Clearing out the attic

benr

Hi,
I am entirely new to the forum but have just come across some very interesting equipment when clearing out the attic and was looking for some advice.

Firstly..the list:
Garrard 301
SME 3012 (series II i think)

Garrard 401 (no idea what the tonearm and cart/stylus are but given the 301 has an SME3012 with it I should think it might be of a similar quality)

LOADS of Shure styli (I think they are fairly old as they have a receipt from 1987 with them)

I am told that they are all worth a fair bit of money. However, I really want to get them working and start listening to some come the records I found with them.

My main question is, what cartridge should I get to go with the 301?

I should add that the 301 is not mounted at the moment, but I intend to put it in a large block of wood.

Please bear in mind that I do not want to spend a huge amount of money on getting this working but would obviously like to upgrade in the future if I get a taste for it.

Thanks
Ben

Dear Ben,

I have a Garrard 301 with SME 3012 tonearm. Denon DL-103 is the most suitable cartridge for it. There are several plinth modification choices to make it sound world class

regards
kuruvilaacob

i'd go with a 103 pro or a Shure V15 mk III or Or Mk IV or Mk V... check your stash for 'em... or any ortofon...

Thanks guys,
I have only spare styli not a cartridge. I need to recheck the box the 401 is currently mounted in as it may have one lurking there that I haven't found yet. I would like to go with a V15 mk 3 like you say but they are hard to come by and I am just trying to get it working for the time being so the extra expense is probably not worth it.
Has anyone used a Shure m97xe?

Thanks

The cartridge you choose will (partially) depend on what phono stage you already have, or plan to buy in case you don't have it already. In case you have MM only phono preamplifier then a Shure Mx97E would be a good starting point. In case you have phono preamplifier that supports MC cartridge, you can't go wrong with a Denon DL103.

By the way, that's a lot of really nice toys in the attic.

A heavy plinth is the way to go for both the 301 and 401.

Last edited:
the 301 and and 401 are absolute gems. the sme 3012 is great (said with a pinch of salt as i much prefer the vintage denon transcription tonearms...)

just give your gear a bit if oiling... greasing... a lil love a load of heavy plinth and you're competing with TTs above the $10k mark...

really...

AND

you're gonna beat any digital iterface twice the $10k mark... just invest in a good cart and a great phono stage...

Thanks for the replies,
I am going to check to see if there is a spare cart in the 401 box before I invest in a new one for the 301. (Thanks for the offer Gerry_the_Merry I don't seem to be able to pm yet as there is probably a restriction on new members)

I am slightly concerned about the platter on the 301. Is there supposed to be a speed calibration pattern around the edge? currently it is just a slightly flaked painted aluminium? disk. Any tips on what matt to use?

As i have previously said, I am pretty new to this so what should I be looking for in a phono stage? I am again looking for a budget(ish) option that will tide me through until I can get a better option.

Thanks
Ben

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back