Discog's Collection Valuation

tek

So I dunno if many of you use Discogs to catalogue your collections, but I recently stumbled upon a cool feature. Turns out you can see what your collection is worth based on the last 10 sales of that particular item in the marketplace! That's quite cool! However, some that have not been sold recently will not be listed, so you don't really get a completely accurate figure, but it's still interesting.

I thought it would be a cool idea to list out the top 10 max value records in everyones' collection. Would be fun! Mine are as follows in descending order:

1) Tsuyushi Yamamoto Trio - Midnight Sugar
2) The Beatles - With the Beatles (Mono)
3) Red House Painters - Bridge
4) Red House Painters - Rollercoaster
5) The Beatles - Please Please Me
6) Modest Mouse - Building Nothing Out Of Something
7) Led Zeppelin - III
8) The Doors - Strange Days
9) Red House Painters - Old Ramon
10) Mark Kozelek - White Christmas/Little Drummer Boy Live

I'm pretty sure I have other records that may be worth more than some of these like Strange Days or some of the Beatles ones.. especially some of the Three Blind Mice Jazz records, but I guess those have not sold yet on the marketplace and hence the system doesn't know their value. It's funny that 4/10 are Mark Kozelek/Red House Painters records!

What about everyone else? What are the most valued ones you have?

Hi Tek,

I've just started using Discogs cos the Crate Digger app on the iPhone syncs with Discogs to download your collection. Will post if something turns up to be valuable!

regards

Hi Tek,

It's a cool pastime to check on the value of one's collection, but do note that there is a whole world of minutiae regarding covers/labels/pressings that actually separate the high priced stuff - rarity is the prime attribute, followed by a bunch of other factors, not all of them logical - from the mass product. Don't know much about some of your more contemporary listings, but an LP like 'Please Please Me' has a bunch of variations, starting with the short lived Gold/Black Parlophone label (1963) to the Black/Silver label (1969 and beyond). Prices vary at all times from those based on known eBay sales, to private dealer sales to collectors. Rougly, prices for Please Please Me vary from:

Gold/Black Stereo (1963) - $5000+
Gold/Black Mono (1963)- $ 2000+
Yellow Black Stereo (1963-69)- $100+
Yellow Black Mono (1963-69)- $100+
Silver Black Stereo/Mono (1969 ..) - $50+

Within these, too, there are plenty of minor variations and also EMI internal codes that indicate stamper/mother provenance. Plus, the prices tend to be for LPs in NM condition; they reduce for VG+, VG, G, and so on.

Still, you can be lucky sometimes, and chance upon a major rarity, even in the Indian used LP market.
cheers!

Yep, that's what's fun about it. I don't really get into the seriousness or nitty gritty of it. I've heard of those Gold/Black Please Please Me's. The one I have is the Yellow Black stereo one that belonged to my dad. So, I wouldn't really sell any of these records as they mean too much to me. I don't think any record I own crosses the $300-$500 mark, although there's a couple of Avant Garde ones (Schaffer, Henry, etc) that come pretty close! It's also fun to pick up stuff from the used Indian market and come home and see if it's worth anything! It's funny what some people throw out these days!

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back