connecting laptop to avr for 5.1 sound

firearm12

Guys, please guide how to hook up laptop to an avr to get 5.1 sound. can it be done over hdmi or it will require a 5.1 usb sound card. What's the preferred way. I googled and found that somewhere its written it can be dome via hdmi and somewhere its written hdmi over pc can only support 2 channels. Please guide.

does your AVR show up in
Control Panel --> Sound

If so, click Properties --> Supported formats and check the formats
I know this is a silly question, does the source file have 5.1 encoding?

Cheers,
Raghu

no actually i dont have n avr as of now. What i have is an asus u7 7.1 sound card which is not being used and which i am looking to sell. So trying to find out if it will be of any use or not in future if i get an avr.

Guys, please guide how to hook up laptop to an avr to get 5.1 sound. can it be done over hdmi or it will require a 5.1 usb sound card. What's the preferred way. I googled and found that somewhere its written it can be dome via hdmi and somewhere its written hdmi over pc can only support 2 channels. Please guide.

Yes you can hook up your laptop with HDMI to any AVR with HDMI function... Once you connect, you need to select the speaker icon on your desktop & make the audio settings.

You can also take your laptop to any demo place and check this yourself before you buy your AVR...

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back