Connecting iPhone to DAC

kratu

I would like to connect my
iPhone 5s to a DAC. Problem is that the DAC only has coaxial input. Is there a good way to connect these two?

Some iPod docks have a coax output but these are discontinued (and they don't support lightning connector).

Other option is to use lightning connector to M2tech Hiface USB to SPDIF connector. However I have not tried this.

If you have tried to connect any mobile device to your DAC do let me know the options.

Wireless is a good option, as long as the inputs on the DAC are supported. I use Chromecast Audio and that is limited to Toslink output necessitating a Toslink input on the DAC and also limiting files to 24/96.

Search for wireless DACs or wireless dongle/streaming devices that will receive input from any DLNA/media server and have digital outputs.

Other than wireless, Bluetooth is another option. SQ will be lacking in comparison to wireless though because of compression.

PS: There is a limit to the amount of music you can store on the phone, so long term a media server/streamer like a budget Raspberry Pi setup or a NAS will be in order.

I already have tried the wireless option via an Apple Airport Express. It has a Toslink out. However I found I still have to convert Toslink to Coaxial. Also somehow the AirPlay mode wasn't very good in terms of the sound signature.

I currently use my Blu ray player as a media server. It plays audio from the pen drive. The performance is quite satisfactory. I can't stream music though.

Probably I will go with Network media player in the future. At the moment I don't wish to spend money on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard about Pure i20. However these are discontinued and doesn't support lightning connector.

I already have tried the wireless option via an Apple Airport Express. It has a Toslink out. However I found I still have to convert Toslink to Coaxial. Also somehow the AirPlay mode wasn't very good in terms of the sound signature.

I currently use my Blu ray player as a media server. It plays audio from the pen drive. The performance is quite satisfactory. I can't stream music though.

Probably I will go with Network media player in the future. At the moment I don't wish to spend money on it.

Did not understand why toslink to coaxial is required.

Also, if you have 3rd generation airport express, you will not like the sound. I had purchased it and stopped using it after listening for less than half hour.

Instead try to get 1st generation airport express. (Or if not the 2nd generation).

Most people out here have experience of 3rd generation airport express and have a bitter experience and have disregarded apple. I agree for it but only for 3rd gen. 1st gen is different, i had managed to get one.

Another option is the apple tv. Bit less better than airport express of 1st gen, but better than the 3rd gen airport express.

Optical out of AE connected to extrenal DAC better than analog out.

Last edited:
Did not understand why toslink to coaxial is required.

Also, if you have 3rd generation airport express, you will not like the sound. I had purchased it and stopped using it after listening for less than half hour.

Instead try to get 1st generation airport express. (Or if not the 2nd generation).

Most people out here have experience of 3rd generation airport express and have a bitter experience and have disregarded apple. I agree for it but only for 3rd gen. 1st gen is different, i had managed to get one.

Another option is the apple tv. Bit less better than airport express of 1st gen, but better than the 3rd gen airport express.

Optical out of AE connected to extrenal DAC better than analog out.

As mentioned in my first post my DAC only accepts coaxial input.

I'm sure you haven't tried RPI & Digi+ combo with your DAC. Moode OS (just an instance) on RPI supports Wireless streaming via UPNP apps from mobiles.

Sent from a handheld device. Some typos may creep in

I'm sure you haven't tried RPI & Digi+ combo with your DAC. Moode OS (just an instance) on RPI supports Wireless streaming via UPNP apps from mobiles.

Thanks. I haven't tried RPI. I will check how I can stream music from Apple Music on iPhone.

I have been contemplating the same. To be precise, I have a USB powered DAC ( which accepts USB input), so connecting iPhone 6 through the USB port to the DAC will do the job? Its the same port on the iPhone that accepts the charging cable.

I am not sure, if this would do for you Lightning to USB adaptor Normally a camera connection kit is needed for connecting a dac to a lightning port.

Thanks. I haven't tried RPI. I will check how I can stream music from Apple Music on iPhone.

Moode OS on raspberry pi supports Airplay. I believe this might solve the rest of the problems.

I have been contemplating the same. To be precise, I have a USB powered DAC ( which accepts USB input), so connecting iPhone 6 through the USB port to the DAC will do the job? Its the same port on the iPhone that accepts the charging cable.

Although the port is the same, the cable which is supplied by Apple is only for charging. It will not work for streaming music into a DAC.

What you would need is a Lightning to Camera Cable Adapter. Here is an article that explains it.
http://blog.jdslabs.com/?p=838

This cable has a chip. Third party providers need to have an Apple certified chip. Personally I would think twice before buying cables from other manufacturers. Even if it is by Apple, I can't guarantee of this works with iPhone 6 or with specific DACs. This is largely a work around solution. And therefore results might wary.

I was using BDP as the source to stream music from Network and USBs like you do now, its very inconvenient. Then I thought of buying a Media player, but then these are very slow in every aspect, also they need a dedicated Hard Drive or a NAS and a TV connected to them.

You can build an HTPC, but that would mean investment and you will always need to have a TV connected to play music. I have seen people in this forum spending exorbitant amounts on an HTPC just to stream music, my suggestion is please dont go that route.

Never tried RPI, not sure how easy it is, but I am guessing its cheap but needs some effort to build.

The best option I would suggest is to buy a Mac (investment again) but you will not have any headaches with this route, no TV needed, it has its own screen. Or use an old windows laptop (assuming everyone can get hold of an old unused laptop), there are many different ways to stream music from iPhone to Windows PC, here's one - Turn Your Windows PC Into An AirPlay Receiver To Stream Songs From iPhone, iPad And iPod touch | Redmond Pie

If your DAC only has Coaxial, sorry, you will have to buy USB to coaxial cable.

I have researched about the RPI route. It is tricky to get iTunes to get working. The nearest thing is to get Android OS to be installed. Overall requires lot of time in tinkering around.

I have moved my focus on a more convenient and future ready scalable solution. A dedicated network player which can take a variety of inputs (NAS, pen drive, iPhone, AirPlay). I am thinking of starting a new thread soliciting advice on good network players.

I have acquired a network player Pioneer N-50A. It has input for iPod/iPhone. Just what I wanted. I can now play Apple Music from the iPhone. With a DAC which can play DSD files, I think it is future ready.

Last week i purchased apple cable for usb out from ipad. Lightning to usb camera adapter is the cable name.

Sent from Note5

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back