Cable length

Tony3d

Now that I've solved that slight buzz I was getting from my Dual 701 turntable, I want to know if I use a fairly high quality cable, that is about ten feet longer will it introduce buzz again? Before I was using two cables joined together by two radio shake couplers. When I removed the couplers, and plugged the table directly into the preamp with the 5 foot cable the buzz disappeared. I'm assuming it was the couplers, and not the length of the two cables.
IMGP0875.jpg

Now that I've solved that slight buzz I was getting from my Dual 701 turntable, I want to know if I use a fairly high quality cable, that is about ten feet longer will it introduce buzz again? Before I was using two cables joined together by two radio shake couplers. When I removed the couplers, and plugged the table directly into the preamp with the 5 foot cable the buzz disappeared. I'm assuming it was the couplers, and not the length of the two cables.
IMGP0875.jpg

I think this might be problem of acoustic feedback.Interconnect should not be more than 2 ft.Try to place 2 squash balls cut in halves under your TT's feet should minimise feedback.

Regards,
Sachin

Is your phono pre-amp a stand-alone unit? Can you put it near the turntable, and then take the ten-foot cable to your amp.

It's just an idea, I do not know if it is technically correct or not, but I think the line-level output of your pre-amp will survive the ten-foot journey better than the very low-level output of your turntable.

TTs usually need an earth connection to stop them buzzing.

Back