denon avr330 and others with random shutdown problem

Srinath_seshadri

Has anyone here had a denon avr 3300 with a random shutdown problem ?
Not just isolated to the 3300, I also have had a 3600 do it. So has anyone had a denon do that.

Thanks.
Srinath.

Random shutdown may be due to low/high voltage and high temperature inside the enclosure. My Denon avr shutsdown if the voltage is above 250V or below 150V.

one of my colleagues with a AVR 1612 had the same problem of random shutting down, initially the frequency was every 2 to 3 hours and slowly it started to reduce and finally every 30 mins its was shutting down. It was within warranty so he called service guys at profx, they came and dismantled the AVR and put all the parts and wires back in tightly, problem solved. They said that sometime due to transport this can happen that some parts remain loose and over time create similar problem.

However as baiju said it can also be over voltage or over heat protection. Better call the servcie technician even if not in warranty.

My AVR has also problems like it won't start when the power button is pressed for the first time and it will go in to protection mode. Pressing the power button again works. This problem is random though. Today I found a weird problem. I installed GT520 GPU and was trying to configure the hdmi audio to 5.1. When I send test tones from windows playback devices, the AVR went into protection mode as soon as the Left Rear speaker starts playing. I tried it a few times but the problem is there even after removing all the speakers physically. Interestingly there is no problem when I play a two channel music in multichannel stereo or a 5.1 movie or when testing the speakers from avr channel level. This problem is there only when I test the Left Rear speaker from windows sound control panel. I tried both ATI HDMI out and nVidia HDMI out. Any one experienced similar problem?

My AVR has also problems like it won't start when the power button is pressed for the first time and it will go in to protection mode. Pressing the power button again works. This problem is random though. Today I found a weird problem. I installed GT520 GPU and was trying to configure the hdmi audio to 5.1. When I send test tones from windows playback devices, the AVR went into protection mode as soon as the Left Rear speaker starts playing. I tried it a few times but the problem is there even after removing all the speakers physically. Interestingly there is no problem when I play a two channel music in multichannel stereo or a 5.1 movie or when testing the speakers from avr channel level. This problem is there only when I test the Left Rear speaker from windows sound control panel. I tried both ATI HDMI out and nVidia HDMI out. Any one experienced similar problem?

This sounds like the dsp problem denon has had. I am not sure about 1912, you google it, it may be one of those, the problem was solved by re soldering the dsp chip, a truly tiny chip with a bad solder joint in one or more corners if I recall.
Cool.
Srinath.

My problem seems serious. I checked the AVR with different inputs like hdmi out of dth, optical out of htpc and the avr shuts down whenever there is signal through the left rear channel. It is very irritating while watching movies. I need to service it again.:sad:

Left rear ... you could have a bad transistor in the left rear, or a speaker whose impedance is dropping @ some frequencies (typically high freq). Infinity emit tweeters - which are planar magnetics tend to display that problem. I would put in a resistor in series with those, or really not use them in a 2 way, 3 way with lpad and resettable line fuse. When played long, when played hard, and when they are the only ones playing in the speaker, they can drop impedance to 1 or even less ohm.

They sound damn good, but they are amp killers.

Cool.
Srinath.

The denon's random shutdown is a thermal shutdown. I am hoping to find someone who has worked on it and fixed it. I will post how my denon goes.
it sounds like it.
It could be one of overheataing due to insufficient ventilation (like mentioned above), or due to mismatch in speaker - amp combo (something like playing a 4 ohm load in an 8 ohm capable amp. It can even appear in an 4 ohm load with a 4 ohm capable amp - depending on the speaker and amp in question). If speakers are demanding in power, then you might need an even more powerful amp.
Assuming there is enough ventilation, Try playing the same with crossover at 100Hz and above. If the problem disappears, it is likely that the amp dosent have the juice in it to drive those speakers at high volumes. The bass region below 100 usually draws a good amount of power.

To get an idea, what els could go wrong. Some amps have Front A/B option which can be switched via remote and played together. I faced a problem with my amp where i had connected front towers to Front A and surrounds to Front B. And then i played both A/B together. While my speakers were 4 ohms loads, when connecting fronts and surrounds to Front A/B and playing them together, the amp sees it as a parallel load, meaning 2 ohms. They are not seperate channels although they have seperate terminals.

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back