Bose Lifestyle 650 reviews

Width I only have 4 inches either side to play with.

Hi

Def Tech Pro Cinema series is good....Look at the 800 or 1000 series...

If you are convinced with the Bose 650 size and performance and want to explore similar options...

Visit Bandra West Telome Audio (Husband & Wife Business....existence for the past 25 to 30 years)

They have these Pro Cubes which are exact copy of Bose Jewel Cubes and sound quite nice...go there for an audition and decide...these cubes can be hooked up to your existing avr......there are many others who also have tried copying Bose Jewel cubes in the market but from what i have heard and seen and even held in my hand,the Telome ones are much much better......

All the best

For what it's worth. I was using a Qacoustics q7000i slim line setup . They are around 4 inches in size, and look lovely with their curved shape. They have excellent reviews in all media. And they sound nothing like they look. Massive sound and good clear bass. I was really happy with them. Worth a look in my opinion. That will enable you to keep to your existing avr and atmos setup in place. All the best :)

Wow. Thanks a lot everyone I will have a nice and busy weekend.

I have not heard the Bose Lifestyle lately but had the Bose Am5 for stereo listening long back since I wanted a compact system, they were good for their time & lasted me a good 11 years till the panels came apart but were still in working condition. Later on moved to the Deftech Procinema 1000 with the Procenter 2000. Found them to be compact & they had a wider sound stage compared to Bose in 2 channel . But Procinema series as the name suggests are more suited for movies rather than 2 channel where you feel listening fatigue after a while. The concentration was more on the higher frequencies. The Prosub 1000 was good but not good enough for serious low bass below25 Hz & it would move all over the place at 60% volume. I found the procinema series to be overpriced for what it offers & it could be due to the taxes & customs duties added to the main cost. I sold them this year after using them for approx 3 years in mint condition. Especially the Subwoofer specs were misleading which are rated to go down to 18 Hz which was certainly not true as certain subwoofer test tracks which I played could not be heard nor felt. I wrote to Deftech to clarify this but there was no reply whatsoever from them which confirmed my doubts.
I was contemplating on Elac Debut B5, Qaccoustics 3020i & Dali Oberon 1 . I finally ended up purchasing Dali Oberon 1 for the fronts & surrounds after a lot of research since auditioning them was not a possibility since the Oberon's had not come in. Heard Elac Debut B5 & 6 at Kripa Electronics , Santacruz (W) & they sounded good all round but they could not be wall mounted which was my requirement unless you put a huge shelf on the wall which I didn't want..
The sound of the Oberon 1 compared to the Def tech promonitor 1000's is much better more smoother with a wider sound stage. The vocals are more pronounced & more easy on the ears. The Oberon 1's with the Oberon Vokal are great for 2 channel listening & movies. It has the warm smooth sound which I was looking for. Offcourse Audyssey XT 32 also did a great job where the sound is concerned. I get good sound at 52% volume on the receiver & subwoofer in a 14 feet long & 11 feet wide / height room but a subwoofer is definitely required since the Oberon 1 's are small with limited bass for their size .
If you have the space then you could go for Dali Oberon 3 or the Oberon 5 for the fronts which will give you a better sound stage & are well rated speakers. Other good speakers to consider are the Monitor audio Bronze/silver series, Elac, QAccoustics 3050i, Wharfdale Denton ( there is a sale on Wharfdale series on Hifi Mart) & Mission. If you are looking for a compact solution without much tweaking then the Bose may also be a good option. But Bose demo rooms are heavily treated specifically for this purpose & may not sound the same at your house.
At the end buy what pleases your ears keeping in mind your preferences, room & budget limitations.

Last edited:
Wow Nitin thanks a lot for the advise and suggestion. I will def check it out. Its also a matter of budget for me. Working goes like this:
Bose LS650 +65 OLED TV = approx 570000/-
Existing System with new fronts ((at the cost of losing the Fronts) so less quality : approx 300000

Wow Nitin thanks a lot for the advise and suggestion. I will def check it out. Its also a matter of budget for me. Working goes like this:
Bose LS650 +65 OLED TV = approx 570000/-
Existing System with new fronts ((at the cost of losing the Fronts) so less quality : approx 300000

Most welcome sunster, I am assuming that you have 3 lakhs budget for 65 Oled TV & fronts. In that budget you would be able to buy great speakers for the fronts. All the best.

just checked most speakers are satellites ...do you know of any slim on wall speakers having a max width of 4inches?

You can check the Dali Oberon On-Wall speakers. May be 4.7 inches in depth. Pls check the link below

I use the ELAC Cinema 5 speakers (5.0) along with a Wharfedale subwoofer connected to a Pioneer LX receiver. Unless I am doing any critical listening I cant make out if I am using satellites or my Wharfedale 220 series bookshelf speakers. Most of the times for movies the size of the speaker will not matter. I had even experimented by placing the Elac speakers over my Wharfedale speakers (across all 5 positions) so that positioning would not affect the sound. While watching Uri, I switched the speakers from Wharfedales to the Elacs and it was really difficult to know the difference. Yes there was a minor dip in the center channel output but barring that nothing mattered much.
For music may be it will matter that too if I listen in stereo mode and have time for some critical listening.

Hi Raghu and Amarendra. ...the concern is too much degradation in sound. I fear removing the Paradigm Monitor 9's shouldnt degrade the quality of movies and music heavily as im used to a ceratin sound quality level. I want to go for something like an on wall with multiple drivers but slim enough to fit within anout 4inches depth. Just nervous a sudden change from Floorstanders to Satellites may kill the sound.

Ah ...
- Remove FS get big TV (step up or upgrade)
- Get big TV settle for sats (step down or downgrade)
- what about SQ? (will it be a disaster)
We understand your predicament.

Trust me, with a good center/sub and your existing AVR, moving to capable sats will not degrade movie experience.
For music, there will be some compromise, but again with a well integrated sub it will not be a disaster.
Go out and hear some of the brands above in a real home or dealer curated setup. I promise you will be pleasantly surprised.

Got MA Radius 45 for surrounds; luck had it that I could get 2 pairs at bargain price.
Hooked one pair to the AVR as fronts; with a sub integration, the cheeky little fellows stand up to my main amp+speakers.

Cheers,
Raghu

Hi Raghu and Amarendra. ...the concern is too much degradation in sound. I fear removing the Paradigm Monitor 9's shouldnt degrade the quality of movies and music heavily as im used to a ceratin sound quality level. I want to go for something like an on wall with multiple drivers but slim enough to fit within anout 4inches depth. Just nervous a sudden change from Floorstanders to Satellites may kill the sound.

Hi

There are certain satellites that can handle a great deal of frequencies.....specs maybe overrated by some brands....trust your ears as you are already used to hearing sound quality at a certain level. Use that as a reference. Carry a pen drive with music and movie clips which you are familiar with the detailing and go for various auditions with Telome etc etc and take a call....

My cousin uses the Definitive Technology Pro Cinema series ...i think 800 or 1000 series and these do have passive radiators for their satellites. He has hooked them to a Marantz SR series AVR which has Multi EQ 32 XT and it has really calibrated and adjusted the speakers well. Movies and music is a nice fulfilling experience including concerts.

After calibration. He has manually tweaked the Audyssey Settings as FLAT. LFE + MAIN.....this has helped making these speakers more musical and also cater for movies too.....

Professional setups have separate power for satellites, subs and other speakers.....audyssey takes care of blending and freq gap matching. You can always tweak the LFE manually as per your linking.

Trust your instincts and ears....all the best....nothing to be nervous about!

Just check Tags harmony platinum c-100 or Definitive Techonology mythos GEM XL. They may solve your problem of space. You can accommodate TV and speaker simultaneously without sacrifice in sound quality. May not sound as good as your current system but you can enjoy them .

Back