Difference between elliptical and conical tip stylus.

yezdian

Hello to all vinyl lovers of HiFi vision . Can the vinyl gurus of this forum educate me on the difference between the two types of stylus tips ..

Super Post by the guru of vinyl,

Please educate us which are the best available MM and MC cartridges,

whhat type of cartridges are

Denon dl - 110 and Shure M97xE, i was planing to order them

Also please suggest any tips to fix the popup sound, surface noise etc

Regards

Tanoj

Super Post by the guru of vinyl,

Please educate us which are the best available MM and MC cartridges,

whhat type of cartridges are

Denon dl - 110 and Shure M97xE, i was planing to order them

Also please suggest any tips to fix the popup sound, surface noise etc

Regards

Tanoj
Hi Tanoj
Which TT are you using.Does it has a low/medium/high mass tonearm.If your TT is having low to medium mass you should buy high compliance cartridges.For higher mass tonearm low compliance cartridges are recommended.
If there are no compliance specifications you should look at the recomended tracking force (VTF)

A high compliance cartridge will have its suggested VTF below 1.5g and vice versa.
Shure M97xe is very versatile.It has a dynamic stabiliser brush so itcan be used with all kind of tonearms.
THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND...

For a cartridge to give its best possible performance it needs:
1) Good arm matching
2) Good loading / phono stage matching

For the Ortofon, AT, Shure, you need to get the capacitance right ...
The Ortofon requires around 400pf, the AT around 150pf, and the Shure around 250pf.

Assuming your TT has between 100f and 150pf (150 is more likely) - you add to it whatever load is built into your phono stage, and you will know what your total Capacitive load is. - Choose the one that is closest to your load! (some phono stages have adjustable load, and with loading plugs you can adjust C upwards, but you cannot easily adjust it down)

The Grado's are not sensitive to capacitance - which makes life easier - but they sound better with a Resistive load of around 15k Ohm rather than the standard 47k Ohm (difference is very subtle... so not to be stressed about, but another tweak that can be implemented)

All the cartridges improve with optimised loading - both capacitive and resistive.A good phono stage should have Res loading.That is the reason I have suggested you DIY CNC phono.I hope it helps.

Regards,
Sachin

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back