Cartridge upgrade advice

tek

Hi All!

I was thinking of upgrading my current cart, which is an Ortofon 2M red. I was wondering what you guys thought about the options I was considering, and whether it would be worth it to replace or just stick with what I've got.

My first choice was a Shure V-15. After a few unsuccessful (and frustrating!!) attempts to procure one on ebay, I have given up on this for the time being.

How is the M97xe? How does it compare to the 2M red?
What about the Denon 110? It's a high output MC cart that I've heard good things about.
And lastly, how is the 2M blue?

Out of these carts, i am leaning towards the M97xe coz it's quite affordable for me, and people are saying it is only just slightly below a V-15V which is what I was aiming for in the first place.

Any thoughts suggestions? Do anyone own any of these carts and have feedback?

Thanks in advance, guys!

- Tek

From a 2M red to a M97xE is a side step not upgrade. I have an M97 on a technics and it doesn't sound bad at all but from a 2M to this I'm not so sure. You may try a Denon DL103. That would probably be an upgrade. Also please check for arm and cartridge compliance before you step forward.

would his Phono stage be able to handle an MC ? or is the output of the 103 enough for an MM phono stage also ?

I agree with RoC that 2m Red to M97xE may not be a real upgrade, although the M97xE is a very good MM cartridge for the money under (USD 100) you pay.

2M Blue is a sweet spot for the Ortofon MM cartridges if you do not want to spend more than USD 200. It is a really good cart. Compared with the 2M Red you get a nude elliptical needle instead of just elliptical. Otherwise the cartridges are the same. The next in the line-up are the 2M Bronze and 2M Black. For those, the needles have a better cut, but the cartridge body is also upgraded from 2M Red and Blue. Reportedly, 2M Black is the best MM cart out there, beats or is comparable with a a few very well-known MCs. But it costs USD 800 or around there (can't exactly remember).

The Denon DL 103 for the money (priced lower than many MM) is a phenomenal low output MC cart but one has to see, if your phono stage can take that (as arj already pointed out).

Regards.

I am currently using a JVC QL-7 TT with a Pro-Ject USB Record Box phono pre-amp, and a Sansui 3900Z stereo amp, if that helps.

I was considering the 2M blue, but $200 is a bit more than I can spend at the moment.. maybe I can wait for this. I was very keen on the V-15's since i've only heard great things, and since I couldn't get one I figured the M97 may be a good choice, but it seems from what I'm reading that it's not really an improvement over the sound of the 2M red...
I'm not sure if the Denon 103 will work in my phono stage, but I think the DL 110 might..

Hi Tek,

What's your budget?

Your tonearm seems to be a high mass one, 14-23 gm as per vinyl engine so you have a good choice of carts instead of moving sideways like so many have already pointed out.

The Denon 110 is good, not too sure how good a step up it would be over what you've got, it would be more 'different', a move to the Denon sound than a major step up I think. Of course if you end up liking the Denon sound it would qualify as a step up :) The DL 103 would require you to get a step up transformer. Even the Denon 110 has an output of 1.6 which is still too low for your MM phonostage, unless it has a MC section?

I'd suggest sticking with what you have.

If I may suggest a different line of thought, you've got a good TT, a good cart, save up and when you have money, upgrade your phonostage and that would take playback to a higher level.

regards

@tek
if your tonearm is on the heavier side, and your 3900Z supports MC, the Denon DL 103 is the way to go. But in case no MC is supported, then V15 Type III or IV may still be a very good option provided you can get one in good condition. Another option in MM is Ortofon OM Super 20, or 30 or 40 (starting 150$, I think for the 20).
Joshua

@jls001 - unfortunately, the phono input does not work in the amp, hence i am using the phono stage and connecting it to the amp's aux input.

@ stevieboy - thanks for your feedback. I've been having some issues with the current set up.. sometimes i wont get sound in the right channel, but if i unscrew the headshell and check the wires and put it back in the tonearm, it works, albeit the levels in both channels aren't equal. I am guessing this could be a problem with the headshell. I have anyways ordered a new one online and once it comes I will try switching the cart to that to see if it helps.

IMO, the 2M red is a good cart.. i've not had issues with it, but I just feel like it could be a little better.. got a bad case of upgrade-itis!!

Any suggestions for a good upgrade to the phono stage? Something not super expensive :)

Thanks again for all the help guys!

@jls001 - unfortunately, the phono input does not work in the amp, hence i am using the phono stage and connecting it to the amp's aux input.

@ stevieboy - thanks for your feedback. I've been having some issues with the current set up.. sometimes i wont get sound in the right channel, but if i unscrew the headshell and check the wires and put it back in the tonearm, it works, albeit the levels in both channels aren't equal. I am guessing this could be a problem with the headshell. I have anyways ordered a new one online and once it comes I will try switching the cart to that to see if it helps.

IMO, the 2M red is a good cart.. i've not had issues with it, but I just feel like it could be a little better.. got a bad case of upgrade-itis!!

Any suggestions for a good upgrade to the phono stage? Something not super expensive :)

Thanks again for all the help guys!

This is a good cheap option if you can build.
DIY MM Phono Preamplifier Kit (Moving Magnet)

Regards,
Sachin

Woah, that's pretty awesome! Too bad I can't make head nor tails of the schematics :p

If DIY is indeed an option, my vote would be for the following:

Phonoclone 3, if you want an MC phono stage or the VSPS if you want an MM phono stage. You can read about them in the following (huge) thread:

The Phonoclone and VSPS PCB Help Desk - diyAudio

The construction guide, which is common for both, should give you a fair idea about the simplicity of the builds:

RJM Audio - Construction Guide

HI,
This is supposed to be a better budget DIY
Another Super High End Phono Stage! No expense spared... - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Regards,
Sachin

Interesting link, thanks for this. However I'm not sure if this one would be better than the latest versions of the VSPS and the Phonoclone 3. But, for their cost, it shouldn't be too hard to build them both and keep the one you like... :D

Interesting link, thanks for this. However I'm not sure if this one would be better than the latest versions of the VSPS and the Phonoclone 3. But, for their cost, it shouldn't be too hard to build them both and keep the one you like... :D

Hi,

AK members have confirmed that this is better than Phonoclone and VSPS.I am in touch with 2-3 AK members for this kit.

Regards,
Sachin

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back