Deciding on a LED/Plasma

kpp

Hi All,

I was doing some reading, I am planning to pickup a 42 inch TV. My Choice was limited to LED, and upon quite a research i zeroed in to Sony KDL42EX650or the LG 42LS5700.

My budget is around 50000 to 60000 INR. My requirements and usage,

>> Xbox gaming ocassionally
>> Movies
>> If internet features are available streaming videos sometimes

I do not care for 3D TV at all. I have a few questions after reading a lot of posts here,

1. Plasma or LED? If Plasma, which model? and will it cause any problems while gaming? For movies it looks like Plasma is hands down better. How is the experience of watching Plasma under a 40 Watt Tube Light?
2. If LED which one among the two listed above?
3. How reliable would it be to pick up from Gaffar market Delhi? And does anyone know the recent prices or any similar market here in Bangalore?

regards,
Writankar

1. Plasma is not recommended for Gaming as games have static area which will result in burn-in. But for movies Plasma is very good. To me the plasma brightness under a tube light looked as good as an LED.

2. Sony is 40" and has limited playback capability from usb. LG is 42" and supports more file formats. Demo both and decide yourself.

1. Plasma is NOT recommended for you. For gaming, even though LED has more lag and response time is low, LED is still recommended to avoid IR (as Baiju mentioned above).

2. If you are going to buy via official route, 40HX650 (street price = 65K) will exceed your budget. You should go to multi-brand showrooms (and not necessarily big names such as Reliance Digital, eZone, etc.) and look at the many models in your budget. I found that Philips had better colour accuracy than EX650. But you check for yourself.

3. If you go the unofficial route you will miss out on 1st year warranty and free installation. That's all.

1. How often do you game?
2. How long do you game at a time?
3. On what size/type screen have you been gaming so far?

Go for Sony ex650. You will be happy. i don't want to confuse you. Just make sure demo the ex650 in a showroom before making the final decision cos what is more important is that you should be satisfied with your decision.

1. How often do you game?
2. How long do you game at a time?
3. On what size/type screen have you been gaming so far?

1. I game ocassionally but if i like a game i tend to finish it.
2. 1 hour max or even less
3. Desktop 22 inches

Anyone has idea about grey market in Bangalore?

From personal experience stay away from LG in India. If not looking for 3d the EX 650 is a real good buy.
Excellent sound & picture quality. I got it down from Bangkok last week for 35500 + 3000 customs duty (he insisted on valuing it at 45000).
There is an international warranty too with the product, but again from past experience (I have a 46' lcd & 46" HX750) nothing goes wrong with a sony.

Do take a demo for yourself though. Very little to give or take to be honest.

1. I game ocassionally but if i like a game i tend to finish it.
2. 1 hour max or even less
3. Desktop 22 inches

Anyone has idea about grey market in Bangalore?

If just 1 hr is your max gaming time, then you can definitely consider a plasma. People watch the same channel for an entire evening and have not had logo burn in issues. There will definitely be temporary IR - you just cannot avoid that.

From personal experience stay away from LG in India. If not looking for 3d the EX 650 is a real good buy.
Excellent sound & picture quality. I got it down from Bangkok last week for 35500 + 3000 customs duty (he insisted on valuing it at 45000).
There is an international warranty too with the product, but again from past experience (I have a 46' lcd & 46" HX750) nothing goes wrong with a sony.

Do take a demo for yourself though. Very little to give or take to be honest.

Require a clarification ... One of my friends got EX520 from Bangkok and after an year, a vertical and an horizontal line got developed. My friend was ready to replace the panel. When the service engineer inspected the panel, he said that they don't get that particular panel in India. My understanding is that Sony doesn't do panel lottery, but are there different panels across the region for the same model ? My understanding is that the panels should be same across the globe, but I may be wrong.

IR with plasma can be equated to low ground clearance and bottom scrapping with Honda cars. Cannot be completely eliminated but avoided.

IR with plasma can be equated to low ground clearance and bottom scrapping with Honda cars. Cannot be completely eliminated but avoided.

Oh man.. I swear.. that car loves to scrap all speed breakers... I am now used to to it... and here in India we love to put speed breakers everywhere, of all sizes & shapes..

Regarding the OP, I think a LED will suit you better, considering that you are looking at 40 incher, and Plasmas are better if you are looking for a bigger screen.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back