cabling bi-wire speakers with links

nandac

if you use the gold plated links to connect the higher/lower frequencies of the speaker, where do you hook up the actual cable - the cable binding slots for the lower or higher frequencies?

If you have gold plated links you can connect with either + and -. Electrons are impartial as long as you dont connect both to the positive or negative which will make a short circuit and destroy your amp if it doesn't have a protection circuit.

Speakers which have the option to be biwired have 4 binding posts behind with the two red ones connected and the two back ones also connected by some wire / plate. You will have to remove the wires / plates. Now you have four post two going to tweeter and woofer + and two to tweeter and woofer -. Connect the positive and negative as already discussed in the chord silverscreen thread. I believe you have those.

Last edited:
Connect the positive and negative as already discussed in the chord silverscreen thread. I believe you have those.

i am talking about using the links - not using a biwire cable.

when using links, where do you hook up the actual regular cable - the binds for the higher or lower frequencies?

IMO it doesn't matter whether you use it on the top two or bottom two binding posts but the conventional wisdom says that you use the bottom posts which usually go to the woofers.

IMO it doesn't matter whether you use it on the top two or bottom two binding posts but the conventional wisdom says that you use the bottom posts which usually go to the woofers.

right but somewhere on the net i read yesterday that it should go to the higher frequencies. i am trying to find where i read that.

btw practically listening, wiring the single wire cable to the hi-frequency posts (contrary to conventional wisdom), has definitely accentuated those frequencies. so obviously the gold plated links provided by sonus faber are not optimally functional. guess have to start looking at chord links or something similar to improve performance.

btw practically listening, wiring the single wire cable to the hi-frequency posts (contrary to conventional wisdom), has definitely accentuated those frequencies. so obviously the gold plated links provided by sonus faber are not optimally functional. guess have to start looking at chord links or something similar to improve performance.

There is a possibility for your observation as the current draw could be higher than normal for the tweeter due to the way the crossover might be setup. What is the effect if you connected to the woofer terminals? Does the high frequencies get muffled? The links also play a major role in the final sound reproduction. Using quality ones would be a definite help.

The biggest benefit of bi-wiring in my opinion is smoother bass and clearer highs and midrange due to the individual cables managing the current for the relevant frequencies along with the cross over.

There is a possibility for your observation as the current draw could be higher than normal for the tweeter due to the way the crossover might be setup. What is the effect if you connected to the woofer terminals? Does the high frequencies get muffled? The links also play a major role in the final sound reproduction. Using quality ones would be a definite help.

The biggest benefit of bi-wiring in my opinion is smoother bass and clearer highs and midrange due to the individual cables managing the current for the relevant frequencies along with the cross over.

i don't know about highs getting muffled, only now the highs and midrange seem clearer and smoother - i kinda hear details that i didn't hear before. (tracks from van morrison's moondance).

also when connected to the woofer, it kinda got harsh at high volumes - even some tiny level of distortion. that's gone now. (tracks from the rolling stones 'sticky fingers' and black sabbath's 'nib').

do we have any speaker companies specifically talking about how links/cables should be used together?

Last edited:
>Whilst on this subject it is worth mentioning the gold-plated brass links that connect the bass and treble inputs on the back of a bi-wireable speaker. With the odd >exception, these flat, gold-plated links will be found on almost every bi-wireable speaker. Removing these and replacing them with either short runs of the speaker cable >you are using, or better still, fitting a purpose made set of links (Chord Signature Speaker Links) can dramatically improve the performance of the speakers.

here i have a quesiton :

in a biwireable speaker, when connecting with a single wire cable, can we use the same wire to link both the higher and lower frequencies (one for positive and one for negative)?

so have enough bare wire from the cable so that you can run the cable from the top slot to the bottom slot?

will that work?

appreciate any insights.

Last edited:
if you use the gold plated links to connect the higher/lower frequencies of the speaker, where do you hook up the actual cable - the cable binding slots for the lower or higher frequencies?

Something that I learnt from Mordaunt Short designers long time back and actually the most practical option-

Connect the + to + of a low frequency driver and - to the - of the high frequency driver. This will make sure that in case your wire is not secured well enough or if any of the clips is loose, then there won't be any sound from the speaker.

Their explanation was that a lot of people don't even notice when the music plays in the background when one of the drivers stops playing due to loose clips and when the wires are attached only to the other driver's terminals. According to them more commonly people don't notice when in a HT system, one or more of the drivers stop working.

As always suggested -
Don't use the clips. Replace them with good quality speaker wires cut to fit !!!

Last edited:
>Whilst on this subject it is worth mentioning the gold-plated brass links that connect the bass and treble inputs on the back of a bi-wireable speaker. With the odd >exception, these flat, gold-plated links will be found on almost every bi-wireable speaker. Removing these and replacing them with either short runs of the speaker cable >you are using, or better still, fitting a purpose made set of links (Chord Signature Speaker Links) can dramatically improve the performance of the speakers.

here i have a quesiton :

in a biwireable speaker, when connecting with a single wire cable, can we use the same wire to link both the higher and lower frequencies (one for positive and one for negative)?

so have enough bare wire from the cable so that you can run the cable from the top slot to the bottom slot?

will that work?

appreciate any insights.

Yes that can be done but it'll give more chances of a short circuit depending on the position of the binding posts.

Like I said in the other post before it, if you happen to do this, then run one wire from higher driver's binding post to lower binding post and the other wire from lower driver's binding post to up.

Yes that can be done but it'll give more chances of a short circuit depending on the position of the binding posts.

Like I said in the other post before it, if you happen to do this, then run one wire from higher driver's binding post to lower binding post and the other wire from lower driver's binding post to up.

shortcircuit is scary. guess i better get jumpers.

i found the below in some audio forum :

I run the single wire up through the bass terminals to treble. Hate jumpers and extra expense of shotgun.

where is the post with the quote from chord? that's disappeared from this thread!!!

raised the question to chord company, to which i received the following reply :

Hello Nanda,

Thank you for your e-mail, we have always found that fitting the positive to the treble input and the negative to the bass input will produce the most coherent sound.

Best Regards,

David

David May
The Chord Company Ltd
Chord | Homepage
Tel: 01980 625700
Fax: 01980 625070
Registered in England & Wales Company Reg No: 2970612

i hooked up my speakers as above, and when listening to 'a day in the life' by the beatles, in that short interlude prior to 'wake up ...' by paul mccartney, i heard an alarm clock going off - which i never heard before!!!

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back