Dilemma: Emotiva ERC-1 v. Oppo BDP-80

Actually I hope emotiva cdp should also get an upgrade to include usb/ hdd playback, or a digital input. Or maybe emotiva should jump into separate dac.

Just the HTPC, Anm. Built it today after a marathon 4 hour session. Touch wood, excepting for some placement issues, the machine ran like a slick oiled Ferrari the first time.

The sound machine is two months away because of lack of moolah.

Cheers

@suri - yeah after i read my own post even i was thining i should just pick up the emotiva. thanks. The PS3 i probably won't get. I am not much of a gamer.

@suprateep - thanks, i do think i'll tend towards the emotiva

@rallynut - that is a useful point, but i know i will definitely get blu-ray also soon. streaming and all will still be compressed at least for some time to come. i am finicky about video quality. i mean there's still no lossless streaming audio, so lossless streaming HD video is going to take some time!

@thekinge - hey man, thanks for the offer, but a lot of people have already 'booked' the one you're selling on your thread if i recall correctly. And in case I felt like the CD6003 my wife is still in singapore so i could just make a phone call....but it's the emotiva that attracts me :)

@gobble - t-shirts i don't know but mein kampf definitely. i've seen it everywhere. someone even gifted me a copy. ever since i was in school i've been seeing it everywhere.

@venkatcr - my budget is in the 15k range venkat, i don't think an HTPC will come in that. And anyway, i am not really one for getting my hands mess with a PC. I am much more of a 'pop the disc in and watch/listen' type.

@anm, i think 3D is a total gimmick. these days if a movie is in 3D i avoid it just for that reason. less bright, less contrasty, and much smaller picture, with irritating (almost always dirty) glasses, and unless they're chucking stuff at you, you forget the 3D part of things pretty soon and as in the case of Avatar......fall asleep.

@venkat and suri - ayndty sound spot on, but 'andy' is also common in souther kerala. malayalam is a language with many dialects you see.

@suri - yeah after i read my own post even i was thining i should just pick up the emotiva. thanks. The PS3 i probably won't get. I am not much of a gamer.

@rallynut - that is a useful point, but i know i will definitely get blu-ray also soon. streaming and all will still be compressed at least for some time to come. i am finicky about video quality. i mean there's still no lossless streaming audio, so lossless streaming HD video is going to take some time!

@thekinge - hey man, thanks for the offer, but a lot of people have already 'booked' the one you're selling on your thread if i recall correctly. And in case I felt like the CD6003 my wife is still in singapore so i could just make a phone call....but it's the emotiva that attracts me :)

@gobble - t-shirts i don't know but mein kampf definitely. i've seen it everywhere. someone even gifted me a copy. ever since i was in school i've been seeing it everywhere.

@venkatcr - my budget is in the 15k range venkat, i don't think an HTPC will come in that. And anyway, i am not really one for getting my hands mess with a PC. I am much more of a 'pop the disc in and watch/listen' type.

A true multi-tasker. We have an eight core forum member here :)

There is always a stray copy of Mein Kampf around ... never in the numbers like seen for a hot copy. But remember, in EU they are actively programmed to be averse to it through schooling and hence the book is hidden out of view :)

Cheers

Totally OT but I've seen at least 5 of my friends buying Mein Kampf just out of hype and never ever actually read the book completely. I even doubt that if they actually learn anything about Hitler from that book.

Totally OT but I've seen at least 5 of my friends buying Mein Kampf just out of hype and never ever actually read the book completely. I even doubt that if they actually learn anything about Hitler from that book.

I did enjoy reading the Rise and Fall of the 3rd Reich ... borrowed #@$@$@the book got taken away just when I was reaching Rommels assassination or something like that was being detailed :mad:

Cheers

Are you considering Squeezebox as an alternative?

If so, you can still get the Squeezebox Classic for $200 in the US from Amazon, which i think is a very good deal.

@suri - yeah after i read my own post even i was thining i should just pick up the emotiva.
@thekinge - but it's the emotiva that attracts me :)

so psychotropic will live with the emotiva-

and wifey will use the (unused) money to buy that quintessential souvenir from singapore - "flower dipped in real gold"

@psychotropic - you still have time to call wife and tell her not to buy "flower dipped in real gold"

But remember, in EU they are actively programmed to be averse to it through schooling and hence the book is hidden out of view

anywhere on the continent - that name (hitler) cannot be mentioned in polite company -

if one does, one must be prepared to lose friends and make enemies!

so psychotropic will live with the emotiva-

and wifey will use the (unused) money to buy that quintessential souvenir from singapore - "flower dipped in real gold"

@psychotropic - you still have time to call wife and tell her not to buy "flower dipped in real gold"

Sounds like a variation on potato or onion dipped in besan ... does the desire for this exotic piece of jewellery arise unconsciously from the kitchen? :eek:hyeah:

Cheers

To make an end to discussion about Oppo BD-80, why cant you make an trip to my house with your pet music cd's ...and test it as you like..

Regards

psychotropic, If it is going to help, I have ordered a Oppo BDP-83 for my friend in Dubai and is expected to be delivered by end of June. The DAC section in Oppo-83 and 80 are similar. I will be doing a shootout between the Emotiva & Oppo sometime in first or second week of July. If you can wait until then, you will have an easier decision to make:)

My two cents go for the Emotiva CD player.

The BDP 80 is an in between kind of player and you would be better off saving for buying the 83 or hope the prices would drop and get something better next year.

The 80 and 83 have a different DAC for stereo so it would make a difference if you are going for one.

In terms of DAC, the 83 uses the same DAC as the CA CD player and I think the audio quality would be in this order

Oppo bd80 < oppo 83 < marantz cd 6003 < emotiva (last only based on the shootout)

But probably the bigger question would be what would you want for the next year, better audio or better video?

psychotropic, If it is going to help, I have ordered a Oppo BDP-83 for my friend in Dubai and is expected to be delivered by end of June. The DAC section in Oppo-83 and 80 are similar. I will be doing a shootout between the Emotiva & Oppo sometime in first or second week of July. If you can wait until then, you will have an easier decision to make:)

Hi TheKinge,
Where you able to do this shootout between the Oppp-83 and Emotiva?

Hi TheKinge,
Where you able to do this shootout between the Oppp-83 and Emotiva?

I was going to, but then a couple of reasons for not doing so:

1. (50%) Am in the process of relocating to another country
2. (50%) My setup is a budget level setup and I use an AVR instead of stereo amp for listening to music. Although I am quite surprised and amused by the AVR vs. stereo amp argument without taking the specific AVR / stereo amp model's capabilities into reason, I don't find it worth putting in efforts to review and do a detailed write up when I know that it will end up being trashed simply because the shootout was done using an AVR.

So in short and with due apologies, no comparison will be done for the time being.

Last edited:
hey Dilip,

All the best with your relocation, where are you moving to?
dont apologize for not caring-out this shootout, you did a very good job with the emotiva vs. marantz review...

I for one have decided to buy the emotiva purely based on your feedback, my set-up is very similar to your... therefore I am hoping the emotive will sound better to me ear like it did to you ear.

Thank you and good luck

Back