Can you share Bappi Lahiri's non-Bollywood originals?

k-pad

tl;dr: Please give me original good quality source of the Bappi;s Habiba album :D

I have always listened to his disco/funk/electro and have always thought - blasphemy - one other person did it better. But that is for another day. *

Today and for some days to come, I really want to listen to all of Bappi-da's non-Bombay film industry works - his other albums. But I hardly find any reference to those in the mainstream obits.

One thing I found was an album he did with his daughter, called Habiba. There is only one song of the entire album available on Youtube. And there is hardly any other mention of this album anywhere else.

But on trawling youtube more, many people between 40 and 50 have happily posted *their own* videos of dancing to this song!

Then I went looking for this song specifically and found that Javed Jaffrey's done a number to this tune!

It's all very stunning.

I am already seeking out Bappi-da's non-Bollywood work in various search engines, but I am so far drawing a blank.

I am sure, you all enlightened people can help - Greatest hits CDs, unknown hits links, etc.

But most of all, Habiba in a pure source (at least better than Youtube) and if possible, even one of your video-cassette recording of JJ

* You know who, of course!

Actually , Bappi Lahiry’s best works remains outside of disco pop. Prior to 1980s he composed quite a number of soft , very melodic scores . Aur Kaun comes to mind with that evergreen Kishore classic - Haan Pehli Baar and the haunting title track by Lata. Likewise soundtrack for College Girl and so forth , in the vein of Pancham.
The best sources are LPs by a mile. See if you can get vinyl rips from you know where.
PS: I have no clue about his non Bollywood work. Perhaps @Black_Hawk can pitch in.

This lovely song is also by Bappi Lahiri
Movie: Chalte Chalte (1976)
Starcast: Vishal Anand, Simi Garewal, Nazneen, Shreeram Lagu
Directed by: Sunder Dar
Music Director: Bappi Lahiri
Lyricist: Amit Khanna

I am already seeking out Bappi-da's non-Bollywood work in various search engines, but I am so far drawing a blank.

I am sure, you all enlightened people can help - Greatest hits CDs, unknown hits links, etc.

* You know who, of course!

This LP is a master piece in non film category by Bappi Lahiri. Recorded in London. Please share your email ID over DM

R-3286243-1572551749-6979.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you refer to 1970 to 1980 Bappi Lahiri,

There are master blaster OSTs like Lahu Ke Do Rang, Lalach, Phir Janam Lenge Hum, Suraag, Suraksha, Toote Khilone, Zakhmee, Agreement, Ek Ladki Badnaam Si, Ahsaas, Patiita , Aap Ki Khatir, Chalte Chalte, College Girl, Dil Se Miley Dil, Ek Baar Kaho, Film Hi Film, Jyoti,

If you are onto analogue. please procure these LPs for melody and superb sound quality. If want vinyl rips, please share your email ID. @k-pad

If you refer to 1970 to 1980 Bappi Lahiri,

There are master blaster OSTs like Lahu Ke Do Rang, Lalach, Phir Janam Lenge Hum, Suraag, Suraksha, Toote Khilone, Zakhmee, Agreement, Ek Ladki Badnaam Si, Ahsaas, Patiita , Aap Ki Khatir, Chalte Chalte, College Girl, Dil Se Miley Dil, Ek Baar Kaho, Film Hi Film, Jyoti,

If you are onto analogue. please procure these LPs for melody and superb sound quality. If want vinyl rips, please share your email ID. @k-pad
And Waardat

The OP clearly mentioned in the thread title he was looking for non Bollywood Bappi Lahiry originals. Everybody knows what are his hit Bollywood albums from the eighties.

Then I went looking for this song specifically and found that Javed Jaffrey's done a number to this tune!
I specifically remember , recording the TV broadcast on Doordarshan. it was on some new year celebration. J Jaffrey's BreakDance
- those time anything to watch later or repeat was on VCR ( with date/time timer set! )
Those cassette(TDK) goon too soon after a year of re-runs!.

I used to underrate Bappi a lot because of his affection for disco type of music. But when I came to know that the gem of a song "Chalte Chalte" was from him, I totally changed my opinion. I guess he changed to disco because that's where the moolah was.

Bappi lahiri's non bollywood album includes Habiba, Super runa and jawani jawani. By the term non bollywood the op must have meant non film or basic songs. If that is the case then he had these albums. From this apart he also sang bengali songs including Tagore songs. However jawani jawani may not be available on any physical media other than cassette tape while Habiba and super runa are available on vinyl.
Regards

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back