DIY kit build assembly from Eight Audio ,Hyderabad

nn_in

Wanted to start the journey with MOSFET based discrete amp.

>Fyi : Some other MOSFET builds in the backlog include Fetzilla (awaiting GB in diyaudio site),PeeCeeBee (PCB and board parts in place ; need to stuff them) ; thanks to Shaan)and ESP P101 (PCB to be stuffed as parts need to be ordered)
>Kickstarted with a semi-diy as all the assembled boards and associated interconnects were available with eight audio.

Materials procured
1.Power Amps (MOSFET)boards
2.Pre Amp tone control
3.DC PS for Power Amp and separate DC PS for Pre Amp
4.Transformer
5.Loudspeaker protection board
5.Cabinet (very basic version)
6.Heatsink ( i used only heatsink to mount both the boards as i don't plan to drive the power amp into high volumes for hours !)
7.All interconnects cable, power switch,spkr and rca terminals ,power socket and wires
Support and other info:
Pricing is as shown on the website.
Response was timely for pre and post sales.
Shipping was done on time as committed.
As of now there are no manual for instructions. So you need prior experience to assemble and interconnect correctly .
Power Up :
Everything worked in first power.
As anticipated. No on/off thumps in spkr due to LS relay
*Only step inbetween ;checked DC power outputs before connecting to Power Amp boards*
Sound :
The amp is driving q-acoustics 2020i.
Playback is from mass produced CD player.

Attachments

• 20160220_182926.jpg
    20160220_182926.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 390
Hi,
Nice looking build.
Please could you put up your parts list, sources, cost, time to build and your listening impression?
TIA

Hi,
Nice looking build.
Please could you put up your parts list, sources, cost, time to build and your listening impression?
TIA

Parts : its all pre-assembled PCB ie modules bought online from eightaudio hyderabad.
Just total up the modules costing ;Total should be in the range of Rs8,500 to Rs 10,000 (Do a quick check )

Time to build : 4-5days (max) assuming you have all interconnects and supporting electrical (DMM) and basic mechanical tools in place.

Other info:

Two heat sinks were provided .I used only one heat sink as i was not going to play very high volumes.

Maybe need to build a few more MOSFET amps to make any inputs on how it sounds.

Some additional pics.

Attachments

• 3EA 20160220_182853.jpg
    3EA 20160220_182853.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 280
  • 4EA 20160125_174933.jpg
    4EA 20160125_174933.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 279
Your first picture shows the heat sinks sitting on the chassis. It has no free air flow. It will heat up very quickly. Fins must always be vertically aligned for proper air flow. In any other direction you should use a fan at the end to blow air over the fins. Your current position is the worst way you can fix a heat sink !

Heat kills ! The life of your electronics is directly related to how hot it gets. Play it very hot and it's lifetime will drop considerably.

Switching on/off of fan in room causing speakers "pops".Maybe need to install a varistor or emi/filter module in the DIY amp.

Switching on/off of fan in room causing speakers "pops".Maybe need to install a varistor or emi/filter module in the DIY amp.
Make sure you connect the chassis to earth ground. Additional connection between DC 0 reference and chassis using ground isolator will help.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back