Digital to Analogue converter

vakharia

Now, that I have a Panasonic Plasma (ST60) which has a decent sound output, I was wondering if I could connect my iBall wood speakers to the ST60.

iBall speakers: iBall Full Wood Speakers Tarang 2.1 | Buy Online India

Turns out, I may not be able to do so without buying a DAC (converter).

I looked at this product Amazon.com: Orei DA21 Optical SPDIF/Coaxial Digital to RCA L/R Analog Audio Converter with 3.5mm Jack Support Headphone/Speaker Outputs: Electronics and it does have a 3.5 mm audio jack output which is exactly what my speakers accept as input.

Do we have similar products in India?

I am not looking at buying an AVR or anything expensive now since I really don't need a HiFi system at the moment. My trusty old wood speakers are pretty good for the rips that I play on the TV.

Here is what the TV supports:
View attachment 10927

Last edited:
If you have bigger speakers the outs on the tv may not be able to drive them. You have to go the Avr route for amplification without buying a power amp.

Check if the TV has a line out or head phone out. If not present then buy optical to analog converter. 3.5mm out is not necessary. DAC with RCA out can be connected to the speakers using RCA to 3.5 mm adapter.

Check with pristine note - FiiO D03K Coaxial/Optical to R/L Audio convertor
Rs.1,670.00

Thanks. I have seen this FiiO product reviews on Amazon. Some say Orei has better sound quality though.
I will check if this is available and the pricing.

If you have bigger speakers the outs on the tv may not be able to drive them. You have to go the Avr route for amplification without buying a power amp.

Bigger speakers? How big is safe? The ones I have are around 40W combined.

Check if the TV has a line out or head phone out.
No such luck. Attaching an image with connector details.

View attachment 10931

Last edited:
Modern LED/Plasma TVs does not have the regular RCA or 3.5mm head phone outs only the optical/coaxial outs. Recently some months back I got the same Orei from amazon. It is a small nice product and does exactly as described. One thing I have noticed is that when I connect using the TV optical out the sound is distorted (yet to investigate whether the problem is with the optical cable) hence presently using the Videocon D2h box coaxial out to the converter and the sound is nice and clear. You can even go with the Fiio as well I think it does the same. I got the Orei as one of my friends was willing to get it from US otherwise was planning to use the Pristine note to book it.

Thanks

Before you take the Optical to Analogue route, can you check if your source can support L/R RCA outs? (Like your STB/DVD player). If the source is multiple you can use a 3 way RCA switcher with a single 2 RCA to stereo to connect to your multimedia speakers.

Before you take the Optical to Analogue route, can you check if your source can support L/R RCA outs? (Like your STB/DVD player). If the source is multiple you can use a 3 way RCA switcher with a single 2 RCA to stereo to connect to your multimedia speakers.

I have not understood what you have posted- I am not much familiar with audio connectivity.
Pleasee the connectors image that I have uploaded in a previous post in the same thread.

If your dvd or stb has LR outs then connect them to the speaker system directly. For connecting multiple devices you can use AV switch easily available in ebay.

Ok.
I don't have any DVD player.
Plus I need to connect speakers when watching movies via DLNA or via USB hard disk.
So, the STB is generally switched off during that period. I will still check if the STB has any LR outs out of curiosity.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back