Budget, Upgradeable stereo setup

abhinav

Hi folks,

Have been lurking around and asking questions here and there, but decided to start a separate thread so as to not hijack others' :)

Background :
* Noob when it comes to music equipment, starting from scratch.

* Want a system primarily for Music, but would like to connect to PC/DVD/TV so that I get better audio quality (currently PC/TV have stock speakers etc, so any thing will probably sound very good).

* Music source - currently none, planning to buy Audio CDs and converting to FLAC - so I should be able to play via the computer as well as a CD player (have a philips DVD/CD player to start with). Not planning on getting another source, but this needs to be considered prob in AMP suggestion.

Thoughts

* Would like to go for an Amp + 2 speakers now, and get the others over time. Willing to change this model if required

* Looking for VFM deals at low/mid end, available locally

* Planning to spend around 12-15k for the AMP, and another 10-12k for speakers. Is this enough to start with ? Lower is always better :) Would like to keep it within 25k if possible, 30k max.

* Upgradeability to a 2.1 or higher would be a good thing, so that the PC/TV/DVD quality can improve over time

* Types of music - Film, Ghazal, instru etc, nothing very hard rock type, primarily at low volume

* Room size - around 12x8

Could folks suggest where to start ? Amp or Speaker, and which ones ?

I almost decided on Topping TP20, but it doesn't have multiple sources etc. But still, am willing to consider it if I can pair it with some speakers, that can be reused nicely once I upgrade.

Also, what places in Bangalore would be good to try out these *budget* amps/speakers ? I see few names being mentioned, but don't want to get into a high end place when I have no intention of buying one !

Any other advice is welcome.

Currently considering :
* Norge 1000 (10k ?) . Reasons : looks to fit budget and requirements.
* What is a good place to audition and buy ?
* What are some upgradeable VFM speakers (for around 10-12 k) to go with this ?
* Alternatives to Norge 1000 in similar or bit higher price range ?

Last edited:
You can also try out this combo i.e a NAD C315BEE Amplifier with PSB Alpha B1 speakers, this combo will set you back by 36.5K but will give you ultimate satisfaction for your money spent for a longer time.

Ashish

Nad with PSB is a good combination, You can also try the Marantz PM 5004 with speakers like Mission, PSB, Dali, QAcoustics. All these combination will be within your budget.

cheers

Thanks Ashish, soundofmusic ! Will audition all three (Norge, NAD, Marantz PM 5004). Just need to check out which of the folks have them all.

Based on some more reading, the other option would be to get a "musical" :) AVR which supports more optimum Stereo output. Which ones would fit in my budget, so that I can demo them as well ?

In case you want to take the used equiment route:

Mordaunt Short 904i Floorstanding Speakers

Went through the same exercise a few months ago. Eventually bought a used Bang & Olufsen (35 year old, but very decent sound) and Wharfedale 10.1. AMP+Speaker+Cable < 25k.

For auditioning you can visit the following places in Bangalore (went to all of them):

1. Vector on Brigade Road (Wharfedale/Norge).

2. Final Touch on Mission Road (PSB, Alpha B1 will be within your range).

3. ARN Systems (Dali/Monitor Audio/Marantz,NAD. Their listening room was under repair when I went).

4. Audio Planet behind BDA complex in Koramangla (Mordaunt Short, Monitor Audio, Cambridge Audio). Be warned that Mr Palani doesn't like budget customers. Prepare yourself for a lecture on the benefits of Musical Fidelity equipment while you are there :)

5. Cinebels on Lavell Road - Nice listening room but they may not have anything in your range.

If you have unreadability in mind, do not buy a low powered Amp. It severely limits the choice of speakers.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back