CM6631 chip based USB to S/PDIF converter

koushik

I was recently searching for some cheap yet decent solution for the USB to SPDIF (Coax) converter. I came to know about this chip (C-Media 3361) that is being used in some expensive converter as well. Schiit Bifrost USB unit is using this chip, for example.

I know that chip is not everything but the implementation matters but still if any FM have any experience with this type of converter below:

32bit 192kHz CM6631 USB to SPDIF Convertor Coax Opt for DAC | eBay

I am not looking to spend much now, as I am planning to buy something much better later, like the Audiophilleo or Stello U3 etc.

Thank reignofchaos and Ravi. Yes the total package is cheaper in this deal. There is a $46 also but the seller is away and won't be able to ship before 5th.

But anyone has any idea as how these perform? Some famous diy forums are discussing on these and average response is quite positive. One member went ahead saying it performed better than hiface evo.

According to this link only the later "A" version of the chip supports all sample rates till 192kHz. The non "A" version doesn't support 176.4kHz.
Make sure you're getting what you require.

Ravi, yes I came to know about that as well recently. But I read somewhere that "A" version is yet to get implemented in any commercial design.

"A" version supports 88.2 and 176.4 natively. That is a real advantage.

The later design is looking really good and the parts are genuine as the seller claimed those are procured from digikey. But it seems there is no coax rca terminal instead only headers. I2S and spdif header pins.

After reading lot of online reviews/discussions finally decided on XMOS chip. Just received my latest USB-to-SPDIF converter in weekend. It can do 24/192 but I only need redbook standard for the time being.
It is working out of box with my Debian Linux on Beaglebone Black.

Good choice! Xmos is the best available for usb audio and most mid to high end DACs are based on the same chip for USB.

Good choice! Xmos is the best available for usb audio and most mid to high end DACs are based on the same chip for USB.

Thanks! Yes, I found that too.

I will leave the piece to do its job for now but sometime down the line I will sit and mod the converter with better components from genuine stores like digikey/element 14 etc.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back