DICK SMITH DSE AE2922 FS Speakers

denom

Banned
Banned
Finally after much pestering & goading by the recent owner of these speakers, read that as FM Sean Dsilva, am putting this review across to satisfy his curiosity & that of others who would want to know how good these speakers are, since finding New (Imported - China made but of course:cool:) Floor Standing speakers being sold for 8k is pretty much unheard of these days.

Ever since Sean got these speakers home, he has been after me to come over & listen to them. He probably wanted me to validate his decision of buying these for 8K & that too he did so after he auditioned them twice & kept pestering me to decide for himself :p

Last Saturday, I finally found time to go over to his place & give them a listen.

Besides the Speakers foll was his set-up :

Source - Pioneer DV300 DVDP

AMP - Norge 2060 Integrated with Remote:p

CABLES & IC'S - Generic

Straight off I found a couple of issues:-

Sean had placed his speakers poles apart, literally!!! This said with respect to his listening seat, as 1 got the impression of listening only to a single speaker, the other not only not visible, partly due to being so far away & also due to the fact that his computer work station was blocking it completely.

1st thing I requested Sean to do is to bring the lonely & neglected LH speaker:cool: towards prominence by shifting it closer to his seating area & away from any furniture blocking it. Hmm, instantly we were in the land of 2 Channel Stereo:clapping: Couple of tabla heavy tracks were being played post change of position of the 'neglected' speaker & now I found another issue, that being the bass boom, due to the fact that the Bass Port is at the rear side & his speakers were almost kissing the back walls. Since he has no space to bring them forward atleast a foot away from the walls, I requested Sean to see if he has any pieces of foam lying in his house. Luckily he had a sheet of 1&1/2 Inch Foam which I quickly cut as required & stuffed them into the ports. Thankfully the boom was now gone & I could enjoy the music now.

Played a lot of tracks, starting from Indian, Bolly & Classical - then headed towards main stream english pop/rock/hard rock & assorted metal. In between Sean played a couple of tracks of his kind of music (read as '80s R&B) This went on for a good 3 hours & by which time I got more than sufficient idea of how the Dick Smith's on the whole are.

Couple of things to note:
The Speakers must have been 'burned - in' for about 15 odd hours as per Sean Estimate, prior to my listening session.
Volume of the Norge amp was between 11 & 12 O'clock during entire session.
Music was sufficiently loud atleast for me, dunno about Sean:rolleyes:
His poor dad was a 'prisoner' in his room & am sure must have been wondering what in the name of Jesus was being played in his hall:cool:
Sean was watching his speaker drivers vibrate & at times put himself in the firing zone(read as stuck near either of the speakers:p)

Now for the business part of this review:

What I liked:
Composed sound with no driver distortion associated with cheap speakers.
Nice Lows post port stuffing with foam, decent Mids
Price:licklips:
Huge Cabs & nice appearance

What I did not like:
Highs little iffy.
Tweeters sounded like they were the weakest part of the speaker, may be they need more burn-in.
Pretty Light Weight, could lift the speaker with ease.
Gaudy colour of the Mid Range Driver (Klipschesque but bad:mad:)

Yes, you cannot expect to get lot of details especially with tracks having lot of complex instruments placements & such, but then what can you expect from speakers costing 8k???

Overall, I found that the speakers would be nice for people liking certain genre's of music such as Pop, Rock, R&B, Jazz, Soul, Rap etc.

Bottom line, the speakers are a nice find when one keeps the price in mind:) I need to listen to these again after they've being played for more than 100 + hours, especially since I found the tweeters sounding pretty rough.

There you have it Sean, Hope you are happy now :p

u cud arrange a classic blind on this one.

since a lot of what people perceive seems to be based on price and the 'made in china' tag, other than the bling value, colour, etc., would be nice to learn what people have to say if these two aspects are kept dark.

congratulations sean!

u cud arrange a classic blind on this one.

since a lot of what people perceive seems to be based on price and the 'made in china' tag, other than the bling value, colour, etc., would be nice to learn what people have to say if these two aspects are kept dark.

congratulations sean!

thanks hifiashok..all who are interested in listening to them get in touch ...

+1 to what hifiAshok says. However going by denom's description,such a big floorstand seems to be overkill for the room. Probably room played important part in forming denom's opinion. In addition the other components in the chain also matter in final sound.

He probably wanted me to validate his decision of buying these for 8K

The fact that these lovely looking Floor standers are available for Rs. 8k for a pair itself justifies the cost, why we need to audition them :D :D
6290521786_ee5679f767_z.jpg

I would not mind keeping them as a show case item for its price.
But if its also performing well..... wow that would be certainly amazing!! Congrats Sean and thanks Denom for the nice review.

Moral of the story: please always add pictures to accompany any reviews. :eek:hyeah:

Hello guys...I just got registered. Got across the site looking for some info on DSE speakers, and saw that there is some interest among you for them. If you would let me, I will express my opinion about DSE speakers...

I bought a pair of DSE A3009 from a local op-shop, they are the ones with silver cones. Initialy I didn't want them, because of the look and sticker "Made in China" on the back. But then curiosity overcomed my logic... So as soon as I got home, I hooked them up to my Marantz PM-710 ( not a great amp, but useful) and turned the volume up... what a disapointment! That "powerful bass" that I saw written in some reviews is nithing more then a boomy noise. My first thought was - I could have spent $50 on a good lunch and desert.

But as I said before, I bought them from curiosity, so I decied to to give them more in-depth look. So I opened up the box and look at the speaker drivers...

Woofers are tw 4 Ohms units wired in series, to give us 8 Ohms. I thought they were made from plastic, but no, they are paper, which is good. I was wondering about boominess, so I did some measurements; I found that Qe of the driver is 1.6, meaning they will produce significant peak in the region from 80 to 150Hz when in the box. Cheap trick from greedy manufactureres to sell us box with "good bass". Another problem is that woofers have no attached crossover elements to them. That means they are alowed to go as far up the frequency scale as they can...and because of relatively veak magnet they can't go very high anyway, so missing mid range frequencies are aditionaly making the sound feel boomy. And other frequences, above say 500Hz, are further degrading the woofer's fidelity.

Midrange cone is sealed in a steel basket. Not very goo idea, but even though, thay haven't used it's all possibilities. To sell you the cheapest speaker ( and Dick Smith to make easy profit - ah, isn't it all about profit today?) only one element was used as mid crossover - capacitor. But as First Order crossover's cut rate is only -3dB, they had to go very high to protect voice coil from burning out. So 3.3uF capacitor was used; it's -3dB point is at around 10KHz and at 700Hz (where you would expect midrange to be crossed in a three way system) it is down whooping -21dB!! No wonder we are missing the beauty of tone, and can only enjoy in BOOM, BOOM...

Tweeter suffers from the same problem - cheep, cheep... Again, by using only a capacitor (this time 2.2uF), -3dB cut-off point is at around 11KHz!! Again, at around 4KHz, where cut-off point would be in a three way system, it is down -10dB. With that aproach to speaker design, dont expect to hear instruments like Cymbals, Piccolo, actualy sections of most instruments, including human voice.Tweeter actualy has another piculariety; it is made of cloth, but then sealed with some kind of lacquer or something, that makes it feel like plastic (mylar). I think it was done to give it look of aluminium (same with other cones).

So, is there anything we can do to improve the sound? Yes! Buy yourself a decent Second Order (12dB / Octave) crossover. Low crossing point at 500 - 700Hz, high crossing point at 4000 - 5000Hz. You can buy it from Jaycar, but they are expencive there. A pair will set you back $80. Still it is much less then buying a new set of speakers, while getting same or even better results. And if you are a DIY guy, experience is priceless. Another option is WES Components. A pair will be about $36, plu postage (about$10). Their telephone is (02) 9797 9866. Part number is XN150. Also this one has high crosing point at 4000Hz, which I prefere to Jaycar's 3500Hz.

There are few other modifications which can bring your speakers to perfection. They inwolve use of some basic tools, not a big deal for a DIY handyman, and patience. If there is interest, I can describe them. Regards Tomo....
[email protected]

Just got my Dick Smith floorstanders damped today. Took them over to Farhan Boatwalla at Rustom Baug, Byculla and he stuffed the hollow cabinet of the three 8inch woofers with some special acoustic damping material .

Post - damping, i feel as though i'm listening to different speakers now!!!a totally awesome experience pre and post modifications! :yahoo:

no bass boom, no reverberations, no resonance, tight clean bass, well seperated mids and highs and a warm neutral overall soundstage.

The fact that these lovely looking Floor standers are available for Rs. 8k for a pair itself justifies the cost, why we need to audition them :D :D
6290521786_ee5679f767_z.jpg

I would not mind keeping them as a show case item for its price.
But if its also performing well..... wow that would be certainly amazing!! Congrats Sean and thanks Denom for the nice review.

i have the same 5.1 system dse awsome clearity.

Thanks Denom for the review!

Just got my Dick Smith floorstanders damped today. Took them over to Farhan Boatwalla at Rustom Baug, Byculla and he stuffed the hollow cabinet of the three 8inch woofers with some special acoustic damping material.

Hi Sean,

I'm extremely intrigued by the price proposition of these speakers. How much did the dampening cost you? And how significant is the difference in sound before and after?

More queries:
From where did you source these floorstanders? Are they still available? If so, can you pass on the contact details? Thanks :)

Thanks Denom for the review!

Hi Sean,

I'm extremely intrigued by the price proposition of these speakers. How much did the dampening cost you? And how significant is the difference in sound before and after?

More queries:
From where did you source these floorstanders? Are they still available? If so, can you pass on the contact details? Thanks :)

Hi Sam,

Your welcome! AFAIK, Sean picked the speakers from a dealer who posted on quickr/olx & had only 1 pair with him. Sean took a gamble, bought 'em & the rest is all history :D

Hi Sam,

Your welcome! AFAIK, Sean picked the speakers from a dealer who posted on quickr/olx & had only 1 pair with him. Sean took a gamble, bought 'em & the rest is all history :D
Thanks again denom,

Too bad there was only one pair. Would have really liked to see those towers placed in a secondary room. Are you aware of any dealers who might help procure these?

Hi Sam,

well said Dave! ;) the rest is history indeed....what gets me jumpin up and down is the performance pre and post damping!

btw youre still coming over for a second review right??? :rolleyes:

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back