Comparison of Cambridge Audio Azur 840a V2 vs Marantz PM8003

corElement

2zW7J.jpg

Comparison of Cambridge Audio Azur 840a V2 vs Marantz PM8003 An objective review

I had the unique opportunity to listen to the Cambridge Audio Azur 840a and Marantz PM8003 integrated amplifiers side by side today.
Both amplifiers are from a INR 75,000 price point and are competing models from two very large brands.

The test was conducted on the following:

Source: Asus Xonar STX with default OPAMPS
Interconnect: Bogdan Audio Goldy Litz with RCA ETI bullets
Amplifiers: Cambridge Audio Azur 840a V2, Marantz PM8003
Speaker Cable: Monster Cable & THX collaborated 16 AWG OFC Speaker Cable
Speaker: Jamo Concert 8 / D830 AND Quad 11L2
Tracks used: Thriller by MJ SACD FLAC RIP, Delhi 6 by AR Rahman, Monster By Lady Gaga, Close to you by Carpenters, Travelin Prayer by Billy Joel

lwXgm.jpg

Observations of comparison:

PM8003: Class A/B

- Fast sonic presentation
- More dynamic at higher volumes
- Smooth sound
- Fast transition between harmonics
- Sound is a bit lean
- Has tons of headroom
- Does not need to be warmed up
- Stays cool

Cambridge Audio Azur 840a V2:Class XD (Pure class A at low & med volume, class B at high volume)

- Slower but well bodied bass, not lean like the pm8003
- Vocal handling & transparency is VASTLY superior
- Sound emerges from a darker background
- The sound has considerable more body to it
- Bass digs deeper & presentation is more dynamic
- Better sonic quality at medium and low volumes than the PM8003 at high volumes
- Sound is a bit hard unless warmed up for at least an hour
- Built like a tank
- Gets hot

Verdict:
The 840as ability to reveal vocals and actually hear the words, UNDERSTAND the sentences without having to pay attention.leaves something to be desired of the PM8003. That being said, everything else of the Marantz is quite perfect for speakers from a warmer sound signature and high power demand. The Marantz will be able to handle speakers like the Kevlar B&Ws far better than the 840a. The 840a has its strengths, but to take advantage of it you should have a speaker thats transparent, neutral and has decent sensitivity of 90db. It can easily drive lower sensitivity and power hungry speakers, but it wont be able to handle high volumes as stable as the PM8003, its true strength lies at volumes between 50-75% and is sonically superior to the 8003 within that bracket. Ive heard the 840a against a krell 400xi and Lyrita 2a3 and GM70 integrated amplifiers and though each of those had its strengths, the 840as ability to resolve veiled vocals is something to take note of (within medium to low volumes) not everyone listens at loud volumes. Sure the vocal QUALITY may be much better in other amps, but with the 840a, you don't have to constantly pay a lot of attention trying to make out the lyrics, rather it is handed to you on a platter.

Apart from vocal advantage on the 840a, the pm8003 and ca840a v2 when paired to suitable speakers are strong competitors against each other and give no quarter.

Thanks
Corelement

Last edited:
A good review. Marantz amps are more airy in comparison to many other brands. A keen listening will reveal that marantz amps are a bit musical than others.

A good review. Marantz amps are more airy in comparison to many other brands. A keen listening will reveal that marantz amps are a bit musical than others.

Not sure what you mean by airy but the 840a was more dynamic in it's presentation than the 8003. I would call the dynamism as musical where as the marantz was smoother, perhaps you're referring to the smoothness as airy?

Cambridge Audio Azur 840a V2: Pure class A at low & med volume, class AB at high volume

Nice review there.
BTW there is no class AB at higher volumes its class B. Class AB is not a class on its own. Working in Class A up to some level and Class B there after is called Class AB which is what you mentioned for Marantz.
The CA amp works on something called class XD (crossover displacement) topology which is similar to class AB but the crossover point is displaced to a point where the transfer functions of the transistors are better matched as per the link.

Not sure what you mean by airy but the 840a was more dynamic in it's presentation than the 8003. I would call the dynamism as musical where as the marantz was smoother, perhaps you're referring to the smoothness as airy?

'Airy' definition from two different places

1. Airy :pertaining to treble which sounds light, delicate, open, and seemingly unrestricted in upper extension. A quality of reproducing systems having very smooth and very extended HF response

2. Airy: Also see Spacious. Music sounds like it is surrounded by a large space full of air. Good reproduction of high-frequencies.

Nice review there.
BTW there is no class AB at higher volumes its class B. Class AB is not a class on its own. Working in Class A up to some level and Class B there after is called Class AB which is what you mentioned for Marantz.
The CA amp works on something called class XD (crossover displacement) topology which is similar to class AB but the crossover point is displaced to a point where the transfer functions of the transistors are better matched as per the link.

Yep I know. I didn't write class XD as most people will find it harder to understand.

'Airy' definition from two different places

1. Airy :pertaining to treble which sounds light, delicate, open, and seemingly unrestricted in upper extension. A quality of reproducing systems having very smooth and very extended HF response

2. Airy: Also see Spacious. Music sounds like it is surrounded by a large space full of air. Good reproduction of high-frequencies.

Hmm, I'm afraid I cannot relate in context of this review.

Last edited:
supposed to be a good amp the exposure 2012s2 with better strengths than the 3010

( if stereophile is anything to go by )

mpw

I'd have to hear the exposure with the jamos which I couldn't. But having heard it on Harbeth's, I felt it's quite capable to drive heavy loads

The sound has was not as dynamic as a lower wattage naim nait 5i. The naim nait 5i was more dynamic but brighter. But yes i heard th enaim on a different speaker again, so hard to say really.

Last edited:
Exposure & Naim were not compared like to like. Naim was not played with Harbeth, so it is not clear which is more dynamic yet.

Cor, now I know where you live! let's plan a exposure with jamo audition... you might have a change of religion. The exposure and harbeth were played for all of 15 minutes in breaks.

Naim was only played with Pranav's DIY TL speakers, the sound of which nobody was familiar with before hand. I was also very interested in listening more to Naim with something like Harbeth or Jamo for a substantial duration.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back