Boston Acoustics MCS100 Vs Polk RM 6750 - Review and your views :)

angynagpal

Hi All,
I auditioned Denon 1611 with Polk RM 6750 and Boston Acoutstics MCS100 today with one of the members on this forum (Vinay aka Snorkel4u) in Gurgaon. We went in thinking mainly about the Polk speakers as we both had heard a lot about them.

While auditioning Polk (the scene was the street racing scene from Fast and Furious), Vinay (kudos to you boss...had you not pointed it out, I would have felt that RM6750 is the best speaker ever made in this price range:)) felt that the bass was almost non-existent. Infact he even sat next to the sub to check it was even working at all. He was totally disappointed, while I was still relatively happy, not because I thought that the sub was great (infact I agree with Vinay...the sub was very quiet. Forget shaking the room, it didnt even shake its cone :lol:), but because I thought that this is what we would get in this price, as since people had praised this speaker set so much, it surely cant be bad ;)!

But boy-oh-boy, was I WRONG :eek:!

The dealer then suggested we try Boston as well before we leave. We agreed! He hooked up Boston Acoustics MCS100. He played some music, and kept switching between the two speaker sets and immediately we felt that this speaker set was much clearer, much brighter and had a good down-firing sub! We immediately asked the dealer to play the same scene from Fast and Furious with this speaker set. MAN-oh-MAN....the bass from the sub was, at one point of time, shaking the very couch we were sitting on. It felt as if we were sitting in one of the super powered cars racing down the streets!! I was astonished....I was smiling from ear to ear! Even though the center speaker of MCS 100 felt less clearer and less brighter than that of Polk (dialogs were slightly quieter and less clear...very slightly), I decided to choose these over the polks in my short-list of speakers that I would like to pair with denon-1611! The sound was mind blowing, in its literal sense! And not once did the volume or effects hurt my ears :)!

Do keep in mind that the above audition was without the auto calibration (though I feel the Acoustics set might have been calibrated as it was already set up before we entered, while the polks were set up in front of our eyes. But the dealer said that both the speaker sets were without calibration and levels of all channels set at 0, and the speaker size turned down to small, so il take his word here)!

Now I want to know your experience with the above speaker sets, i.e. if you have heard them. Also if you are aware of any positive or negative points which I should be aware of, please do share as it would help me a lot :)!

Finally, the price mentioned by the dealer (I think he said its his final price) was:

1) Denon 1611 AVR - 32k
2) Polk RM6750 - 29k
3) Acoustics MCS100 - 35k

Based on what I have read on this forum, the quotes above do seem over-priced by a large margin. Does anyone know the on-going price, preferably in Delhi, for the above?

Thanks for your time guys!! Cheers!! :)

Last edited:
hi angy,

denon 1611 =28k
Polk 6750=18K

but if you bargain hard u can even get it on 44.5 to 45k. Well on reading your review i am very keen to see the boston accoustics speakers.

When i auditioned the polk 6750, i did not found/experienced it's cons at such level. Did you tried listening to music from it. Also was it connected to the denon 1611. I agree the polk subwoofer is bit weak but for a living room which is around 13x13 should be well. Do post your updates about your experience in auditioning diff systems as it shall help the ppl who are looking to get their new systems. Am anyways following ur's & vinay's posts already :)

angy, at the quoted price of 29k for the 6750 its definitely not worth it... however at many places it is available at less than 19k (I got it for arnd 17-18K including tax) and at that price it definitely becomes a very good choice.

The boston is a much better speaker set than the polk. However, If you are spending upwards of 30k for the speakers, I suggest you also check out the wharfedale moviestar 70+, Energy Take classic 5.1 and paradigm cinema ct 70. I have not heard the paradigms myself but have heard good things about it. The Energy might be very difficult to find.

On a side note, I have not faced the bass issue you were talking about. In fact I have played some pretty bass heavy scenes (LOTR sauron bursting intro.. the shock wave is subsonic and makes itself felt in any good woofer, the U 571 depth charge scene.. that scene is supposed to be great grandfather of most bass heavy tests).. the bass is pretty good, good enough to shake the bed and the floor, and well matched with the satellites. not as good as the cs10 or sw150 or other well known woofers mind you, but definitely not anemic. I suspect it may be a configuration issue.. the bass knob was mistakenly turned down by a large degree maybe?.. or may be something else.

Last edited:
ok, so i didnt know you have already blogged our demo trip :)

Yes, like angy said, the Polk lacked the BASS. I went near it to check if it was ON, and though it was it wasn't evident. At times the satellites were screeching enough that the sub seemed no existent. However Polk's sub was front firing, unlike BA's or Onkyo's which are down firing...

Angy... has depicted his demo like a fairy tale :) thats good!
however my version is a bit different, I am a little difficult to please (and in such less budget for speakers) I think I will remain unpleased forever and never be able to buy speakers that can satisfy me unless I get a nice dent in my pocket.

Coming back to the topic, I will always say BA sounded much better than the Polk's but I wouldn't say I was blown away with its performance.

In fact, I can dare to say, it sounded as good as the Onkyo 3300 in the Onkyo Snob Shop. yes, you heard me right. When I went to the Snob Shop (2 times) both times he played the same scene from King Kong, Empire estate plane fighting sequence... I heard the THUD, I felt my Couch shaking, I didn't feel the pressure or the base on my heart, but only the sensation of a nice Thump. A nice vibrating downfiring Woofer cone.

The satellites were not screeching. Infact I liked the entire set. Then he played some music CD, which was like Kenny G with Jhankar beats..... I like it was a clarinet along with drums....

I personally have STOMP! Live. This is the baap for testnig 5.1 effects, (not to mention even Angy had some nice test and demo clips from Official sample sites).

More Trivia about Stomp! here
Stomp Live (Video 2009) - IMDb

STOMP - Official Site

I am in love with them since I heard their DVD in Kandice Mumbai. Sadly enough we didnt get a chance to play this while auditioning the Polk.

Also, like angy, Even I am forced to believe that the Polk will perform much better once they are calibrated. Kittu's advice can't go in vain.

So far, I have ordered my Denon 1911 from US, so the hunt (for even better speakers) has become fierce. I have some cunning plans of trying to get a Demo of Klipsch HD500 in NCR and then ordering them viz Aramex/ SYW/ GEB.

Else, Energy take classic from Reliance Digital. They have 1 demo and 1 packed piece with them.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back