Deciding on 55' 4k led tv - nu7400 frontrunner

eriek_halenx

Hello friends,

I'm looking to upgrade my tv from my old samsung es 6200 32' and am bit of a noob on TV's. My usage will be for streaming movies / serials, blu ray rentals. I wont be using gaming consoles. Ive an old 5.1 yamaha ht-196 for audio. My budget is < 1L. I'm from Thiruvananthapuram in Kerala.

I looked around a few tv's in a shop. It was LG and Samsung mostly, because Sony seemed about 25% more pricey and I didnt want to try TCL etc after reading the reviews on Amazon. Dropped LG as I wanted VA panel instead of IPS. So decided to get the Samsung NU8000 55'. It had a good review on rtings.com, and it looked the better than LG to me (blacks and color were vibrant). We agreed on a price of 1.06L but the salesman called me up a few days later to say that this model is out of stock and wont come back as Samsung is replacing this model over to QLED screen. Now I'm thinking of the NU7470 55' and got a quote of ~85k. My doubts are

1. Is the NU7470 worth paying over the NU7100? This isnt reviewed on rtings etc

2. Is the price of 85k reasonable for the nu7470?

3. samsung has the HDR 10+ format. while most netflix series are in dolby vision HDR, which samsung doesnt / may never support (but LG and Sony will). Should that be a consideration?

Thank you,
S

Last edited:
I have Samsung 4k, 2018 model and the Dolby vision titles in Netflix are dislayed as HDR in title menu, and they stream without any issues. I believe that if your TV supports Dolby vision it will be automatically be displayed as Dolby vision content in netflix.
Another aspect u should look into is DTS passthrough / playback & eARC support when buying new TV, in case you are planning home theatre .

I have Samsung 4k, 2018 model and the Dolby vision titles in Netflix are dislayed as HDR in title menu, and they stream without any issues. I believe that if your TV supports Dolby vision it will be automatically be displayed as Dolby vision content in netflix.
Another aspect u should look into is DTS passthrough / playback & eARC support when buying new TV, in case you are planning home theatre .
Thanks. Which model did you get? And what other models did you consider? I booked the nu7470 the day before. Gave a 500 rs advance. Should get it this Monday. I'm not sure it supports eArc.

I've a htib Yamaha yht 196, which is connected via hdmi ARC. It plays 'dolby digital plus' from my fire tv stick. But I'm not exactly sure what all formats it will support. Need to upgrade it's sub to an active one...

I've also an old Samsung Blu-ray player - e5500. It was seldom used. Fire tv stick and usb were the primary media source. Movie enthusiasts may know about publicHD. Which looked fabulous due to higher bit rate than the current market leader :p. So i ordered a pair of marvel movies from Amazon for 300 a piece... . Eager to see how good a non hdr 1080p actual Blu-ray would look on a 4k tv, compared to a 4k compressed streamed movie.

It seems nu7470 is also out of stock now for this dealer. So I've been offered the ru7470 for same price. Will get it tomorrow.

Hi,

A quick review of the 55 ru7470. Since tv was to be placed on a tv stand, we did the installation ourselves. instructions given were straightforward.

1. 4k HDR :) Blacks are really dark black, no greyishness seen. Good brightness. Colors have a good 'pop' as in a typical samsung tv / mobile.

2. Tv supports most file formats in usb. Tried playing the usual mkv x265 files. All work.

3. Nice remote. Works well as universal remote for stb, htib, fire tv stick etc. Configuration is easy.

4. Nice Samsung smartapp for phone. Easy to use and configure.

5. Tizen UI is smooth. No lag. Netflix, Prime video app etc work well.

dislikes:
1. Initially fire tv stick wasnt recognized. There was no option to select is also under streaming device. Everything else from apple to roku is present. I had to switch tv and device on and off multiple times for it to automatically get detected.

2. Samsung Smartapp doesnt have keyboard support. Users of firetv app (or any app that has keyboard) will sorely miss this.

3. There is noticeable judder with judder reduction set to off. Had to set judder value to 2-3.

4. Screen reflection is high, its not a 'matte finish' where light is dispersed. Annoying in dark scenes if you have a window / light source behind you.

5. Some minor app quirks like eg for twitch app, you dont have the option to login. Youtube app doesnt have 60fps option etc...

6. No audio output / doesnt support ffmpeg DTS. Lots of files on the internet for UHD 4k x265 are ffmpeg DTS audio. It plays ffmpeg TrueHD.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back