DENON Owners thread

My Yamaha RXV 667 lasted for 7 years. Then had to repair it as CPU gone bad due to moisture. If it was in dry climate area, it would have lasted more.

Could you say all reveivers last 9 years? Speakers do but reveivers dont last more than 3 or 4 years where a very popular moisture induced pcb repair work has been documented by many in this forum itself due to Indian climatic conditions. Plus HDMI boards are the problem child as u have witnessed yourself. It could happen a day after warranty too. 9 years is an outlier case. The possible median and mode of such data distribution available by those who own a receivee would fall at 3 years.
Hmm... I have never had issues with AVRs... ( Used only Denon..3 models) ...all of them have lasted for about 10 yrs without any issues... May be just lucky :) and Hope it continues...

Back to square one again, any AVR with an HDMI board will go kaput easier than their non-HDMI counterparts. There of course, will be exceptions. But generally speaking I am always wary, afraid, sure that any unit with an HDMI board/connector on it is surely prone to failure.

I think
My Yamaha RXV 667 lasted for 7 years. Then had to repair it as CPU gone bad due to moisture. If it was in dry climate area, it would have lasted more.
Good to see other having better life with the AVR. Hope your next one has better life.

Regarding the lower lifespan people have been experiencing, the scientific way to address this would be to find out more info and compare.
  1. What protection is being used for the AV receiver?
  2. Where is the receiver placed? Closed, semi-closed, fully open.
  3. What kind of power anomalies does one face? Power cuts, regular voltage fluctuations, industrial work noise like welding, etc.
  4. What kind of weather do they live in - dry or high moisture?
  5. Are speakers demanding for power?
  6. Do you play at high volumes constantly for long periods?
  7. What kind of receiver- low end, mid range, high end? Use a low end receiver with demanding speakers, is inviting trouble.

With this extensive info i feel we can be in a better situation to assess the potential root cause of problems. I suspect, it is not just a case of average life being ~3 years. I know multiple folks for whom it has lasted much longer.
I have had couple of dealers in BLR tell me, with a servo they have faced zero issues! Otherwise, they have had issues.

Last edited:
My Pioneer 1020K bought from USA runs on a step down transformer..I live in a house with no AC and no dedicated HT room....meaning windows are open 24 hours plus I live in a ground floor house with a large garden...so plenty of vehicular pollution and dust pollution all the time...Never cared to clean them except maybe once a year for Diwali or some other festival. On top of my receiver which has grill for ventilation, I keep Tata sky box or front speaker!!

With all this abuse and say an average daily use of 3 hours...it has lasted 10 plus years and still going strong. Bought the 1700 only for Atmos which I still am yet to experience. My nephew will come in a week or two and we will fix the ceiling speakers.

Right now although I have connected all 7 speakers...when I play Atmos or even True HD downloaded movies....havent seen the display show atmos even once or even true HD. Have to spend more time on the manual..Currently I click on movie on remote and choose 7.1 which I guess is a forceful 7.1 rather than natural 7.1

Hopefully I will have it figured out in the next one month. My Pioneer I remember to be plug and play....although the remote is not working for many years....at least DTS it used to display whenever I played DTS files. the 1700 seems to display DTS ok...not really sure what's up with Atmos and 7.1 Dolby

I use Kodi where I have enabled all options in audio settings including passthrough. When I have multiple audio tracks in the MKV folder...I toggle and even when I choose True HD or atmos I dont see it on the display. Since all the seven speakers are on the ground...cant make out much except sound is coming in all seven of them. Only when I have two in the ceiling can I tell is the Atmos part is working properly or not.

So I have set the input as AUTO on the remote..the yellow button at the bottom and I have selected 7.1 under MOVIE GREEN button and it displays "M IN 7.1 Mplayer". So my understanding is that since I am manually choosing the 7.1 option under Movie..I am using the artificial processing on the AVR rather than using the natually encoded 7.1 audio from the source file. Am I correct in assuming this? Also shouldnt I see Dolby Atmos or TrueHD instead of M in 7.1??

some of the file names of the download media files
TGM_TLR_1_1080p_DTS-HD_MA_51_AC3_51-thedigitaltheater
IndianaJones5_TLR-1_3840x1608_HEVC_444_10bit_DTS-HD_MA_AC3_51-thedigitaltheater
Blade.Runner.2049.2017.PROPER.2160p.US.BluRay.REMUX.HEVC.DTS-HD.MA.TrueHD.7.1.Atmos-FGT
Mission.Impossible.Dead.Reckoning.Part.One.2023.1080p.BluRay.H264-RiSEHD[TGx]
Sound of Metal.2021.1080p.Bluray.DTS-HD.MA.5.1.X264-EVO[TGx]
Gravity.2013.INTERNAL.UHD.DYNAMIC.HDR-X.TrueHD.Atmos.7.1-TEKNO3D
Avatar.The.Way.of.Water.2022.2160p.UHD.Bluray.REMUX.HDR10.HEVC.TrueHD.Atmos.7.1-GHD[TGx]
Mad.Max.Fury.Road.2015.2160p.UHD.BluRay.X265-IAMABLE
The.Dark.Knight.2008.2160p.UHD.BluRay.X265-IAMABLE
Top.Gun.Maverick.2022.IMAX.1080p.Bluray.Atmos.TrueHD.7.1.x264-EVO[TGx]

Need to figure out this ATmos and true HD display issue soon.

Just to clarify...I have subscription to all major OTT platforms...but I prefer to play downloaded files and not rely on internet plus the compressed audio tracks on OTT.

I just hope all of my above questions is due to my ignorance and not because of any issues with the AVR...

And lastly....I used to have 100+ movies saved as I thought someday the pirate sites will disappear...now what they seem to be around forever..I went ahead and deleted all of them except few as listed above. So I click on the left menu of Kodi and say UPDATE LIBRARY. for some reason all the deleted movie names still appear...Tried this many times....any idea why? Its a pain scrolling through hundreds of names..when I only have ten movies left in the folder

Last edited:
Hi All

I am kind of bored of listening to playlists on different streaming apps and want old school radio with DJs talking nonsense, advertisements and all....Using Tunein Radio on mobile costs me money...but fortunately ..they seem to have an arrangement with Denon..so I am able to play few stations on the HEOS app. However there are some stations which are displayed but not available to play...like Ryan Seacrests weekly top 40 countdown...guessing this is due to country restrictions.

Any idea how I can use some free VPN and make Denon/Heos think I am in USA or Europe?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back