CDP or not?

Vandal

I use my computer for music ATM. Am considering building a speaker + amp rig for music in the near future. Currently my PC has is on an integrated sound solution (ASUS P5K Deluxe mobo), but I could upgrade to an ASUS Essence ST soundcard.

My query is: If I use my PC as a source, and I use ISO's made from original CDs for music, will there be a noticeable difference in quality compared to, say, a Denon DCD-710AE CDP being used as source?

Most of my music is MP3 320 CBR, though, and I know this CDP has a USB port - this is making the decision tougher - to buy or not to buy.

Assuming my speaker + amp combo will probably be a KEF iQ30 + Denon PMA-710AE, will I notice a difference if I go with the CDP or stick with my PC for 1) CD music 2) MP3's?

Please advise...

I use my computer for music ATM. Am considering building a speaker + amp rig for music in the near future. Currently my PC has is on an integrated sound solution (ASUS P5K Deluxe mobo), but I could upgrade to an ASUS Essence ST soundcard.

My query is: If I use my PC as a source, and I use ISO's made from original CDs for music, will there be a noticeable difference in quality compared to, say, a Denon DCD-710AE CDP being used as source?

Most of my music is MP3 320 CBR, though, and I know this CDP has a USB port - this is making the decision tougher - to buy or not to buy.

Assuming my speaker + amp combo will probably be a KEF iQ30 + Denon PMA-710AE, will I notice a difference if I go with the CDP or stick with my PC for 1) CD music 2) MP3's?

Please advise...

you get better depth - and a sense of realism with CDP - with good equipment, though -

if you listen to music critically - then CDP is a better choice-

but -

if you are looking for convenience - stick with the PC

with your setup - you will not notice much of a difference with CDP and PC source

SO - stick with the PC source.

OK, what if I plan to stick install my speaker set up in my bedroom, away from my PC. Hypothetically, would a drive-based player make sense over a CDP?

Curious, when you say I'll notice much of a difference, is it because of the mid-range/entry-level speaker/amp set up?

Please advise...

It depends on the room acoustis as much as your setup. For not very hard rooms (not too much furniture or hard flooring), with your setup and an upgrade to an Essence, you will not notice much difference when listening to mp3 between your PC and a CDP. Pick one that is convenient to work with.

Thanks. One last query - would a quality DAC make a noticeable difference? Say something in the range of 1000$~1200$ or so.

Thanks. One last query - would a quality DAC make a noticeable difference? Say something in the range of 1000$~1200$ or so.

Depends on what you mean by difference though. A DAC at such a price point would make it sound different but it all depends if you like the sound or not. Audition if you get a chance.

for the set up you plan, it wont make that much of a difference. if you want to spend another 1200$ then spend it on the amp and speakers

Spirovious, you mean using the digital out of the Essence ST and feeding it to a quality DAC? It'll be nearly as good as a CDP? Because I extract all my orig CD ISO's and keep them on my HDDs - since I have a lot of space (4 TB) on my main PC.

Vandal, I think Spiro means the analog outs of Essence ST is comparable to that of entry level cdps. If its only to take digital out, why go for a card which is expensive, with the USP of good analog outs? You can buy a cheaper card with digital out and use an external DAC.
If you are willing to spend around 1000$ for a DAC, I am sure you will get many satisfactory options in that range. The tricky part is auditioning them to see if they are to your taste!

Thanks for clearing that up. That's even better. So maybe an Essence ST now, and later, I can integrate a good DAC. Cool, and thanks.

Sure boss, anytime.
Have you checked out the usual suspects/popular dacs like Dacmagic, Beresford series, V dac etc?

Vandal, I think Spiro means the analog outs of Essence ST is comparable to that of entry level cdps. If its only to take digital out, why go for a card which is expensive, with the USP of good analog outs? You can buy a cheaper card with digital out and use an external DAC.
If you are willing to spend around 1000$ for a DAC, I am sure you will get many satisfactory options in that range. The tricky part is auditioning them to see if they are to your taste!

Thanks iaudio for answer & is exactly what I want to say.
I m doing same using D2X.

@iaudio - not yet, I had a listen with the DACmagic though. The tough thing is I am trying to balance things out by buying a DAC that I can use with my speaker setup and headphones, which is why I want to assemble the entire speaker rig first, minus DAC of course, then I'll start auditioning for DACs.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back