Converting old Onkyo reciever to stereo amp,how good it will be?

• Thread starter Deleted member 45006
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 45006

Guys, I have an old Onkyo AV reciever (HTR 990 THX) with me, which has a damaged digital circuitory, after a voltage problem. I took it to the service personal, who told me that its hard to get the same digital board blah, blah.. bt he said, its amp is functional, 7 channels,rated at 110 w rms each.My question is, if I m to use the amp section,alone taking out what all were there other than that,will it be any good.The amp had digital controls for volume,bass and treble.. But though it was an AV reciever, it was sonically good,when it was functional.. when used in stereo modes.. (the product has good reviews too)..

Do I have to add a pre amp,for this.. When I used to listen to music on it,I never used, the bass treble section,there was an option"pure audio" to bypass them.. if i m not using,any other circuits to this,will it sound the same,if I just get two analag inputs for two of its channels? Somebody has some idea? Or am I just wasting my time on this? I have an offer,3K for the scrap! But I still have a heart feeling on selling this!

I think it will work. In order to check you will have to first identify the amplifier board. After that identify the inputs to the analog board (the first point of entry of analog signal on to the amplifier section). Then you need to apply a test audio input which can be from an old cassette player/CD player's 3.5 mm audio jack, whose one end is connected to the amplifier section. Then fire up the amplifier keeping volume of the AVR to 50% and volume of CD player/cassette player 0 %. Gradually increase volume of CD player, see if it is heard from your AVR.
caution: We have no way of knowing what is the amplification of signal coming from CD player/Cassette player. so keep the initial volume 0%. otherwise you amplifier section might blow off

Last edited:
If the amp is still working, you can use it with a 7.1 analog bdp or htpc for movie playback.

Hi,

This AV receiver has got 7.1 Analog inputs. Connect your CDP to FL & FR inputs of your AVR 7.1 Analog in . If sound comes From Front Left and Right speaker, the analog section is perfectly alright, no repair needs to be done. You will be able to use Volume control also.

Digital Circuits not working !! no issue !! take it as an opportunity. Buy some 3-way active crossover and Tri-amp your system using 6 amps of your AVR. I presume there will be huge improvement in sound quality .

You will need.
1. 3-way Active Crossover
2. Speakers in 3 way Active configuration[ for DIY see thread by Bibin3210
3. 6 channel Amplification - you already have.

Before making any investment please check that 6 channels of your AVR is wirking.

Regards,

Vipin.

Is it an experiment? or you badly need an AMP?

if you need AMP...ssa in the diy section will be a nice project i can guess.
Simple to make , good reviews.

Hi Alby tommy,

i have attached the pic of the insides of a Onkyo 690 reciever , it uses the Famed Sanyo STK amplifier sections , if you could check inside your reciever whether it has the same STK series amplifier circuitry ,then it is definitely possible to use just the amps :).

why don't you post a similar pic and we can take a look at the possibilities, i have done a similar exercise some years ago where i had ripped out the amp section of a Sony super Fh emblem and used it successfully .

There are tons of amplifier & recievers which use the STK series and it is easy to get them up & running provided you have dealt with circuitry before and have some experience building the same.

Attachments

• onkyo.jpg
    onkyo.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 45
Unfortunately, my friend took it away.. As by mistake I had, agreed him long back.. and personal reasons.. So,there is nothing now to DIY! Hope he would try this, his plan is to convert it to a 5.1 amp with 2 channels bridged to use a subwoofer amp.. And for the info, it uses Toshiba's IC's.. Thanks alot for the advice, though I m helpless now..

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back