DIY media servers

Ashutosh78

Hi experts

Sorry for the long post but I am new at this so have a lot of queries.

I am starting A diy media server project from tomorrow using a old desktop PC.

My aim is to digitise around 35 DVD's and 15 vcds and 40 ACDs and stream it to apple tv using Itunes.

Currently my plan is to format the hard disk (500 gb) install a skeleton windows xp OS.
load Itunes and configure it to start on booting.
Rip all my CD's / DVD's and add them to Itunes.

Since apple tv only plays .MP4 extension i will need to rip them to MP4 format.

My queries.

Which DVD ripping software can i use to ensure that these dvds are ripped with DTS and dd 5.1 sound as well as the menu structure on the
DVD as it is in MP4 format. (some of my DVDs have DTS option as well)

I also want to convert my audio CDs to mp3 but loss less as apple tv does not play FLAC.

is there a application that as soon as i load a dvd to the drive immediately will instruct the system to start ripping process without me having to give any instructions and add it to the itunes. (i know this could be a bit too far fetched.)

I am also looking to minimise the bootup time so ubuntu is an option. Is it user freindly and will itunes work on ubuntu or any work around.

I dont have a spare screen. So once setup i really wanted the server to manage itself without requiring to use any screen. for that i was thinking about using the Remote desktop app on Ipad. any other option.

Any other suggestions/tips are welcome

thanks very much

Wow have i asked something wrong 87 views and no answer

Can somedody help me through the ripping procee and software to use for. That would be a good start

Wow have i asked something wrong 87 views and no answer

Can somedody help me through the ripping procee and software to use for. That would be a good start

There is a thread by aashish i think here in the htpc section for vorterbox ripping server that he has built. Just go thru it I think you might get your answers.

Thanks

Ashutosh,

Vortexbox:
1. Auto rips CDs to FLAC and makes an ALAC & a MP3 version simultaneously. (ALAC is Apple Lossless Audio Codec).
2. Serves FLACs to Logitech Squeezebox, Sonos, other high end Music Streamers
3. Serves ALACs to Apple TV, iDevices through in-built iTunes Server
4. Serves MP3s to DLNA clients
5. Auto rips DVDs to MKV and makes MP4 version simultaneously
6. Serves MKVs to Network Media Players, Network Blu-Ray players, Computers
7. Serves MP4s to DLNA clients
8. Servers MP4s to Apple devices through iTunes

One word of caution, Apple plays a lot of spoil sports and new versions of iTunes in computers, idevices, apple tvs sometimes don't work with the itunes server methodology used in vortexbox. (I am not sure of this completely. Vortexbox Forums is sea of information).

VortexBox user forum - News

And yes, it works headless once installed!

Ashutosh,

Vortexbox:
1. Auto rips CDs to FLAC and makes an ALAC & a MP3 version simultaneously. (ALAC is Apple Lossless Audio Codec).

One word of caution, Apple plays a lot of spoil sports and new versions of iTunes in computers, idevices, apple tvs sometimes don't work with the itunes server methodology used in vortexbox. (I am not sure of this completely. Vortexbox Forums is sea of information).

That was great bit of information mate thanks a lot

Ashutosh,

Vortexbox:

just a quick question on vortex box

are there any options or specific process to rip DVDs which have DTS and DD both into mp4 (also will it also include the menu options from the DVD)

I have not researched much into the DVD ripping feature, but by default, DVDs are ripped using a software called makeMKV. It can be converted to a purchased version which has a lot more features. Check out more about makeMKV from its website and from the vortexbox.org

Apart from this, vortexbox is based of the fedora 16 linux platform and therefore should have a lot possibilities.

Since apple tv only plays .MP4 extension i will need to rip them to MP4 format.

My understanding of streaming to an apple tv:

Apple tv supports streaming over the lan using AirPlay only for which you will need a mac computer. The other option is through home sharing, the problem with home sharing is that the video/audio is streamed through the internet and not local lan. Your internet traffic will skyrocket.

Please let me know if there is another way to stream to an apple tv, I would like to fix my system.

What I have done is installed XBMC on the apple tv and use a samba share from my ubuntu server.

Which DVD ripping software can i use to ensure that these dvds are ripped with DTS and dd 5.1 sound as well as the menu structure on the
DVD as it is in MP4 format. (some of my DVDs have DTS option as well)
Once you have decided your server os and how you are going to stream there are many options. If you use XBMC then you are not restricted to .mp4. Handbrake is a very good option. You can also use VLC Player to rip videos in good quality.

I also want to convert my audio CDs to mp3 but loss less as apple tv does not play FLAC.

If you are going to use iTunes then no need for another tool to rip to ALAC, it will take care itself.

I dont have a spare screen. So once setup i really wanted the server to manage itself without requiring to use any screen. for that i was thinking about using the Remote desktop app on Ipad. any other option.
If its going to be an ubuntu server then use webadmin. Remote desktop for ubuntu from the apple platforms are not really that great. I am not sure about iPad but if you are going to use a mac then Chicken of the VNC is best option.

I think you need to decide on your server first.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back