Celestion SL600

raj

Recently I got a chance to listen to Celestion SL600 bookshelf speakers. These were made in the mid-80's. Not sure when Celestion stopped the sales, probably early 90's. I have a heard a lot about them and this was my first time to listened to these speakers.
It is supposed to be a difficult speaker to drive and also is placement sensitive. The first time I listened to it, it sounded good but a little boomy.
Then the speaker position was changed and I listened to a couple of CDs before we switched to Jazz at the pawnshop. The imaging really came alive. I could hear the depth of different instruments from where I was sitting. There is one song where you hear the drinking glasses clanging (as the music seem to be recorded in a bar). I could hear them coming from different place than the music. The sound was excellent. The bass was more than what you would expect from a bookshelf. It was driven by Nak Ta-2A Receiver. Source was a Denon 3930ci DVD player.

This speaker also is known for smooth vocals. Unfortunately could not try out one of the vocal CD. They go for anywhere between 600-900 USD in audiogon. I think that this is probably one of the best value for the money speaker though it is 20-25 years old.

Wonder why celestion stopped developing this series further.
Anyway, if you get a chance to listen to this speaker, don't miss it.

There is one song where you hear the drinking glasses clanging (as the music seem to be recorded in a bar). I could hear them coming from different place than the music.

where could that be from??

regards

moktan

Gobble, Suri, Santhol, Moktan & the others, care to take it from here :rolleyes:

Don't you guys dare to tough every thread with your raucous humour. Go to sleep early todays guys. :)

Cheers

Back