Can a Horizontal Storage Water Heater solve the problem?

Chulbulee

Am using a Vertical storage water heater for decades, not having any problem. My son says, the hot water coming out is at low pressure/speed and he has to increase the cold water tap flow, to get a good throw from the shower (but that reduces the temperature as ratio of hot : cold water changes). I had a hunch thinking if we changed to horizontal storage heater, the hot water output will flow from increased height (say at least 2 feet above the current level) and increase the pressure quite a bit. What's your take on it?

Am using a Vertical storage water heater for decades, not having any problem. My son says, the hot water coming out is at low pressure/speed and he has to increase the cold water tap flow, to get a good throw from the shower (but that reduces the temperature as ratio of hot : cold water changes). I had a hunch thinking if we changed to horizontal storage heater, the hot water output will flow from increased height (say at least 2 feet above the current level) and increase the pressure quite a bit. What's your take on it?
Your house water pressure is dependant on the height of house tank and not the height of your geyser. What you need to do is service and descale your geyser if you live in a hard water area but more importantly you need to install an automatic booster pump at your bathroom's main water supply inlet to get good pressure everywhere in your bathroom. The pump is sized according to the type and number of shower heads you have installed.

I have faced a similar situation. As you know that the water pressure will increase as per the height of the storage tank from the presumed electric geyser. But this will reduce the temperature if there is more flow of the water. If you have a steady current of 220 volt then you can go for a higher wattage geyser which is 4.5 KV just incase you increase the height of your storage tank or if use a booster pump.
In my case my voltage fluctuates from 160 Volt to 200 volt, and changing to a higher KV geyser did not help. I have enough pressure as the water storage is from a 2 storey construction.
I ended by finally installing a LPG gas water heater, and I am happy to get an increased hot water from the shower, by adjusting the flame knob.

Your house water pressure is dependant on the height of house tank and not the height of your geyser. What you need to do is service and descale your geyser if you live in a hard water area but more importantly you need to install an automatic booster pump at your bathroom's main water supply inlet to get good pressure everywhere in your bathroom. The pump is sized according to the type and number of shower heads you have installed.
If you install a pump at the main outlet from the tank as you suggest, then the hot water will get over super fast because cold water will rush in, push out the hot water and mix with the remaining hot water and make it cold . So your water heater capacity needs to also go up.
In any case, a horizontal or vertical wter heater will make zero difference. Servicing it may help.

If you install a pump at the main outlet from the tank as you suggest, then the hot water will get over super fast because cold water will rush in, push out the hot water and mix with the remaining hot water and make it cold . So your water heater capacity needs to also go up.
In any case, a horizontal or vertical wter heater will make zero difference. Servicing it may help.
You are not going to install a 3 hp 3 phase pump!

Look up hot water circulating pump online

I use the grundfos upa 120, look for Indian brand that look the same and much cheaper. This in using with a 3kw 3 litre geyser in Mumbai

If you are in a cold place then your milage will vary

These pumps do very well if you have one standard shower head

If you have a multi head or a large rainfall head shower then consider buying a tankless geyser and all your problems will be solved

I ended by finally installing a LPG gas water heater, and I am happy to get an increased hot water from the shower, by adjusting the flame knob.

Two decades ago, I had that LPG gas water heater, but then PNG was forced on us, and NO heater available as the inlet nozzle nipple's mouth needs to be widened (done for LPG stove converted to PNG). Also, we had that gas geyser installed in kitchen as putting it in bathroom is VERY RISKY because most don't have enough ventilation and Carbon Monoxide kills fast (just two days ago a 13 yr old girl lost her life, despite having electric geyser).

Yes you are right. I too forgot to mention that the gas geyser needs an open air ventilation for safety purpose. Please be informed that you do get in the market PNG enable gas geysers. To increase the pressure you do need to add a booster pump. You have an advantage here by increasing the flame just incase you are not getting the temperature you need.

Am using a Vertical storage water heater for decades, not having any problem.
Is this problem a recent development? If it is, it could indicate possible blockage, corrosion in the pipe running cold water into the water heater.
You need to disconnect the inlet into the geyser and check pressure. If its low, maybe you need to run a new pipe or replace it. Easier done if this is a independent property versus an apartment.
This can also happen if the distance from the geyser to the shower is far, though I doubt if this is actually the problem for you.
Identify the source of the problem. If pressure was good all this while, then you don't need an external pump. It isn't really going to solve the problem.

No. Not a new development in the hardware. My son complained about it, that to get the rainy effect, he had to increase the cold water, which in turn mellows the hot water down. I thought may be it is related to vertical geyser.

No. Not a new development in the hardware. My son complained about it, that to get the rainy effect, he had to increase the cold water, which in turn mellows the hot water down. I thought may be it is related to vertical geyser.
if your geyser is more than 2 years old, just ask the electrician to remove the filaments and clean the Mineral scum deposited on the heating Filament. Iyt drastically reduces the heating capacity , also the hot water outlet gets clogged, sometimes the outlet pipe too, so hot water isn't as hot as it used to be ; this leads to very bad experience. I get them serviced every 2 -3 years or so. This Scum deposition occurs a lot if your water is hard , but it occurs even when your water is soft.

just sharing from my Experience, hopefully it helps (My apologies if it has already been discussed, couldn't read the whole thread)

The water is not hard nor soft, an admixture as when water is less, our society adds ground water. Moreover, my son had removed the geyser and cleaned it thoroughly, it had very less, negligible scum.

Back