Digital coax cable to connect from streamer to Marantz PM 6007

sand87ch

I have ordered a Marantz PM-6007 which should be arriving soon. I needed to connect it to a streamer via the coax for music mainly.

What cable should i go for for good sound?

You can try with a normal rca cable aswell.
And then search for better coax cables.

You can try with a normal rca cable aswell.
And then search for better coax cables.
i just wanted to buy it any ways.

My set up plan is to have a network streamer from where i want to add the coax to the Marantz PM-6007.

1.Which cable do I need? Dig or analog coax cables. Please note I intend to bypass the streamer dac if any.

2.If dig coax i have seenthe othello,klotz and mogami 2964 on hifimart.Any more i should look into?these cables are in my budget

i just wanted to buy it any ways.

My set up plan is to have a network streamer from where i want to add the coax to the Marantz PM-6007.

1.Which cable do I need? Dig or analog coax cables. Please note I intend to bypass the streamer dac if any.

2.If dig coax i have seenthe othello,klotz and mogami 2964 on hifimart.Any more i should look into?these cables are in my budget
1. For coax if being used to transfer "digital" signal 75ohm cable is recommended.
2. You can also consider MPS-M75 coax cable as well.

Hope this helps.

My streamer does not have optical. Further, optical limits at 96 KHz.
That's a misconception I was having too.
That depends on the Cable, Good Optical Cable can do HiRes Easily, in fact upto 2xDSD can be transmitted via optical. Depends on the Source and DAC ; for eg. Denafrips DACs accept upto 1x dsd via both Coaxial and Optical inputs, the source in my case ( CA Cxn v2) does 1xDsd out via optical. Good Optical Cable like Lifeatec are good at it, I found Cheaper MX Optical Cable able to do HiRes via Optical Effortlessly.

That depends on the Cable, Good Optical Cable can do HiRes Easily, in fact upto 2xDSD can be transmitted via optical. Depends on the Source and DAC ; for eg. Denafrips DACs accept upto 1x dsd via both Coaxial and Optical inputs, the source in my case ( CA Cxn v2) does 1xDsd out via optical. Good Optical Cable like Lifeatec are good at it, I found Cheaper MX Optical Cable able to do HiRes via Optical Effortlessly.
I had no idea! thank you for letting me know. On those lines, should we not always prefer optical over coax for obvious reasons of noise etc...?

I had no idea! thank you for letting me know. On those lines, should we not always prefer optical over coax for obvious reasons of noise etc...?
Electrical noise and jitter are two different though related aspects. Optical SPDIF is more susceptible to jitter than coax SPDIF as the former has slower rise times. But optical is less susceptible to electrical interference. So, it depends on how well the DAC is capable of handling or rejecting jitter. Most DAC don't perform this well in this regard. Long story short, I would recommend a good quality coax digital SPDIF over optical unless you know that your DAC excels at handling jitter. Same goes for USB vs Coax SPDIF.

With respect to bandwidth, optical toslink can do theoretically 8 channels of 24/48 ie up to 24/192. But I believe there is something in SPDIF toslink spec that limits official support to 24/96 though now there are a lot of DACs that support up to 24/192 over optical SPDIF as well.

I don't think either optical or coax SPDIF can do higher than 24/192 as per spec. Something to do with lack of copy protection which is also the reason why SACD can't send DSD over coax/optical SPDIF and can do it over only over analog. If DACs are playing back DSD64, DSD256 or higher over coax/optical, then it must be DSD over PCM (DoP) ie DSD in a PCM envelope or down-sampled PCM and not native DSD. With DoP, DSD64 becomes 176.4 PCM and DSD128 becomes 352.8 PCM and so on and it is unwrapped on the other end to get the corresponding DSD file. But both source and DAC need to support DoP.

Can you suggest good quality USB cable to connect laptop with DAC USB input ?

I use Lifatec Optical and Nordost Silver Shadow coaxial. I find the optical does a better job with clarity/detail. It’s the only optical I have been satisfied with - found most others (cheaper ones) too strident. However I prefer the coaxial for emotional music (esp Hindi films, ghazals, country, blues) - it sounds more organic/flowing probably due to slightly slower decay. I switch to the optical for more technical music - fusion, new age etc which needs better precision. Guess the choice depends on how and what we listen. I am happy with both these.

Electrical noise and jitter are two different though related aspects. Optical SPDIF is more susceptible to jitter than coax SPDIF as the former has slower rise times. But optical is less susceptible to electrical interference. So, it depends on how well the DAC is capable of handling or rejecting jitter. Most DAC don't perform this well in this regard. Long story short, I would recommend a good quality coax digital SPDIF over optical unless you know that your DAC excels at handling jitter. Same goes for USB vs Coax SPDIF.

With respect to bandwidth, optical toslink can do theoretically 8 channels of 24/48 ie up to 24/192. But I believe there is something in SPDIF toslink spec that limits official support to 24/96 though now there are a lot of DACs that support up to 24/192 over optical SPDIF as well.

I don't think either optical or coax SPDIF can do higher than 24/192 as per spec. Something to do with lack of copy protection which is also the reason why SACD can't send DSD over coax/optical SPDIF and can do it over only over analog. If DACs are playing back DSD64, DSD256 or higher over coax/optical, then it must be DSD over PCM (DoP) ie DSD in a PCM envelope or down-sampled PCM and not native DSD. With DoP, DSD64 becomes 176.4 PCM and DSD128 becomes 352.8 PCM and so on and it is unwrapped on the other end to get the corresponding DSD file. But both source and DAC need to support DoP.
This is exactly my understanding minus the toslink's ability to do 24/192 instead of 24/96. I also fundamentally believe that I would be good with 16/44 for a long time and do not need to chase the elusive hi-res tail. I ditched toslink primarily because my streamer does not have one(!) and coax sounded better in my setup for reasons already explained by you.

This is exactly my understanding minus the toslink's ability to do 24/192 instead of 24/96. I also fundamentally believe that I would be good with 16/44 for a long time and do not need to chase the elusive hi-res tail. I ditched toslink primarily because my streamer does not have one(!) and coax sounded better in my setup for reasons already explained by you.
Yes. I agree completely about 16/44. In the entry-level systems, I own or have experienced, it requires focused critical listening to observe the differences between 16/44 or 24/192. I don't think I would be able to make out the differences in a blind session especially with music recorded after 90s with poor dynamic range. DSD is a different matter though.

My experience of coax vs optical has been similar. In most sub-1K DACs I have heard, coax trounces optical by a significant margin even when carefully level-matched and blind-tested. Maybe more expensive DACs at $3K/4K do optical as well as Coax or better but I don't play at that level.

In my experience the order of increase in sq is in the following order

AES/Coaxial better than Optical and
Optical significantly better than USB

This is using a very decent DDC on 3 DACs I own.

DSD 64 is played natively on Coaxial but higher ones need DoP or a similar conversion.

A well recorded 44.1 is as good as any hi res version I have heard, so atleast for me Hi Res is not something I chase especially if I can get a decent enough 44.1 recording.

Back