Cartridge for Project Debut III

The Wall

Hi All,

Have been running the Ortofon OM 5e for my Project Debut III , which came factory fitted. It has been around 6 months and am looking for a cartridge upgrade.
Would need suggestions from fellow members as to what can be an adequate upgrade.

Thanks.

OM10, OM20 are considered reasonable upgrades. 2M Red is supposed to be the popular upgrade but it is a heavier cartridge and needs a heavier counterweight.

Changing the cartridge in Debut III is a tricky business and many have damaged the wires/leads in the process.

Another thing that you can do is to replace the stylus. I have bought the OM10 stylus which I plan to put in my Debut III

I did an overkill and upgraded to OM30 stylus. Even I didn't want to fiddle around with replacing the cart on my Debut III.

OM30 stylus did give a lots of improvements. The track-ability improved a lot. However, the stylus is not running at its full potential as the cart body is not super OM.

I think OM10 stylus upgrade is a good start for Debut III.

I also upgraded the platter to Acryl-It and added a speed box. However, I would have rather saved all that money and invested on a better TT!.

-John.

what are the other components in the chain? preamp,amp,speaker,SUB?
I have been using the same TT and cartridge with CA 540P for LP recording and with Norge 1000+WHF 10.2 for playback. I never felt of changing it as I have a costlier set up of Technics 1210...... I have compared their sound and I must say if you are determined to bring out improvements in Sq then only you will come out with minor difference, otherwise won't feel any difference. The combo that you are using is no doubt entry level audiophile, but it is almost same as more costlier set up

The final SQ also depends upon other thing
the source: all LPs don't sound the same, some with more surface noise some with moderate some dead silent, also how clean your record is that also matters

type: what genre you listen to? its not same for classical,jazz,pop, newer recordings or older or remastered LPs

So spare a few moments and ascertain why you want to spent money on cartridge, if its worn out or more than 1000 hrs old go for it, otherwise invest in other modes, for instance instead of a $400 cartridge of you add a 10" SUB of comparable price your listening experience will change completely. Nevertheless take a call accordingly. About VFM cart already a few Ortofon carts are mentioned, you can think of Denon DL 110, Ortofon 2M red, be careful and read about clearance issue with Pro-ject arm, remember this TT doesn't provide you the flexibility of adjusting the arm height so cartridge height is an issue

Hi All,

Thanks indeed for the update, from the advise OM 10 stylus seems to be a good upgrade , but can anybody confirm of i could get it fron India or need to buy from needle doctor or similar sites.

Thanks.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back