DAC within INR 1 Lac budget

AMITNOIDA

One of my friend wants to purchase a DAC within INR 1 Lac budget. I have not much of idea of DAC at this price point. So need your suggestion please. The DAC is better available in India, because my friend is averse to source from abroad.

There are many. Arcam, nad, marantz, m2tech... Etc the list is endless,unless you narrow down on what you want and don't want. Just go to few of the usual Delhi audio show rooms & you'll get ample demos.
All the best
Cheers

What would the other equipment in his chain be? A lot would depend on that...

There are plenty of options around that range or a few Ks more...Benchmark DAC2, NAD M51, M2Tech

Schiit Gungnir is what I want to try next. but...

The DAC is better available in India, because my friend is averse to source from abroad.

They sell direct. From USA. Advantage: better deal without channel markups. Disadvantage: I'm a bit averse to high-price imports too.

One of my friend wants to purchase a DAC within INR 1 Lac budget. I have not much of idea of DAC at this price point. So need your suggestion please. The DAC is better available in India, because my friend is averse to source from abroad.

I can make something like ES9018 dualmono dac with xmos usb converter right here in India if you are interested.

I was in the same quest some 2-3 years ago, with a slightly flexible budget. The DACs that figured in my shortlist were:

Antelope Zodiac
PRISM Lyra
Wyred4Sound
AP Thiyaga
Weiss DAC 2
Nuforce DAC 9

I auditioned all except the first two. My heart was set at Weiss DAC 2 but ended up getting the Nuforce (though I have upgraded since and now selling off).

You can read the whole story here: http://www.hifivision.com/dac/33263-dac-around-inr-100k.html

PS: Rs 1L is kind of an odd buudget for a DAC in India. You either keep it under 60k or spend over 130k.

Last edited:
I can make something like ES9018 dualmono dac with xmos usb converter right here in India if you are interested.
You have run some group buys on DIY forum with poor/error designed boards and support-
Low cost ES9018 DAC board GB - Page 52 - diyAudio
FM had to sort out issues themselves.
You are also not interested to give Demo to Chennai members where you reside.

Thanks Neo, Soulforged, Longshanks, Thad & Ranjeetrain for your suggestions. I will definitely pass them on to my friend at Guwahati. I don't know how much opportunity he has to listen even few of them there. I think he will have to come to Kolkata (his hometown also) for demo.

Also, I have added one more i.e. Line Magnetic LM502CA as suggested by one friend.

Last edited:
You have run some group buys on DIY forum with poor/error designed boards and support-
Low cost ES9018 DAC board GB - Page 52 - diyAudio
FM had to sort out issues themselves.
You are also not interested to give Demo to Chennai members where you reside.

I am not the only one currently making dacs in Chennai. The dacs i have made are these audiodesine's Library | Photobucket and some are yet to be made like the ES9018AQ2M and ES9018Q2C. I was really surprised to see people buying from places like China and people like you enquiring about those dacs sold on ebay in diyaudio but not interested in anything made in India. When i have time i will surely give demos to people interested in my dacs.

rdio,

your post is quite interesting and nice to see.

Maybe it deserves another separate thread started by you where you can post pics and descriptions etc.. and maybe invite some chennai FM's over to hear your creations.

I am sure folks will be enthused to see someone from India who can produce good musical and reliable stuff at a win - win pricing.

regards

I currently own a TEAC UD 501. I mostly use it with up-sampling off and digital filter set to sharp. With this setting the bass is really defined and deep, mid is anyway not much of an issue in any good DAC and the upper rung is a little rounded (don't be alarmed just a touch rounded) but extremely melodious and separated. Instrument separation and sound-stage is also very good. Before buying the TEAC, I did a DAC shootout at home with the following DACs: Cambridge Audio DAC Magic Plus, Arcam rDac, Arcam irDac, Teac UD 501.

After a couple of days of swapping and listening, here are my observations:

1) Cambridge Audio DAC Magic Plus
- Very entry level sound. A little congested top end and bottom end is not so tight (no pun intended).

2) Arcam rDac
- One can live with it for long. Very balanced with only one apparent problem, the noise floor is higher than my liking. A little darker background would have made it a little wonder.

3) Arcam irDac
- Not really similar to rDac. Highly defined top end yet not bright, extremely grain-less sound. But I noticed a mild bass bump in a few tracks, that additional boom in mid bass did put me off.

4) Teac UD 501
- Not as highly defined top end as irDac (just a notch less) but pretty much there is nothing in the sound signature that calls for undue attention.

Please note that I have used only digital coax inputs in all the Dacs. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
If you have any friends who can carry it from abroad, I would want you to give Naim Dac and Metrum a thought. Thanks!

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back