Digital only sound cards?

BLASTO

Hi Guys,

Are there any digitial interface only sound cards available?

In quest to find a suitable digital source to M1 DAC, I tried sachin's Juli@ digital output and it is better than any interface I tried (mostly digital out of CD players).

If I get an analog sound card and use only the digital section, I will be paying for all the wrong things..

So wondering exists sound cards which specialize in digital output which would match/surpass Juli@.

For the record, the Async USB input of M1 DAC is 2 steps inferior to coaxial input connected to Juli@. Earlier I have tried using the Async USB and dropped the plan. Now it Is revived after checking out Juli@.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Ahh so this is why..

Hmm, well I've used the analog output of d2x and digital as well. There was not much difference on the d2x. If the xonar stx follows the same rules, it should be the same as well. The STX I've found that the sound is a little bit leaner than say a cd player but it's quite high value for money considering the cd player was 3 times more expensive.

Hi Guys,

If I get an analog sound card and use only the digital section, I will be paying for all the wrong things..

So wondering exists sound cards which specialize in digital output which would match/surpass Juli@.

Thanks,

You can use the digital only section of the card and not plug in the analog part of the Juli@. But you will have to buy the entire card.

Ahh so this is why..

Hmm, well I've used the analog output of d2x and digital as well. There was not much difference on the d2x. If the xonar stx follows the same rules, it should be the same as well. The STX I've found that the sound is a little bit leaner than say a cd player but it's quite high value for money considering the cd player was 3 times more expensive.

Thats because the xonar uses a single crystal and PLL to derive both 44.1 and 96/192 hz whereas the Juli@ uses two separate crystals for them.

Hi Guys,

In quest to find a suitable digital source to M1 DAC, I tried sachin's Juli@ digital output and it is better than any interface I tried (mostly digital out of CD players).
For the record, the Async USB input of M1 DAC is 2 steps inferior to coaxial input connected to Juli@. Earlier I have tried using the Async USB and dropped the plan. Now it Is revived after checking out Juli@.

Thanks,
Proof that audiophile neuroses are justified at last :eek:hyeah:

--G0bble

Thats because the xonar uses a single crystal and PLL to derive both 44.1 and 96/192 hz whereas the Juli@ uses two separate crystals for them.

Proof that audiophile neuroses are justified at last :eek:hyeah:

--G0bble

Are you speaking in regards to the sound being the same on analog and digital or the sound being lean?

and..audiophile neurosis? what do you mean?

Plenty, I think --- but you will still be paying for stuff you don't need, because, with products like those from RME, etc, you'll be getting pro studio stuff that we have no need of in domestic hifi. I think Lynx have digital-only too, and another German make I'm trying to remember the name.... Oh! Marian.

Just how different is digital output going to get? Unless you move into the realms of synchronising clocks and stuff, which is far further than I have ever gone, I have doubts that the expensive studio gear would give you an equivalent increase in digital out put quality --- although I'd be expecting better DACs/ADCs if I was a customer of those companies.

I stess the word doubt. I don't know, I haven't been there.

The Juli@ is widely respected. It will give you the choice, in the future, of analogue connections (balanced or unbalanced too!): it's likely to be a good investment for this and future or other systems.

I agree with the philosophy of ceoncentrating the spend on the things that you want, and not diluting with stuff that you don't want. You can find studio-quality cards that do digital only, but instead of paying for the unwanted analogue. you are paying for the potential of lots of i/o channels. It is hard to find a simple 2-in/2-out stereo card

Last edited:
Plenty, I think --- but you will still be paying for stuff you don't need, because, with products like those from RME, etc, you'll be getting pro studio stuff that we have no need of in domestic hifi. I think Lynx have digital-only too, and another German make I'm trying to remember the name.... Oh! Marian.

Just how different is digital output going to get? Unless you move into the realms of synchronising clocks and stuff, which is far further than I have ever gone, I have doubts that the expensive studio gear would give you an equivalent increase in digital out put quality --- although I'd be expecting better DACs/ADCs if I was a customer of those companies.

I stess the word doubt. I don't know, I haven't been there.

The Juli@ is widely respected. It will give you the choice, in the future, of analogue connections (balanced or unbalanced too!): it's likely to be a good investment for this and future or other systems.

I agree with the philosophy of ceoncentrating the spend on the things that you want, and not diluting with stuff that you don't want. You can find studio-quality cards that do digital only, but instead of paying for the unwanted analogue. you are paying for the potential of lots of i/o channels. It is hard to find a simple 2-in/2-out stereo card

Thanks a lot..
There seem to be all round belief that digital input is SAME from any source..
From what I have heard from 6 different sources (2 CDPs, 2 USB outs, onboard optical and Juli@). I can safely say that it cannot be more farther from truth..
Every input is different and range from ok to extraordinary given everything else (cables, DAC, other components) being same. I know this is madness since we are speaking bits out there in the wire but ears of two different persons cannot lie.
Looks like Juli@ then.

Check usb to spdif converters such as m2tech hiface, audiophilieo, musical fidelity v-link and the likes of such products.

There seem to be all round belief that digital input is SAME from any source...
Not necessairly --- else I would be suggesting that you put your wallet away and use digital out from your motherboard, if it has it.

What I am saying is... If there is a differnce, then how big are the steps in that difference?

1. Motherboard out from cheap onboard DAC
2. Domestic/Semi-Pro soundcard eg Julia@
3. Semi-pro eg RME, Marian, entry level
4. Pro, with word-clock sync and all that stuff.

The financial steps are pretty steep: is the payback worth it? That is the question. I'd love to own and play woth some of that kit, because, like many audiophiles/gadget lovers, if my pockets were deep I'd find spending easy. If you can afford, spend! :)

Looks like Juli@ then.
From what I have seen of others' experiences, I really think that this is a good compromise, with the emphasis on "good" :D

Back