DAC SELECTION- Denafrip ARES 12 -1 VS S.M.S.L - SU-X VS Topping - D90III SABRE

sachin.shiva

Hi,
Help me in selection among
Denafrip ARES 12 -1 VS S.M.S.L - SU-X VS Topping - D90III SABRE.
Denafrip is R2R and costly. RS -1.14 LAKHS.
SMSL SU X has two ES9039MSPRO DAC chips from ESS.- RS 95K
TOPPING D90III-Featuring two cutting-edge ES9039SPRO DAC chips .-RS 85K

Has any one experienced sound signatures of all three dac ?,is R2R more superior than DS dac?
Any inputs are welcome with respect to listening experience or from assuage of any above dacs .

please suggest does Denafrip makes so much sound different as compared to delta sigma dac?

Thank you .

Dear Sir,

I must mention that your comparison seems quite simple. It's crucial to understand that when evaluating digital-to-analog converters, we must compare similar architectures to draw into conclusions. In this context, Sigma Delta and R2R are very different, each with its own set of characteristics and advantages.

Sigma Delta DACs utilize a complex oversampling technique combined with noise shaping to achieve high resolution and low distortion. These DACs are found in mainstream consumer electronics due to their cost-effectiveness and ability to integrate multiple functions on a single chip. However, they may sacrifice some detail and tonal accuracy in pursuit of efficiency.

On the other hand, R2R DACs, operate on a different principle. They have a network of precise resistor ladder to convert digital signals into analog voltages directly. This architecture offers excellent linearity and transient response, resulting in a more natural and faithful reproduction of audio. However, R2R DACs are often tricky at times.

Regarding Topping and SMSL DACs, they excel within their respective price ranges, offering excellent performance and features. However, it's essential to recognize that the Denafrips Aries represents a significant advancement towards ladder architecture. While it may not claim the title of the ultimate R2R DAC, it undoubtedly stands as a formidable contender in the realm of high-fidelity audio reproduction.

Ultimately, the choice of DAC depends on your specific requirements and preferences. Before seeking opinions, it's good to define your expectations and priorities in a DAC. By telling us your needs clearly, members here can offer more relevant and insightful recommendations to meet your preferences.

Regards,
Som

Hi,

Has any one experienced sound signatures of all three dac ?,is R2R more superior than DS dac?
Any inputs are welcome with respect to listening experience or from assuage of any above dacs .

please suggest does Denafrip makes so much sound different as compared to delta sigma dac?

Thank you .
In my opinion wrong comparisons. They are all excellent dacs in their own right. Try to audition them and see which one tingles your taste buds the most. Dont go just by chip type.

I would add GUSTARD - R26 to the list too.

MaSh

Hi,

Thank you .
In isolation every product is good, but how it performs with your chain is to be seen. While price serves as an indicator of component quality and features, it offers limited insight into sound performance. Loan the above DACs from friends and see how well they pair up with your remaining audio chain and then decide.

In isolation every product is good, but how it performs with your chain is to be seen. While price serves as an indicator of component quality and features, it offers limited insight into sound performance. Loan the above DACs from friends and see how well they pair up with your remaining audio chain and then decide.
thank you for suggestion sir

Hi,

Thank you .
All are Very Good Products, share details of your chain Streamer, Amp and Speakers etc, kind of music you listen to.
How big is the room and is it acoustically treated etc...
Because everyone will go along with their preferences and experience, you'll be more confused than you started with. For Eg. I'd not consider ESS DACs, I'll go with either Ares2 or mostly with Current Favorite Gustard R26 (& Chord Qutest if I'm forced to go with Delta Sigma); but you shouldn't give rat's ass to such suggestions, unless you're doing a random audiophile survey.

Dear Sir,

I must mention that your comparison seems quite simple. It's crucial to understand that when evaluating digital-to-analog converters, we must compare similar architectures to draw into conclusions. In this context, Sigma Delta and R2R are very different, each with its own set of characteristics and advantages.

Sigma Delta DACs utilize a complex oversampling technique combined with noise shaping to achieve high resolution and low distortion. These DACs are found in mainstream consumer electronics due to their cost-effectiveness and ability to integrate multiple functions on a single chip. However, they may sacrifice some detail and tonal accuracy in pursuit of efficiency.

On the other hand, R2R DACs, operate on a different principle. They have a network of precise resistor ladder to convert digital signals into analog voltages directly. This architecture offers excellent linearity and transient response, resulting in a more natural and faithful reproduction of audio. However, R2R DACs are often tricky at times.

Regarding Topping and SMSL DACs, they excel within their respective price ranges, offering excellent performance and features. However, it's essential to recognize that the Denafrips Aries represents a significant advancement towards ladder architecture. While it may not claim the title of the ultimate R2R DAC, it undoubtedly stands as a formidable contender in the realm of high-fidelity audio reproduction.

Ultimately, the choice of DAC depends on your specific requirements and preferences. Before seeking opinions, it's good to define your expectations and priorities in a DAC. By telling us your needs clearly, members here can offer more relevant and insightful recommendations to meet your preferences.

Regards,
Som
Thank you, sir.

Hi,

Thank you .
Ares will definitely sound different to the SMSL & Topping. It will be more forgiving of harsh/bad recordings, but the chip ones will have more clarity.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back