Bryston buc-1

sidvee

Any esteemed FM's that own or have heard this usb/ spdif converter? Excellent build quality from what I have read and seen in pics., and not too highly priced. Considering it for my second system.
Cheers,
Sid

@Roc, thanks, but I am looking for usb/spdif converter rather than a dac. Already have ordered a dac for my 2 system, and I believe external conversion creates best sq. Note to others reading this thread, kindly do not go OT, not really interested in why this view of mine is wrong, right, atrocious, insulting, defying common sense yadda yadda, and am certainly in no mood for unecessary arguments resulting in non educative and useless threads.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
@Roc, thanks, but I am looking for usb/spdif converter rather than a dac. Already have ordered a dac for my 2 system, and I believe external conversion creates best sq. Note to others reading this thread, kindly do not go OT, not really interested in why this view of mine is wrong, right, atrocious, insulting, defying common sense yadda yadda, and am certainly in no mood for unecessary arguments resulting in non educative and useless threads.
Cheers,
Sid

Its not a dac sidvee. Its a USB to spdif converter based on xmos with high quality clocks. The title of the page is showing up wrong. There are some decent reviews of this on headfi.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/736294/gustard-u12-usb-interface-8-core-xmos-chip

Ok I stand corrected ROC, will definitely check it out. It seems to be a to be a good price as well.
Cheers,
Sid

Sidvee, Have you researched the Audiophileo with its power supply ? sounds really well regarded and best part is it directly plugs into your dac without the need of a SPDIF

After reading the reviews I took the plunge and ordered from ebay :eek:. Should be getting by first week of December and I am at present outside India, so will get a chance to hear it by first week of January. Looks like a very good implementation, lets see how it gels in my setup with Audio-GD NFB 15.32 DAC. By the way its cheaper by $20 on aliexpress.com site but not sure about the refund policy and never ordered any on this site hence went with ebay.

I have all three M2Tech converters and can hear incremental improvement. M2Tech Evo is a cracking piece of equipment with a pitch dark background. Coming from a higher price point, I do hope that this converter sounds better than the M2Tech Evo. Though it is also possible that the price is for build quality.

Just an idea, for that kind of a price why not go for Audiophilleo? Older versions of Empirical OTR can also be had for less or more same ball park! But OTR are said to be excellent music making machines. I would seriously consider OTR ahead of the Bryston.

Sidvee, have you got the pricing right? My Google search tells me the Bryston buc-1 is more expensive than the M2tech Evo, the one in your main system.
Or have things changed in the main system?

Thanks naturelover, in my main system I have the triple chassis m2 tech setup with clock and psu, so it retails almost at double the bryston, hence my post on the pricing. I firmly believe that the clock makes a huge differennce, jitter being, imo the most important determinant of sq. Consequently the best clock implementation is highly desired.
Cheers,
Sid

Sidvee, Have you researched the Audiophileo with its power supply ? sounds really well regarded and best part is it directly plugs into your dac without the need of a SPDIF

Thanks Arj. Will check it out. I have a price range of about $600-700 in mind for this, so will try to research as many options in this range before pulling the trigger.
Cheers,
Sid

I didn't realise that the buc 1 was not just a converter but has a clock as well. Does that not make it more a DAC than the converter that Bryston are calling it?

Thanks naturelover, in my main system I have the triple chassis m2 tech setup with clock and psu, so it retails almost at double the bryston, hence my post on the pricing. I firmly believe that the clock makes a huge differennce, jitter being, imo the most important determinant of sq. Consequently the best clock implementation is highly desired.
Cheers,
Sid

After reading the reviews I took the plunge and ordered from ebay :eek:. Should be getting by first week of December and I am at present outside India, so will get a chance to hear it by first week of January. Looks like a very good implementation, lets see how it gels in my setup with Audio-GD NFB 15.32 DAC. By the way its cheaper by $20 on aliexpress.com site but not sure about the refund policy and never ordered any on this site hence went with ebay.

Even after 4 days of booking and the DAC being shipped by the ebay seller the tracking number is not showing up on the China Post tracking site. The seller also is not responding since 2 days to my mails regarding the tracking number. This is the first time I can see that the tracking number not showing up on the ebay.com purchase from China. Various online sites say that sometime it might take more than a week to show up on the tracking site. So fingers crossed till that another week or else I have to raise a refund on the PayPal site. The seller has got 99% rating so hopefully it might be my bad luck this time.

I didn't realise that the buc 1 was not just a converter but has a clock as well. Does that not make it more a DAC than the converter that Bryston are calling it?

I am not really an expert but from what I understand is that when the usb/spdif converter uses its own clock rather than rely on the computer clock, then timing errors which cause jitter is reduced significantly. And what I understand is that external chassis converters do this most efficiently. I can hear the difference with external converters more so than connecting usb directly from computer to dac, so at-least for me this is working.
Cheers,
Sid

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back