Can high powered power amp damage speakers?

Kumar442244

Hello folks,
I am currently in search of a matching power amp for my totem.
While looking for options, realised the need of power requirements and speakers to amp matching (numbers - wpc, ohms) criteria.
My rainmakers are rated at 4 ohms and 86 db and the recommended power is 20-100 watts.
So here are my questions:-
A) what if I go for crown xli1500 which is rated at 450 wpc at 4 ohms, could it possibly impose any threat to my speakers? Like voice coil heating et al? I listen to moderate volume which is mostly between 9-11 o'clock position.
B) could it also happen by underpowering the speaker?
C) few articles says 2x the recommended power is good to have. Is this an ideal match? At least by the power requirement wise?

And finally, is crown xli series (class ab) any good for relatively critical listening?

Thanks in advance.

Hello folks,
While looking for options, realised the need of power requirements and speakers to amp matching (numbers - wpc, ohms) criteria.
My rainmakers are rated at 4 ohms and 86 db and the recommended power is 20-100 watts.
A) what if I go for crown xli1500 which is rated at 450 wpc at 4 ohms, could it possibly impose any threat to my speakers? Like voice coil heating et al? I listen to moderate volume which is mostly between 9-11 o'clock position.
C) few articles says 2x the recommended power is good to have. Is this an ideal match? At least by the power requirement wise?

And finally, is crown xli series (class ab) any good for relatively critical listening?

Thanks in advance.
Most of the time if speakers are ok with having higher power. You just look at the cone of the speakers . If it looks like it’s gonna fly out of the box then you are feeding it too much power. But playing loud with an underpowered amp can drive the amp easily into clipping and it would send DC to the speaker which can easily melt the tweeter voice coil as they are thin compared woofer coils. It can also deform woofer coils in some cases eventually making it run against some the Magnet gap.

Hello folks,

Thanks in advance.
As an experiment, I had connected two Crown XLS2502 in bridge mode (1500 watts per channel) to my bookshelf speakers. I listened to this for three days. Volume was always under 80-85 db. I think the speakers enjoyed all the power. Never felt like they were being over powered. Of course, one has to be careful and not go overboard with the volume control else the speakers could get damaged.

Hello folks,

Thanks in advance.
We don't have many reviews about XLi series, this is a decent one;

other than being Class AB, without AD - DA conversion as in XLS series, there seems to be no additional benefit. The distortion seems to be higher from AB standards, Class AB would run hotter so, the fan noise may be audible. XLS series has Robust Speaker protection circuit built in, so you can be rest assured on that aspect as well, whereas XLi doesn't offer any speaker protection. In my experience I have driven 8ohm Boston 8" full range drivers with XLS 2502, without any issues for hours together.
I'd avoid XLi series even for HT applications.

Last edited:
It wont damage your speakers. I am driving my 150 watts speakers with Emotiva 300 watts power amp. No issues.
But should be careful with very high volumes , i haven't tried so far.

But if your speakers are less powered it may not justify the full potential of power AMP , speakers will have its own limitations. I have bought high powered amp just for future proof when i get the same high powered speaker down the line.

When you amp says 450W, it is not gonna pump out 450W power.
The wattage will be determined by your desire for decibels and the speaker's sensitivity both combined.
Which means if your speakers remain same, and your desire for decibels (say 90dB pink noise) remains same, then no matter which amp you connect, it will be suppling the same wattage.

Now here comes the difference. Suppose the your setup needs 200W power to produce 90dB then:
a) using 450W amplifier will be safer since the 450W amp is rated to produce extremely low harmonic distortion up till 450W, and you are using only 200W.
b) using 100W amplifier will be unsafe since it is capable of producing low harmonic distortion only till 100W. At 200 W it may be producing 50% THD.

It is this harmonic distortion that has capability of frying your speakers since it introduces a lot of high frequencies (most of which you may not even be able to hear), and the tweeters are typically not designed to take this load.

As an experiment, I had connected two Crown XLS2502 in bridge mode (1500 watts per channel) to my bookshelf speakers. I listened to this for three days. Volume was always under 80-85 db. I think the speakers enjoyed all the power. Never felt like they were being over powered. Of course, one has to be careful and not go overboard with the volume control else the speakers could get damaged.
Even if you have 2000w amp if you are keeping it at sensible loudness level its 100 percent safe. It totally depends on how big of a PITA we are to our neighbours.

It totally depends on how big of a PITA we are to our neighbours.
Even though I have very nice neighbors, our Apartment construction is like a echo chamber. Even the slightest of sound is heard and echoed !!! Not to worry though. Before the neighbors complain, my wife will throw me out if I use the crowns to its potential.

Last edited:
Hello folks,

Thanks in advance.

When i first got the power amplifier I too was scared that this might happen, after speaking with few members got to know that to damage by providing higher amount of power , it needs continuous feed of extra power beyond what the speaker is capable. So in a small-medium sized room more chances of you going deaf before that happens.

Between the Marantz PM8006 are rated at about 100 watts at 4 ohms, what did you find lacking in the same ?

We don't have many reviews about XLi series, this is a decent one;

other than being Class AB, without AD - DA conversion as in XLS series, there seems to be no additional benefit. The distortion seems to be higher from AB standards, Class AB would run hotter so, the fan noise may be audible. XLS series has Robust Speaker protection circuit built in, so you can be rest assured on that aspect as well, whereas XLi doesn't offer any speaker protection. In my experience I have driven 8ohm Boston 8" full range drivers with XLS 2502, without any issues for hours together.
I'd avoid XLi series even for HT applications.
Thanks A ton DeKrack for this valuable suggestions. I somehow managed to avoid the purchase, specially when it was on a great offer on amazon. No speaker protection is a big let down.
So the hunt continues :)

When you amp says 450W, it is not gonna pump out 450W power.
The wattage will be determined by your desire for decibels and the speaker's sensitivity both combined.
Which means if your speakers remain same, and your desire for decibels (say 90dB pink noise) remains same, then no matter which amp you connect, it will be suppling the same wattage.

Now here comes the difference. Suppose the your setup needs 200W power to produce 90dB then:
a) using 450W amplifier will be safer since the 450W amp is rated to produce extremely low harmonic distortion up till 450W, and you are using only 200W.
b) using 100W amplifier will be unsafe since it is capable of producing low harmonic distortion only till 100W. At 200 W it may be producing 50% THD.

It is this harmonic distortion that has capability of frying your speakers since it introduces a lot of high frequencies (most of which you may not even be able to hear), and the tweeters are typically not designed to take this load.
Thanks @alpha1, very well explained.

When i first got the power amplifier I too was scared that this might happen, after speaking with few members got to know that to damage by providing higher amount of power , it needs continuous feed of extra power beyond what the speaker is capable. So in a small-medium sized room more chances of you going deaf before that happens.

Between the Marantz PM8006 are rated at about 100 watts at 4 ohms, what did you find lacking in the same ?
I have heard Totems with PT which is 230 WPC at 4 Ohms and I somehow miss the dynamics with marantz. No questions on Marantz though, absolutely happy with it, but guess tad bit of power could have made some difference for sure.
Amp is not at fault here, its just that my speaker are a little too demanding :)

Yup , was curious to know if you did spot that difference :)
I had a similar observation with PA giving more dynamics and a wider soundstage using the Marantz and the Saptak/Crown XLS2502 for the Focals/M20 though Focal have a much higher power requirement rating upto 300 watts ,

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back