Budget Acoustic Treatment of a Small Room

Hi,

My room size is 10x12.

I read most of the threads here and understand that rooms acoustics plays a very important part. I'm currently interested in some cheap solutions.

I already have carped in my floor.

I'm thinking of covering all walls with thermocol. The corners and intersection with diy bass trappers created with wooden frame and rock wool or glass wool inside it.

bass trappers behind the speakers. and 1st reflections point.

Now what do you guys recommend???? is there anything is should improve on, should i opt for should i stick to professional bass trappers or diffusers. Also how do i create diffuser cheaply? and another thing is i live in kolkata , and i cannot find any where where acoustic materials ar sold. Anyone knows??

Hi,

My room size is 10x12.

I read most of the threads here and understand that rooms acoustics plays a very important part. I'm currently interested in some cheap solutions.

I'm thinking of covering all walls with thermocol. The corners and intersection with diy bass trappers created with wooden frame and rock wool or glass wool inside it.

Now what do you guys recommend???? is there anything is should improve on, should i opt for should i stick to professional bass trappers or diffusers. Also how do i create diffuser cheaply? and another thing is i live in kolkata , and i cannot find any where where acoustic materials ar sold. Anyone knows??

Acoustic treatment on a budget will require correct estimation + choice of materials. My HT room also have a budget/minimal acoustic treatment.

I have treated the room walls with glasswool + particle board combination.
Front wall have thicker and lot of glasswool + hard board combination to support LCD TV etc.

you can follow what other respected members like Vinay/santhol/subash have done to get various ideas and proper estimation.( search the forum, there are plenty of threads for the same) :)

first decide what you want to control, absorptions or reflections...(thermocol by the way is reflective..)..also surfaces with repetitive patterns may diffract and may not be ideal for a diffusive sound...
some Kolkata based discussion on room acoustics with inputs from a very knowledgeable person, who for some reason is not associated with this forum anymore..

Sound Proofing Services/Materials

Last edited:
Subhadeep

You will find it educational to look at some of the earlier threads, to get a better understanding of what can be done via diy. I am also in the process of doing somethings myself to a budget. It makes sense to ask specific questions once you know a bit more.

i would first suggest you to acquire ur entire system, play it hear it and then find the gaps and find the solution for the same.

carpet is good sound insulation and absorbers... so are furnitures. jst make the room sound leak proof by putting/by using rubber sheets on the edges of the windows and doors. its same rubber as used in cycle tubes or may b a bit thicker.

the same could be easily found in chandni.

Last edited:
thanks for the advice. I'll go to the market tomorrow for estimations and other costs and i'll let you guys know and ask for suggestions, also my room is producing echo and i have only 2 furniture in room, i think i'll exclude thermocol from list as it produces echo.

Subhadeep,
You can make bass traps and acoustic panels with Jon Risch recipe, which is pretty easy to make. You have to google Jon Risch to find all the detail. The material required for these bass traps is wire mesh, glass wool, polyester batting, burlap/hessian cloth. All these things are available in Chandni Market except glass wool which you will get in the shops dealing with refrigeration goods at the junction of Chandni Market & Ganesh Chandra Avenue.
Regards
Vasu

Hi,

My room size is 10x12.

I would strongly advice against using flammable materials like thermocol for acoustic treatment. Make sure that you only get proper fire retardant material. A room where every wall is covered with thermocol or egg cartons will not only be very susceptible to catching fire, it can be fatal. Thermocol produces poisonous gasses when it is burned.

Try and avoid synthetic material like polyester, thermocol, nylon, etc. Most of these can burn quite fast. Fire retardant material for acoustic treatment is not cheap, but this is one place where it is better to be safe than sorry.

To find where acoustic materials are sold, you can contact firms dealing in studio equipment. You can also call up studios or radio/tv stations to get to know suppliers dealing in what you require. A google search can also be a good way to find suppliers. I would avoid a HiFi dealer, as they mostly tend to sell with higher margins than companies dealing with professional products and commercial clients.

-- no1lives4ever

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back