DIY open baffle build with Ahuja SK12FRX

Alertify

Always wanted to build one. This is first try after lurking this forum for a while and reading about open baffle setups as well as SK12 drivers.

DiYyQ0p.jpg

4 x 12 inch full range drivers on each side and two 12 inch woofers (not in view).

The drivers are Ahuja SK12FR, sourced locally.

Subs are JBl 1500 HI

Left and right speakers sets are in a series and driven by a crown amp (2 channel) .

Woofers are driven by different JBL amp.

Signal chain - Apple TV -> AVR -> line output for left and right channel goes to a 31 band graphic equalizer -> high mid to Crown amp and low end to JBL amp.

Last edited:
Wow!!! Congrats...

Is it 8Ohms or 4Ohms version? Did you connect all drivers in series?

Coming from Klipsch Heresy IIIs, Ahuja FRs surprised me when I tried them on a cardboard baffle. Alas, never proceeded to build a proper baffle.

Wow!!! Congrats...

Is it 8Ohms or 4Ohms version? Did you connect all drivers in series?

Coming from Klipsch Heresy IIIs, Ahuja FRs surprised me when I tried them on a cardboard baffle. Alas, never proceeded to build a proper baffle.
Hi Subbu, your comments helped a lot in learning about this. Have read pretty much all your comments i think.

This is 8ohms version, connected in series.

Haven't tried in parallel yet. I have this amp - Crown XLi 800. Any suggestions?

Hi Subbu, your comments helped a lot in learning about this. Have read pretty much all your comments i think.

This is 8ohms version, connected in series.

Haven't tried in parallel yet. I have this amp - Crown XLi 800. Any suggestions?
Since you have 4 of 8Ohm drivers per channel, series will make it 32Ohm. Can the amp drive it? Would it not reduce the output?

Connect 2 drivers in series and the two series sets in parallel. Results in 8Ohm.

Someone an expert in speaker design and familiar with your amp can guide better I believe.

Always wanted to build one. This is first try after lurking this forum for a while and reading about open baffle setups as well as SK12 drivers.

DiYyQ0p.jpg

4 x 12 inch full range drivers on each side and two 12 inch woofers (not in view).

The drivers are Ahuja SK12FR, sourced locally.

Subs are JBl 1500 HI

Left and right speakers sets are in a series and driven by a crown amp (2 channel) .

Woofers are driven by different JBL amp.

Signal chain - Apple TV -> AVR -> line output for left and right channel goes to a 31 band graphic equalizer -> high mid to Crown amp and low end to JBL amp.
Wow... Looks really well built and a very professional finish. Congratulations 😍😍

Looks fantastic to begin with !!! Can you share a pic showing both left and right speakers please ... Theoritically all such builds come with some positive and some negative resluts.

Please let us know how it sounds. Eagerly waiting !!! 😀😀👍

The attached is a near field graph of Sk12Frx I measured long back. Sharing just for info...highs are definitely not linear, but because of higher sensitivity and power handling and driver size etc this driver may sound more dynamic and room filling. Eager to know how ur setup sounds .... 😊

Attachments

• IMG_20230116_151601.jpg
    IMG_20230116_151601.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 29
Awesome attempt. Very well done and white baffle is neat. I have a bit of experience with xli and sk fr drivers.
Series and parallel will result is 8 ohm load per channel which will provide a better load for amplifier.
For better linear airt highs it's better to opt for a good tweeter ,hf from beyma with horn loading or some peerless models with inductor to rollout the high end from sk12 s will create a far more stress free and most importantly reduced comb filtering resulting linear airy highs.
You can place the tweeter between 2 sets.
They are very capable drivers but needs some break in or burn in to sound optimal.
They don't need a whole lot of watts to drive them as they are pretty sensitive. More over in your setup the sensitivity will easily cross triple digit figure. A better high quality amplifier with minidsp active system can make your life so easy by tuning them optimally.
ping me if I can be of any help.
Kudos to you brother.

Wow, wow, wow!!!
I didn't know there are so many Ahuja wide band driver lovers.

I am using Ahuja FR models for long, 10 years and almost continuously. Funny, people without listening them on a proper baffle used to call them bad products.

For me, these (SK 12 and DF 12) models are pretty good for their price and easy availability across India. Much more than pretty good.

Coming back to the superb work @Alertify has done - BRAVO! Neat, beautiful, simple yet gorgeous.

I echo all the requests done by others.

Would love to hear them in physically someday. Will reach out to you if I am ever in B'lore for any reason.

Hi OP,

For some reason the image is not displayed.
Where did you get the plan for OB like this?

Can you also please guide me on how to build a cabinet and components to chose?

I am newbie!

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back