Connecting PC to TV (without VGA port)

ArunOnline

I currently have a 2+ year old Samsung 32" LCD and I have it connected to my PC using VGA port on the TV. My PC has a GeForce graphics card with multi-monitor support (2 * DVI out), so I have screen 1 on my PC monitor and screen 2 on my TV. However I am looking to buy a new Samsung 51E550 Plasma TV and I noticed that it does not have a VGA port:

Connectivity

3 HDMI
2 USB
Headphone x 1 ea
Component In (Y / Pb / Pr) x 1 ea
Composite In (AV) x 1 (Common Use for Component Y) ea
Digital Audio Out (Optical) x 1 ea
Scart x Yes ea
Ethernet (LAN) x 1 ea
DVI Audio In (Mini Jack) x 1 (Common Use for PC Audio) ea
RF In (Terrestrial / Cable input) x 1 ea

Can anyone suggest me what would be the best way to get the PC connected to the Samsung Plasma TV without VGA port?

I currently have a 2+ year old Samsung 32" LCD and I have it connected to my PC using VGA port on the TV. My PC has a GeForce graphics card with multi-monitor support (2 * DVI out), so I have screen 1 on my PC monitor and screen 2 on my TV. However I am looking to buy a new Samsung 51E550 Plasma TV and I noticed that it does not have a VGA port:

Connectivity

3 HDMI
2 USB
Headphone x 1 ea
Component In (Y / Pb / Pr) x 1 ea
Composite In (AV) x 1 (Common Use for Component Y) ea
Digital Audio Out (Optical) x 1 ea
Scart x Yes ea
Ethernet (LAN) x 1 ea
DVI Audio In (Mini Jack) x 1 (Common Use for PC Audio) ea
RF In (Terrestrial / Cable input) x 1 ea

Can anyone suggest me what would be the best way to get the PC connected to the Samsung Plasma TV without VGA port?

I faced the same exact problem a year back. Whatever you do, DO NOT buy an hdmi to vga cable as they are all fake. These cables can't simply work because hdmi is a digital signal and vga is an analog signal.

I connected a dvi to hdmi adapter to my graphics card(looks like this http://pcdownload.asia/avocent-dvi-hdmi-adapter-lg.jpg) and then connected the tv with the adapter using a standard hdmi cable. I am also using an Nvidia Graphics card (Gforce 9600). The picture quality is superb.

I hope this helps. :)

Suggest to go with HDMI.........might need to upgrade your graphics card later. The pic quality will also improve with HDMI. So that is something you need to eventually do later.

Use a DVI to HDMI adapter or cable. These are backward compatible ie, HDMI to DVI or DVI to HDMI. However audio is not supported. If you buy the adapter, then you will need a spare HDMI cable also. You should also check the pin number of your DVI out like 24 or 29. But before buying these adapter or cable, please check whether the TV has DVI port. Since there is a 'DVI Audio In (Mini Jack) x 1 (Common Use for PC Audio)' there should be a DVI input also.

If you need a DVI-HDMI adapter then I have a spare unused one. If you are interested then pm me.

sorry............did not realize your graphics card has DVI. That solves your problem.........use a DVI to HDMI adapter and you are good to go. Digital to Digital is possible but analog to digital is the problem. DVI to HDMI is digital to digital so will not be any problem. For audio you can use the audio out from your PC.

Use a DVI to HDMI adapter or cable. These are backward compatible ie, HDMI to DVI or DVI to HDMI. However audio is not supported. If you buy the adapter, then you will need a spare HDMI cable also. You should also check the pin number of your DVI out like 24 or 29. But before buying these adapter or cable, please check whether the TV has DVI port. Since there is a 'DVI Audio In (Mini Jack) x 1 (Common Use for PC Audio)' there should be a DVI input also.

If you need a DVI-HDMI adapter then I have a spare unused one. If you are interested then pm me.

DVI does support audio. I have a DVI-HDMI converter which sometimes/rarely i use to connect my tv..it is connected to my XFX Nvidia GT 9400 card & the card outputs both audio+video

^^^ Oh, didn't know that it can support audio signals also. However I prefer to use optical audio out from the PC to the Home Theater's optical audio. In case the audio works over the DVI-HDMI converter cable will I still be able to get audio through the optical cable (as I think HDMI will be given preference when both are connected)?

^^^ Oh, didn't know that it can support audio signals also. However I prefer to use optical audio out from the PC to the Home Theater's optical audio. In case the audio works over the DVI-HDMI converter cable will I still be able to get audio through the optical cable (as I think HDMI will be given preference when both are connected)?

yes you can be. but if your graphics card sound chip has ability to stream dolby thd / dts hd & if you play movie with any of these audio.. then it won't work on optical as it is supported over HDMI only. your avr will display the signals as dolby & dts

My graphics card don't have the inbuilt sound device so i connect a 2 pin cable from motherboard sound spdif output to my card's 2 pin spdif input & then the card sends the audio from the DVI>HDMI converter to my AVR

DVI does support audio. I have a DVI-HDMI converter which sometimes/rarely i use to connect my tv..it is connected to my XFX Nvidia GT 9400 card & the card outputs both audio+video

HDMI transfers video at the same quality levels as DVI, but the added advantage of HDMI is that it also carries sound through the one cable. Since the output on your graphics card is DVI, you'll need to also connect an audio cable (the red/white or left/right stereo kind). The graphics cards would have support for HDMI and DVI, but would only support digital audio over HDMI and not DVI.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back