Buying Turntable Motor units from London. Easy or a hassle ?

Hiten

My friend is travelling to London (Harrow). Any source to procure stand alone motor units like Garrard 401 or even Technics SP series ? I am OK with Denon/Teac/Sony motor units too. Infact any units with weighted rumble figure of more or less around -60/-50 dB specified when new.
Don't want to put my friend in to too much trouble. For old electronics Customs would be a hassle too. Isn't it ?
Thanks and regards.

Lot of things can be brought as part of checked in baggage. No one cares about small and medium sized units. If it's big, then they mark x on your bag and ask questions. Couple of turntable motors that I got were not questioned and on one occasion, when I was questioned, they were ok with hobby explanation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. He is a good friend and travelling with family. He even agreed to carry heavy packages as they are four member family. But I didn't want to bother him. A small stand alone unit would be OK.(No dust cover or tonearm)

Any shops or area to look for in and around London ?
Regards

I have brought tables through customer packed in checked in luggage and sometimes even boxed separately. Never had any trouble with customs at all. Have arrived after international trips, at New Delhi, Chennai, Mumbai, Bangalore, Kochi and Trivandrum airports.

Thanks.
But as of now I am totally clueless where to find one. I have to give him some guidance. Do they have secondhand hifi shops in and around London ?
Regards.

Search Craigslist London > Electronics. There are many amazing turntables on offer.

I'm originally from London, Harrow as it happens! But now retired in Goa.

Last week I managed to bring 30Kg worth of kit and they Scanned the big container with all the gear - the big toroidal transformer in the Amp could clearly be seen but they didnt open it, I scarpered away pretty quick with all the gear once they cleared it:yahoo: It depends on your luck really and how busy they are doing checks. On a trip before six months ago they charged me 1500 rupees duty on a Computer Monitor.

I've bought and sold lots of kit on ebay UK , sold a Linn Sondek and Thorens 150 Turntables. So ebay is your best bet to get hold of quality gear. Important to make sure the seller secures the arm and removes the platter if its a suspended type.

Thanks. As I said carrying will not be a problem. They are four member family. Customs also I understand is dicey. The problem is finding one. With Personal collection on Ebay items. I can not bid from another country(i.e. from here). My friend is also not responding. Anyway he is still there for one month. Tonearms, plinth and dust covers I am avoiding so as not to be a big size packaging for him. Standalone units like Garrard, Teac, Sony, Denon, Technics are OK. A small packet so he can carry easily.
Linn Sondek is a classic turntable. I like it. It is my third favourite; second is Kenwood L07 (out of reach) and first one is Technics SL-Q3 which is making music for me right now. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush :lol:
Regards.

Linn sondek is legendary.

Thorens 150/160/166 ... etc are good.

Rega Planar very good too, best value for money. (may buy the new model, one day myself)

Technics SL7 is an amazing thing!

Old Dual CS-505 series are worth having.

Old Sansui SR-222 Mk II also worth having.

Good luck in your quest in finding one or bits of one perhaps!

Try Gumtree.com it's good option for old vintage stuff in UK.

Sent from my MotoG3-TE using Tapatalk

Have to be careful with Gumtree get lots of scammers and stolen items on there.

Beauty of ebay is that you can check feedback and look at the history of what the persons been selling.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back