Confused on what speakers to get for my setup.

RuwinX

Hey

Long time lurker here. Decided to make an account and ask for some advice.

I have a media room. Wanted to upgrade the audio in it and was thinking of getting a pair of active bookshelf speakers that could be hooked up to both my desktop and the TV in it. Was eyeing the Edifier S3000 Pro at around 50k. Not sure if that is overkill or not for my requirements. Currently using the TV as is without anything and Audeze iems for my desktop.

Some additional info:

- Budget ~55k
- Room Size is about 11 x 11 feet.
- Room has no open area leading into a hall or kitchen. It's a repurposed bedroom.
- Room has a tiny itx pc hooked up to a monitor + a 55" tv with a firestick 4k. Use the desktop for gaming and to listen to spotify/youtube/podcasts. Sit on the couch and use the TV when watching something on netflix etc.
- Distance between the couch and the TV is around 8 feet.
- Most of my content consumed is via Netflix 4k / Amazon Prime / Twitch and the occasional Kodi.
- Desktop is also connected via HDMI to the TV for playing some games on the bigger screen
- Type of media consumed: On the desktop during workhours it's mostly music/podcasts. On the TV during leisure time it's a 60/40 split between tv Shows and movies. So I guess I'd want something that is overall good but if I had to choose then something that sounds great for video content would be great.
- Type of music genres heard: EDM/Rock/Country/Hip hop and Pop

So given my requirements. Is the Edifier S3000 Pro a good overall choice? Or is it overkill?

I've tried to google and there's a lot of conflicting info:

- People suggest getting a used AVR + passive bookshelf speakers instead which can be upgraded later down the line [Which I know nothing about]
- Active speakers like the one I was looking at [S3000] are apparently only good for around ~ 4ft/5ft of distance. Any further and the sound quality is lackluster? Is this true?
- Will not having a sub by going for a bookshelf speaker ruin immersion in movies? Especially given the distance from the TV/speakers when on the couch
- Am I better off just getting a soundbar with a subwoofer for the tv + a cheaper nearfield bookshelf for the desktop use?

I've also added a rough layout of my room in case that makes a difference.

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions on what I should get.

Thanks!

Attachments

• layout.png
    layout.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 25
Hi,
if you are ok with used equipment there is a PS audio sprout 100 and a pair of Elac bookshelves in the sale section.
They are very good value for the quality of sound and for your room size these would be more than enough I think

Your listening preference indicates that you'd need good bass in your system... Try to get an entry level Marantz integrated amp and QAcoustics 3030i

If you want convenience with some compramise over sound quality, go with the best soundbar you can buy for 50k and call it a day. Try Sonos, Polk or Yamaha ones for soundbar

Hi,
if you are ok with used equipment there is a PS audio sprout 100 and a pair of Elac bookshelves in the sale section.
They are very good value for the quality of sound and for your room size these would be more than enough I think
I have no qualms in buying used products provide they are working and in decent condition.
Your listening preference indicates that you'd need good bass in your system... Try to get an entry level Marantz integrated amp and QAcoustics 3030i

If you want convenience with some compramise over sound quality, go with the best soundbar you can buy for 50k and call it a day. Try Sonos, Polk or Yamaha ones for soundbar
I thought the general consensus was soundbars are not good and you can get better audio for the same price. You're trading convenience and size for sound quality.

I forgot to mention, I have a sony RT - HTR40 in another room and have mixed feelings about it. I feel the subwoofer works really weird on that. You can't really hear the bass unless the volume is above 60/70 percent which is far too loud. At lower volumes you can barely hear it. But at the higher volumes it really is pretty decent. Is that going to be the case for all of these soundbar setups? The bass is just not present at lower volumes? I generally like to listen at lower volumes.

Also, both of you would not recommend those edifiers then, right?

Agree with this suggestion.

Buy an entry level stereo am (which has optical input), and a pair of good bookshelf speakers.
You will be happy with the sound.

The QAcoustics 3030i is a good recco.

1- Do you want to upgrade in the future to a surround setup?
- IF YES - Get an AVR, get passive speakers, floorstanders preferably - BS should be good otherwise and may or may not require a sub - depends on your room and your preferences.
- IF NO - then get a stereo receiver - like the Denon DRA800H types or a cheaper model - there are a few in sub 30K range if I am not wrong- it will allow you the connections to your TV and you can later upgrade the speakers if you feel like - has pre-outs for subwoofers too. Gives you the flexibility to mix and match things.

3 - Active speakers are great but you must know what you are getting into. Multimedia speakers like Edifier should be like a jack of all trade (**I have no experience with this particular model, but I have heard many edifiers and owned a few too), and should be more than enough for your need. I personally do not think this whole 5-6 have a huge impact, but what do I know?

4 - A subwoofer is always good, whether you are using FS or BS, a well integrated subwoofer, is an experience, that in my humble opinion is a must for both movies and music/stereo and surround.
***On a side note here - are you using the desktop as the source? If so I am guessing you will use the services through a browser? If you use the apps - everything should be fine, if not you need to get apps.

5- Given your budget - which is ~55K - that limits your options in the way of going for an AVR/SR + passive setups. In this case - a soundbar 'may be' your best friend. You should be able to get something good in your budget with perhaps - support for surround too and will also include a sub in most cases.

PLEASE NOTE - there are many options and many permutation combinations, most FMs here have gone thru multiple setups and in my personal opinion whatever works best for your current situation and allows you to enjoy in the present is the best option. Happy searching!

Amp options - Norge+Cheap DAC or Entry level Marantz/Denon/Yamaha
Speaker - Current favorite here are Indiq Bookshelves. There is a Group Buy also On. If you prefer more Bass, Go for Q Acoustics 3030, Elac 6.2 or Mission QX2. If budget is constraint you can look at 3020, 5.5 or LX2. Wharfedale are also a worthy contender.

Audition as many as you can and decide.

I would personally go with Norge+Cheap DAC and Indiq Platinum Mishra. Diamond Mishra are superior in all other ways but Platinum are better in Bass.

I have no qualms in buying used products provide they are working and in decent condition.

I thought the general consensus was soundbars are not good and you can get better audio for the same price. You're trading convenience and size for sound quality.

I forgot to mention, I have a sony RT - HTR40 in another room and have mixed feelings about it. I feel the subwoofer works really weird on that. You can't really hear the bass unless the volume is above 60/70 percent which is far too loud. At lower volumes you can barely hear it. But at the higher volumes it really is pretty decent. Is that going to be the case for all of these soundbar setups? The bass is just not present at lower volumes? I generally like to listen at lower volumes.

Also, both of you would not recommend those edifiers then, right?
Hi, I haven’t heard any Edifier speakers so can’t really comment on this.

Thanks all for you responses. Helps narrow things down quite a bit.

Get an Entry level AVR and Bookshelf Speakers and you will be much satisfied.
I believe this is the route I will be going for now.

Agree with this suggestion.

Buy an entry level stereo am (which has optical input), and a pair of good bookshelf speakers.
You will be happy with the sound.

The QAcoustics 3030i is a good recco.

I saw the price of these speakers. With the current group buy giving an additional 20 percent off I believe the Indiq Audio - Diamond/Universal Mishra at 32k is a better value buy?

I would like the ability to go upgrade to surround in future if needed and avoid having to sell my existing gear so I think AVR is better than stereo am for my use case?
1- Do you want to upgrade in the future to a surround setup?
- IF YES - Get an AVR, get passive speakers, floorstanders preferably - BS should be good otherwise and may or may not require a sub - depends on your room and your preferences.
- IF NO - then get a stereo receiver - like the Denon DRA800H types or a cheaper model - there are a few in sub 30K range if I am not wrong- it will allow you the connections to your TV and you can later upgrade the speakers if you feel like - has pre-outs for subwoofers too. Gives you the flexibility to mix and match things.

3 - Active speakers are great but you must know what you are getting into. Multimedia speakers like Edifier should be like a jack of all trade (**I have no experience with this particular model, but I have heard many edifiers and owned a few too), and should be more than enough for your need. I personally do not think this whole 5-6 have a huge impact, but what do I know?

4 - A subwoofer is always good, whether you are using FS or BS, a well integrated subwoofer, is an experience, that in my humble opinion is a must for both movies and music/stereo and surround.
***On a side note here - are you using the desktop as the source? If so I am guessing you will use the services through a browser? If you use the apps - everything should be fine, if not you need to get apps.

5- Given your budget - which is ~55K - that limits your options in the way of going for an AVR/SR + passive setups. In this case - a soundbar 'may be' your best friend. You should be able to get something good in your budget with perhaps - support for surround too and will also include a sub in most cases.

PLEASE NOTE - there are many options and many permutation combinations, most FMs here have gone thru multiple setups and in my personal opinion whatever works best for your current situation and allows you to enjoy in the present is the best option. Happy searching!
1. No, but I'd like to have the OPTION to upgrade to surround if I change my mind, rather than have to buy a new receiver.

4. If I get an AVR + bookshelf. The plan is to have the desktop be the source when using it with the spotify windows app. Browser for the occasional video or two along with twitch stream. From the TV, it would be the Firestick apps so the usual Hotstar/Netflix/Amazon Prime

I agree a subwoofer would be nice to have but I'm guessing this is something I can always add later when I acquire more funds, correct?

5. I'd like to avoid overspending on soundbars if possible

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated!

Amp options - Norge+Cheap DAC or Entry level Marantz/Denon/Yamaha
Speaker - Current favorite here are Indiq Bookshelves. There is a Group Buy also On. If you prefer more Bass, Go for Q Acoustics 3030, Elac 6.2 or Mission QX2. If budget is constraint you can look at 3020, 5.5 or LX2. Wharfedale are also a worthy contender.

Audition as many as you can and decide.

I would personally go with Norge+Cheap DAC and Indiq Platinum Mishra. Diamond Mishra are superior in all other ways but Platinum are better in Bass.

By amp options I am guessing you mean Stereo amps, correct? I would like to go for an AVR . If that is not possible can you suggestions on this " Norge+Cheap DAC". What would be the basic thing to grab?

speaker- as you had mentioned, I have seen the group buy. I will be going for the Indiq Audio Mishras. Can you explain how are the platinum better in bass? I believe the Universal Mishra is what people are referring to as Diamond mishra here?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've got my heart set on either of these [Diamond/Universal or Platinum Mishra] (especially factoring in the group buy discount) so I just have a few queries that I hope someone can help answer:

1) What AVR do I get to pair with either of the above mentioned Indiq's that would best fit my basic use case?

2) If I plan on getting on a subwoofer + rear surrounds later + center channel later. Will the AVR be able to power them or will I have to purchase additional equipment?

3) Do all AVRs come with ARC support or is that something again, only premium AVRs offer?

By amp options I am guessing you mean Stereo amps, correct? I would like to go for an AVR . If that is not possible can you suggestions on this " Norge+Cheap DAC". What would be the basic thing to grab?

speaker- as you had mentioned, I have seen the group buy. I will be going for the Indiq Audio Mishras. Can you explain how are the platinum better in bass? I believe the Universal Mishra is what people are referring to as Diamond mishra here?
Platinum have 8" Woofer, Diamonds have smaller woofer. Hence better Bass. In clarity, imaging, soundstage Diamond are better.

Thanks all for you responses. Helps narrow things down quite a bit.

I believe this is the route I will be going for now.

I saw the price of these speakers. With the current group buy giving an additional 20 percent off I believe the Indiq Audio - Diamond/Universal Mishra at 32k is a better value buy?

I would like the ability to go upgrade to surround in future if needed and avoid having to sell my existing gear so I think AVR is better than stereo am for my use case?

1. No, but I'd like to have the OPTION to upgrade to surround if I change my mind, rather than have to buy a new receiver.

4. If I get an AVR + bookshelf. The plan is to have the desktop be the source when using it with the spotify windows app. Browser for the occasional video or two along with twitch stream. From the TV, it would be the Firestick apps so the usual Hotstar/Netflix/Amazon Prime

I agree a subwoofer would be nice to have but I'm guessing this is something I can always add later when I acquire more funds, correct?

5. I'd like to avoid overspending on soundbars if possible

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've got my heart set on either of these [Diamond/Universal or Platinum Mishra] (especially factoring in the group buy discount) so I just have a few queries that I hope someone can help answer:

1) What AVR do I get to pair with either of the above mentioned Indiq's that would best fit my basic use case?

2) If I plan on getting on a subwoofer + rear surrounds later + center channel later. Will the AVR be able to power them or will I have to purchase additional equipment?

3) Do all AVRs come with ARC support or is that something again, only premium AVRs offer?
As u now almost finalised go for decent avr 5.1.2 like denon. 550 BT or any similar which have option for front Left center n Right with surround plus subwoofer to add.
I suggest u buy slowly but make better choise n Better product.
As speakers are one time investment which last for more that 15 years r more so try getting better speaker n u final interest I see is indiq diamond misra which value for money n it’s have great sounding for movies n music go for it with out second thought u will never regrets n Amit I I’ll support for any queries .
Now u just get indiq indiq front left n right that more that enough along with AVR which budget permits but look for preout amps which benefits u in many ways in future .
Later when budget permits u can go for center n surround +sub
Hope that will satisfy u n budget aswell

check out
They have a wide range of bookshelf & FS speakers which will fit your bill.

I’m getting kairos diy speakers. Eight audio Ara is somewhat similar to Kairos.

Hey

I have a media room. Wanted to upgrade the audio in it and was thinking of getting a pair of active bookshelf speakers that could be hooked up to both my desktop and the TV in it. Was eyeing the Edifier S3000 Pro at around 50k. Not sure if that is overkill or not for my requirements. Currently using the TV as is without anything and Audeze iems for my desktop.

Some additional info:

- Budget ~55k
- Room has no open area leading into a hall or kitchen. It's a repurposed bedroom.
- Room has a tiny itx pc hooked up to a monitor + a 55" tv with a firestick 4k. Use the desktop for gaming and to listen to spotify/youtube/podcasts. Sit on the couch and use the TV when watching something on netflix etc.
- Most of my content consumed is via Netflix 4k / Amazon Prime / Twitch and the occasional Kodi.
- Desktop is also connected via HDMI to the TV for playing some games on the bigger screen
- Type of media consumed: On the desktop during workhours it's mostly music/podcasts. On the TV during leisure time it's a 60/40 split between tv Shows and movies. So I guess I'd want something that is overall good but if I had to choose then something that sounds great for video content would be great.

So given my requirements. Is the Edifier S3000 Pro a good overall choice? Or is it overkill?

- People suggest getting a used AVR + passive bookshelf speakers instead which can be upgraded later down the line [Which I know nothing about]
- Active speakers like the one I was looking at [S3000] are apparently only good for around ~ 4ft/5ft of distance. Any further and the sound quality is lackluster? Is this true?
- Will not having a sub by going for a bookshelf speaker ruin immersion in movies? Especially given the distance from the TV/speakers when on the couch
- Am I better off just getting a soundbar with a subwoofer for the tv + a cheaper nearfield bookshelf for the desktop use?

Thanks!
Edifier S3000 pro is very good powered bookshelf for the price and it's no slouch. You will be happy with it's performance and the bass produced is decent for music. But it doesn't have sub woofer output so an extra sub cannot be added. Also the source of music listening is desktop and tv,so for the desktop if you don't have a discrete sound card,plan to buy a decent one like sound blaster , ae7 or ae9 if your budget permits and then connect it to s3000 pro and it makes night and day difference. A good alternative would be edifier airpulse a100 for around 60-60 k after negotiation as they do have sub out. Connecting the S3000 pro / Airpulse a100 via toslink to your tv and rca to your pc would work fine.... Since you will see movies also in your tv, I would suggest to go with sub woofers as it will add details and depth to your music as well as give the punchy lows needed for movies.

Hey

Some additional info:

- Budget ~55k

Thanks!

Check the below model which i have for the past 2 years now. and, planning to fix this in dedicated media room (11x12 size) with projector

Onkyo HT-S5805 5.1.2-Channel Dolby Atmos Home Theater

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back