Cheaper alternatives to Sonos CONNECT

kratu

What I like about Sonos CONNECT is that it has an coaxial output and can be directly connected to my DAC without any intermediaries. It can also stream Apple music among others. And can be remotely operated with an iPad.

The catch is that the price is close to 40K. Probably the best I can go is 20k. Are there any alternatives that I can explore in that budget range?

If you are ok with Toslink then Chromecast Audio is an excellent option.

The latest Raspberry Pi 3 can also be an option but it will take some setting up. Good thing is it can be directly connected to a USB DAC, and with onboard wifi its both wireless and portable. The kicker though is what is your source? NAS, external HDD, etc. will play nice with the Pi.

Bluesound Node is another option, but its not cheap.

At $300 the Sonore Sonicorbiter can be an option, but it will end up costing more locally. I'm also not a fan of the h/w.

Guess I've really not answered your question... I'm not aware of any device that does it all in the 20K range.

Chromecast Audio is what I'm using and I'm extremely happy with it.

Thanks. I think Chromecast Audio is a decent solution. Toslink will do for now. Since I just intend to stream Apple music, this might work out fine.

Chromecast Audio seems to be hard to get in India compared to Chromecast TV. I need to figure this out. I wonder how it plays with Apple services.

I'll keep an eye on other options too.

Last edited:
I am and was all sold with Rpi solution. Rpi with USB DAC or HiFi Berry DAC, with Moode running is the cheapest close to audiophile solution we can have. It will stream apple music from iPad since it supports Airplay.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back