Devastator 21" Subwoofer .

Baljinder

Hi to all

I am new here in Hifi Vision but I would like to introduce you the most powerfull subwoofer I learned building called as Devastator Subwoofer with a 21" Pro driver. You can YouTube regarding Devastator Subwoofer and you can realise what I am in.

This this the most high end subwoofer . It can beat 20 Lakh professional Subwoofer or any other pro subwoofer available in India tunned to 22 Hz it can play single digits in small Room and is able to play upto 130 DB. It can shake whole house without proper room Acoustics.

NO one has ever built this in India and i have come here after doing all the homework.

Thanks for all reading this. A true Audio Enthusiast will understand the message.

Last edited:
YouTubed.
but, I may be left with on 19hz, all others may go missing.

Surely, this are for Sound and Audio enthusiast , .... may not be for audiophiles.

The devastator is not impressive. There are many commercially available pro subwoofers that will go louder and sound better (and they don't cost 20 lakh). Few will be tuned as low or lower since pro sound doesn't usually require extension outside the cinema segment. These will typically be ported. The devastator is a bandpass.

A little history, the devastator was born as a simple and cheap alternative to Ricci's own bandpass designs which he popularized after measuring them. It was never meant to be the best, nor is it. It is meant to be easy to build and cheap to allow for cheaper drivers than what Ricci used but one can, if they wish, use the "big boy" drivers (in American parlance). The design can be seen to be simple, especially it's front "horn", which looks to be an afterthought on a ported box just to make it a bandpass and gain some output on the top end. If one seeks proper sensitivity gains in the upper registers it is recommended to build a FLH instead IMO. The devastator is a one box solution that's meant to be cheap. Proper bass is done in a 2 way setup, segregating by power limited (above 40Hz) and displacement limited (below 40Hz).

Bandpass subs were never popular on AVS before Ricci made and measured them, AVS does have a sheep mentality.

AVS is where fools go to learn from more experienced fools. This is my opinion.

If you still wish to build this, then have at it.

Devastator is not a easily build , if though lot of people would have build this. Its all for fun only those who will build and listen will realise what is a Devastator. Its a very Hard Hitting Mid Bass Machine calibrated with external DSP . Its both for movies and music. Morover what a 21" pro driver can do cannot be done by other 12 to 18 Inch Drivers can perform. I would love to know the opinion of all my fellow friends. Devastators have number of Designs. I learned all of them and finalised the one which I am building at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is an easy build, clearly you have no experience or exposure to complicated DIY builds. It's even noted on AVS multiple times that it was designed as an easy and cheaper alternative to Ricci's designs. You want something better that is DIY then go build the SKHorn, which is better but better options exist. The SK fills a niche. A 21" driver is nothing special, mms matters for sound, AVS will tell you otherwise. Not to mention you can make up vd by multiple smaller/less excursion drivers. If after this you wish to believe the devastator is something good, your welcome to your delusion. The devastator was built following Ricci's design as I mentioned, the primary design goal of such designs is to get some upper bass tactile feel with pro audio drivers ( lacking in home audio/car audio drivers) while extending their low end capacity via a large ported volume to make them usable for both movies and music as a one box solution if people are willing to compromise with extension to 15-30Hz. Ricci's design have variable tuning with port plugging for this purpose and was designed as such. Even today many people on AVS favor the traditional sealed/ported alignments for low bass capacity and compromise on the upper bass. Since you visit AVS you must be aware of the popular drivers there, one reason pro drivers have gained popularity there is that they have increased xmax from before, Ricci has tested them in baseline sealed enclosures and there is a general lack of high quality high xmax drivers last I checked. The devastator is not impressive. If you want impressive, go research pro audio companies. If you want DIY, go to diyaudio learn hornresp/akabak.

I am using LAVOCE driver and the enclosure is designed in HornResp . I can afford upto 21" driver so going with Devastator . I can build Full Marty or Mini Mary but I am more interested in Devastator as its a subwoofer with a port and a horn. The X max of the driver is 15.5 MM but a 21 " can move a lot of air that too very fast and it Hits a lot in mid bass which is the reason of my Interest.My enclosure is designed to 22 Hz with no extension. But it can go low with room gain or if the room is small. I am using mini DSP 2x4 HD to control my subs and EQ. Even Art clean box pro for signal matching. I was thinking of appreciation from forum members that one of our brother came with something new to this forum but happy with all of your replies. Thanks to all.

The devastator is not impressive. There are many commercially available pro subwoofers that will go louder and sound better (and they don't cost 20 lakh). Few will be tuned as low or lower since pro sound doesn't usually require extension outside the cinema segment. These will typically be ported. The devastator is a bandpass.

A little history, the devastator was born as a simple and cheap alternative to Ricci's own bandpass designs which he popularized after measuring them. It was never meant to be the best, nor is it. It is meant to be easy to build and cheap to allow for cheaper drivers than what Ricci used but one can, if they wish, use the "big boy" drivers (in American parlance). The design can be seen to be simple, especially it's front "horn", which looks to be an afterthought on a ported box just to make it a bandpass and gain some output on the top end. If one seeks proper sensitivity gains in the upper registers it is recommended to build a FLH instead IMO. The devastator is a one box solution that's meant to be cheap. Proper bass is done in a 2 way setup, segregating by power limited (above 40Hz) and displacement limited (below 40Hz).

Bandpass subs were never popular on AVS before Ricci made and measured them, AVS does have a sheep mentality.

AVS is where fools go to learn from more experienced fools. This is my opinion.

If you still wish to build this, then have at it.
Could you tell me the most beautiful sub build in India which is very popular among audio Enthusiasts.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back