DIY F-Clamp for speaker build saved me around 7k

Naveenbnc

Hey guys, I placed an order for 2 F-clamps for holding the speakers while the glue sets hard. I roamed around in local market, and they quoted too much.

Finally i found them in Industry buying.com for about 1200 each, and placed order for 2 pieces. If they were good, the plan was to purchase total 8 pieces. (Too expensive, and disappointing, but I had no choice)

After placing the order, i waited for a week. Then finally after some follow up, they said stocks are not available, and cancelled my order. Really frustrating !!! I had to follow up for money return.

Left with no other choice i decided to build them on my own. I worked on a couple of designs, but their fabrication cost was equally heavy !!!

After lot of thinking, and scraping some designs i came up with a simple and easy design.
I made them with nuts and bolts, aluminum flat bars cut to size, and drilled holes.
A welded a nut to a right angle corner strip found in a hardware store.
Finally i got all 8 pieces under 1500.
Which would have coated me around 8k :D:D

How it works can be easily understood from this pic
Screenshot_2018-09-01-23-44-00-422_com.miui.gallery.png

Good Job Naveen. It’s a DIY with DIYed tools !!! Well done !
Best part is...since the idea is working, we can make them stronger, and for any length we need. We can use angle bars instead of flat bars if needed. And some other improvements as we need...

Very Nice... loved them. I also want to make these clams but till date, never got a time to sit and design them properly. I Still have the will to built these clamps, Some day i will make them for sure.

Awesome work :)

I would suggest to use wooden blocks when the bolts are clamped on the boxes to have even pressure as well as not damaging the planks.

Naveen, if you're comfortable working with wood there are many videos on how to make innovative bar clamps on YouTube. Some are really simple.

Oh ok as from the pictures I thought you are using some papers.
Ya ya...those are while testing ..☺️

Naveen, if you're comfortable working with wood there are many videos on how to make innovative bar clamps on YouTube. Some are really simple.
Ya ya ...I saw a few of them. They are damn strong and pretty good too. For my purpose, i wanted them to be very light weight (used aluminum), just strong enough for clamping medium size bookshelfs. And I most importantly, tried to avoid welding as far as I can. So there is only one weld for nut. The rest are small screws and nuts.

A word of caution about industrybuying.com

They are here to cause inconvenience to others. Last year I ordered a sewage motor from them as it was listed at a very competitive price. But after few weeks when I didn't receive the item, I started following up with them. After one Month they said that it's not in stock and refunded my money. I checked online about their customer review and it's full of negative. Almost all customers has the same story to tell.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back