Budget amplifier for Elac Debut B5.2

I'd ignore the Pioneer.
The Marantz and Yamaha (R-S202) are both good. There is only one catch. I doubt if you can buy one for the budget you've set aside.
A nice alternative is this Onkyo integrated and the new Emotiva TA1. Unfortunately, The latter will be a blind buy. I've heard a couple of Emotiva's and its a safe bet with them.

Hi,
Can you please help me deciding the amplifier for ELAC Debut B5.2? I have shortlisted following 3 amplifiers. Are they good? Which one is better if cost factor is IGNORED? Room is not big.

1) Pioneer A10AE
2) Marantz PM5005
3) Yamaha S-R202

Thanks a lot!
If you’re going for budget, these amps
will leave you underwhelmed quite soon with the Elac. I’d suggest the NAD 316BEE v2 and the Cambridge Audio AXA35. I had a Marantz PM5005 - made a mistake of looking at the price and the wattage. I should have gone for the NAD right then. Also, the overall tonal balance lacked life. Can’t comment On the pioneer and Yamaha as Ive never heard. All these are subjective observations- always get an audition if possible.

If you still want to go with those budget amps, another alternate but great speaker would be the PSB P5 Alpha.

If you’re going for budget, these amps
will leave you underwhelmed quite soon with the Elac. I’d suggest the NAD 316BEE v2 and the Cambridge Audio AXA35. I had a Marantz PM5005 - made a mistake of looking at the price and the wattage. I should have gone for the NAD right then. Also, the overall tonal balance lacked life. Can’t comment On the pioneer and Yamaha as Ive never heard. All these are subjective observations- always get an audition if possible.

If you still want to go with those budget amps, another alternate but great speaker would be the PSB P5 Alpha.
For a 5 inch speaker, the Alpha P5s do make a lot of sense, especially considering their stellar sensitivity of 89db. However, they do suffer from audible port chuffing in bass heavy songs at high volumes.

If you can spare a few cubic inches of extra shelf/desk space, I'd strongly recommend a 6.5 incher, unless you're pairing a 5 incher with a sub.

Hi,
Can you please help me deciding the amplifier for ELAC Debut B5.2? I have shortlisted following 3 amplifiers. Are they good? Which one is better if cost factor is IGNORED? Room is not big.

1) Pioneer A10AE
2) Marantz PM5005
3) Yamaha S-R202

Thanks a lot!
Forget about the three shortlisted and get the PM6007. It has all the goodies one requires including subwoofer out, an internal DAC, capability to bi-wire or drive two speakers and it sounds great with most speakers. It could very well be the last amp you ever get.

For a 5 inch speaker, the Alpha P5s do make a lot of sense, especially considering their stellar sensitivity of 89db. However, they do suffer from audible port chuffing in bass heavy songs at high volumes.

If you can spare a few cubic inches of extra shelf/desk space, I'd strongly recommend a 6.5 incher, unless you're pairing a 5 incher with a sub.

Forget about the three shortlisted and get the PM6007. It has all the goodies one requires including subwoofer out, an internal DAC, capability to bi-wire or drive two speakers and it sounds great with most speakers. It could very well be the last amp you ever get.
I have an Yamaha R-N602 with has a internal DAC + Network Streamer. It sounds good to me with my current setup.

I have an Yamaha R-N602 with has a internal DAC + Network Streamer. It sounds good to me with my current setup.
I'm sure it's a great option too. Wasn't in the OPs shortlist (what i suggested was already pushing his budget) and Haven't heard it either so i can't comment.

Thanks for all your inputs. Actually, I ended up buying Elac B5.2, Modi Schiit 2 and Maranz PM5005
It's not about how loud the amp can drive a speaker. It's about clarity, dynamics, agility,etc and these get compromised if the amp is unable to drive the speaker well.

As an example, these speakers have awesome bass. Bass production needs power and if the amp cannot give the needed amount of power immediately, then the beats will sound flat. Amp needs to hace sufficient power and headroom to provide the speaker with instantaneous power.

Try to audition different amps with your speakers and pick the one you like most.

MaSh
With less experience, patience and budget, I ended-up buy Marantz PM5005 along with Modi Schiit 2, Elac B5.2 couple of years ago. Source is Raspberry PI Volumio.
I can understand all of the inputs more clearly now with experience. Sound quality does sound lesser.

I would like to Marantz PM5005 now. I can afford better one. Can you please share your comments?

Thanks for all your inputs. Actually, I ended up buying Elac B5.2, Modi Schiit 2 and Maranz PM5005

With less experience, patience and budget, I ended-up buy Marantz PM5005 along with Modi Schiit 2, Elac B5.2 couple of years ago. Source is Raspberry PI Volumio.
I can understand all of the inputs more clearly now with experience. Sound quality does sound lesser.

I would like to Marantz PM5005 now. I can afford better one. Can you please share your comments?
Yes those Elacs would love a more powerful amp. Raspberry Pi is a good source. Are you using it with any HAT?
I would like to know the options where I can sale it and what would be the better amplifier ?
You could post it in the classified section of this forum, OLX or Facebook Marketplace. What next would depend on your budget and what you feel is lacking in your current setup.

MaSh

Yes those Elacs would love a more powerful amp. Raspberry Pi is a good source. Are you using it with any HAT?

You could post it in the classified section of this forum, OLX or Facebook Marketplace. What next would depend on your budget and what you feel is lacking in your current setup.

MaSh
Raspberry Pi is connected to Schiit Modi DAC. I stream lossless music to Raspberry .
I will post it to classified. My budget will be around 30k. I cant put it in words what part is lacking. I think it lacks overall musicality. Sound stage and imaging of these speakers is amazing. Any suggestions for this budget?

Raspberry Pi is connected to Schiit Modi DAC. I stream lossless music to Raspberry .
I will post it to classified. My budget will be around 30k. I cant put it in words what part is lacking. I think it lacks overall musicality. Sound stage and imaging of these speakers is amazing. Any suggestions for this budget?
How do you connect the raspberry Pi to Modi Dac? Via usb? Do you use any hat?

Okay, for 30k you can look at pre used integrated amps churning out 100w at 8ohms per channel.

MaSh

Yes, via USB.Without HAT. Is HAT useful for USB output?
As an upgrade I think you can try a HAT and see if that improves the sound quality. A Digione/USBridge Signature hat from Allo is very popular on the forum and is known to give very good results.

MaSh

Having experienced the Marantz PM 5005, I can say that it is a fine integrated amplifier and the phono stage is ok. However, before purchase always audition the combination you are planning to purchase, including the source, interconnects and speaker cables.
Whats your opinion on Marantz PM5005?

Hi Abhi-JET. The PM 5005 is in use with a family member for the past three years. Earlier paired with Polk Audio Monitor 40 and subsequently with a Bose AM -5. In both cases the amplifier provided a sound leaning on neutral , with no harshness or hi frequency jarring. As it is not very powerful and, to me, running 4 ohm speakers at higher volumes may stress it, it needs careful room size(small) and speaker matching. If not used carelessly ie speakers inadvertently shorted or inverter used, the amp should giveyears of trouble free service. Ok phono stage no dad.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back