Diff between BASH and Class D Amps - Subs

micjak77

hi There,

Can anyone educate me in simple terms what the difference between a BASH and Class D Amp is?

Should this be a consideration when purchasing sub?

I was generally researching and figured that SVS PB Ultra 13 uses BASH Amp and Paradigm DSP 3400 ( I have been planning to purchase this) uses Class D Amp. I am wondering what difference would this make in making the sub perform better.

Any insight would be highly appreciated.

In simple terms, BASH is a hybrid of class AB and D. class AB is very good in fidelity but not efficient in terms of heat dissipation. D is the converse and has great efficiency (needs little power to perform) while its fidelity is not that big comparitively. BASH is a hybrid that takes the best of both worlds and is an amp that has great fidelity while also being very efficient.

For a bit more detail read below.

Class AB works on the principle of linerity and class D is based on a switched mode.

Basic Background:

All amplifiers work on the principle of having an input stage where the signal is fed and an output stage where the signal comes out and a gain stage that 'amplifies' the input.

The input and output stages uses transistors of some sort.

Signals come in the form of audio waves. Assume an imaginary line that cuts through the sine curve with the curve above as positive and below is negative.

Class A amp:

Uses the same set of transistors for the input and output stages so the distortion is very low but is very inefficient as the input and output stages are workign all the time even when there is no signal. So such amps tend to get very hot when in use or not. But they give the best signal output or fidelity.

Class B:

Use a complemenatary pair of transistors to represent the positive and negative parts of the signal curve. This makes is more efficient than A as the output transistors work for only half the time when a signal is flowing. If there is no signal then the output transistors do nto operate at all. So the heat dissipation is lower but some distortion is introduced due to switching.

Class AB:

Class AB is the best of both worlds. It eliminates distortion of B type by always passing a very small amount of current like A but is not as inefficient. However it is also much efficient as it uses the complementary pair of transistors to output the signal instead of only one. In essence it behaves like an A at very low input levels and like B at higher input levels.

The inefficiencies of above designs are due to the fact that there are voltage differences between the output transistors and current that flows through them. This difference causes heat to be produced (basic physics principle). Heat will not be produced when there is no such voltage difference

Class D:

Class D works like an electric switch. The output transistors are simultaneouly switched on and off while ensuring that there is no voltage difference between them when current (signal) is flowing. This makes it very efficient. When no signal is passing through the transistors are completely switched off.

--- After the somewhat semi technical gyan, between your choices, I think you are not comparing the right subs here. The paradigm is a closer match to PB10 NSD as they are both rated at 300 watts RMS. They are both good and the paradigm may slightly perform better than the SVS PB10 due to its larger drivers ability to push more air but it may not be very discernable.

PB13 ultra will kill both subs in no time. Even a PB12 will walk all over them even in larger rooms.

hi There,

Can anyone educate me in simple terms what the difference between a BASH and Class D Amp is?

Should this be a consideration when purchasing sub?

I was generally researching and figured that SVS PB Ultra 13 uses BASH Amp and Paradigm DSP 3400 ( I have been planning to purchase this) uses Class D Amp. I am wondering what difference would this make in making the sub perform better.

Any insight would be highly appreciated.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back