraid, think that 12k is going to go far on this, but, for prices ...there is the internet. But first, your friend is going to have make up his mind what he wants.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back