Break-in/Burn-in

For those of us that do not believe in burn in for most things (excepting perhaps speakers, cartridges....), well, no thanks.

But...

There's a lot of information there about various types of dummy loads. The sort of thing one seldom needs, but just might, one day.

There's a speaker burn in technique here you do something like reversing the polarity of one speaker, putting them face to face, a few inches apart, with a blanket over them, and playing the same mono signal on both channels. The reversed-polarity pulses cancel each other, making very little noise for a lot of speaker exercise.

Anybod got a link to the proper instructions for that? Done it?

There's a speaker burn in technique here you do something like reversing the polarity of one speaker, putting them face to face, a few inches apart, with a blanket over them, and playing the same mono signal on both channels. The reversed-polarity pulses cancel each other, making very little noise for a lot of speaker exercise.

Anybod got a link to the proper instructions for that? Done it?
The steps you outlined are good and "proper". No additional instructions needed. Except for maybe: Run pink noise as the signal.

Last edited:
I try to make a difference between belief and fact. But hey, It isn't easy! :)

But, if I'm going to believe in something, then I'll believe in it. Always possible you might find me believing something else, with equal conviction, next year. Or next week.

I've always found speaker burn-in easy to believe in. It's common sense, with the moving parts, etc, right? right? Well, apparently not right, according to some engineers who have actually measured speaker response at new and after long and heavy use. We had a thread on that.

So what to believe? Well, for now, I still "believe" in speaker burn-in. For what that's worth. Check back next year :lol:

(I certainly believe that ears and minds burn in, so I heard it is not any absolute answer at all)

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back